Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #57
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Your car looks really great! I really love all the lighting you have done. I have got to take the plunge soon on mine and start trying this.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #58
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
Autobot's unite!!!

I looked at what everybody was doing with the afterburner tail lights and thought, well I can do it different if not better... Well I wanted to continue the Transformer's theme inside them. I found these little glowing edge LED Autobot symbols. I sanded off the chrome to make see through and added black border all the way around. The idea was to have the glowing red take place of the running lights.

Well I took out the tail light, cut it open, removed the factory diffuser and put in mine. It looked pretty sick, see pic below. But honestly it wasn't up to my standards of a "factory" look. The symbol didn't take up the entire space, to narrow, and the chrome was showing from behind. Even if I painted the inside black so the head floated it still looked off. Let alone how hot the factory bulbs get and what havoc they could play on LED's. And the factory bulbs show orange, never noticed before.

So I ended up lighting the front of my stereo system. Showing off the 1 Ohm stable Amp, 0 gauge wire and 2 Farad Capacitor. I had bought some very bright cool white LED's for this project and used just 6 to get the effect you see below. See, I can do subtle!!! No video needed, pretty simple little job. Once before I had a spare Knight Rider light above the system, but it was always on and to bright. I think this makes the statement I wanted Oh, I still have one amber Head left... Hmmmm, ideas?
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #59
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
really cool mod i like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoMBiE_KMF View Post

I dig this mod. Really cool.

The car wash is awesome too.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #60
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Project engine cover!!!

For this one it was all about the planning. Ok, I kinda dragged my feet on this one. I was hesitant because I had seen all the great stuff everyone else had been doing. I like to take it all in and make mine even better!!!

Two things were a given, IOM color and LED's, of course The center section of LS engines has always been black, and resembles the middle of our engine covers. I went with black, but Carbon Flash Metallic like the 45th Anniv. editions, I had the paint lying around The side tiny little sections were meant to resemble valve covers, or chrome/silver. Well I researched spray painting chrome and did a bunch of tests. No dice. I went with a metallic silver.

Obviously the big Chevy sections needed to be body colored and I filled in the Cheverolet with black, regular black:P I knew the fake bolts on this section had to go, so I replaced them with 10mm LED's in chrome holders. Kinda like lite up bolts or something cool. Finally I added a $5 controller to make the lights pulse like a heart beat all on a switch mounted on the 12v jump point. The EC itself plugs in or out with a 12v plug like a laptop. Easy peasy, lemon squeasy.

Waited a week before putting in car, a month to wax and no problems with paint Pic's speak for themselfs, turned out awesome!!! This project led to so much more!!!

Pic's show original, before orange, wiring, cleared but with runs and dull, one of it after sanding, then after polishing with reflection of lamp, outside, couple on engine and one with lights and another I made for my car club Pres. Alex Calixto. Last pic's are current with a rear-glowing IOM bow tie. Finally done!!!

Check out the video now in HD!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 09-18-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Add pic's
nicave13@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #61
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Quick mod, door welcome or courtesy light!

This one was quick and cheap. Cost $29 and installed with help in less than an hour. Looks cool, no real function, like most of my stuff

See my DIY on how to install it,

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243813
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #62
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Project clean up the engine bay!!!

So this is gonna be a multiple part thread. Still "a work in progress"... In fact I may never finish. One reason I dragged my feet doing the engine cover is cause it meant I'd have to do all this. This one's gonna take a while...

No way I'm going as in depth as this thread, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ing+engine+bay

This person is simply amazing. They have the skills, money and time to do the unthinkable. I am in awe of this project and will do my own attempt at greatness.

I wrote out the entire project with time estimates and I under shot at 40 hours for the painting alone. The following is a list of what I plan on doing and how they are going.

1. Make gloss black the radiator cover plate, fuse box lid and ABS cover. Done, see this post.
2. Get aftermarket Cold Air Intake and customize it possibly including painting it. Bought, and added glowing bowtie displaying RS/SS.
3. Remove plastic cowl in windshield wiper area. Smooth it and paint it gloss black with custom orange lettering Finished, and re-did it to my liking.
4. Planning on having entire underside of hood wrapped in a Transformer theme. Ended up making a white acrylic panel with 22" Autobot logo and moving LED's, see page 5.
5. Design, buy and install a custom lighting system. This one may or may not happen. Getting flack for soooooooooooo many LED's and lights. If I do it will be RGB, have no exposed LED's and be EXTREMELY BRIGHT!!! lol Did it!!! Pulsing engine cover, engine spot light and full RGB dream color moving lights!!! lol
6. Final and most difficult will be re-spraying factory orange to fix blemishes. Then fixing the factory's mistake, clear coating the entire engine bay. Possibly wet sanding and buffing to remove orange peel. Of course outside of car is covered in it so... DONE!!! See thread below, well worth it, what a difference!!!

Wow, ambitious as always. Of course some mod's never before done, like the ABS cover, boy is that thing fragile and full of electronics! Painting the cowl... And of course the ridiculous lighting project. If ever done it will truly be amazing and one of a kind. I don't want to think of how much it'll cost total. I may total it at the end. Enjoy!!!

Pic's are my original dirty engine, yeah that's how I kept it. Cleaned. Fuse and ABS installed. Wet sanding rad piece. It's shine. And rad piece installed.
Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 03-31-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Finished projects
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #63
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

At this point my only competition is myself :P

To top all my other LED projects one final "large" LED build. First off in January of 2012 I had, as far as I know, the only RGB color changing behind the brake rotor glowing wheels world wide. Others had done single colors, so I stepped it up. Still haven't seen RGB in the US, but I have seen them in Europe and Asia. Time to take the next step and do my wheels in Magic Dream Color moving or chasing LED's.

I had to go direct to the manufacturer in Japan and instead of normal silicon tube dream, no longer weatherproof when cut, I got special epoxy encased dream color made. Took 5 weeks and actually cost less than my first dash set, but since they have gone down in $ too. Got same 6803 four wire 12V only Dream. Even has same controller and remote, so I put them on separate switches. My one 12V power supply has no trouble doing both.

To be honest this should have been easier but different wiring and wider strips forced me to soldier and re-soldier more times than I can count. I'm talking 80 soldiers doing some in the wheel well during a rain storm. Yes, I can be obsessive. This time I made bigger full circle's but I did mount to my original brackets. Oh, I kept the old RGB ones too. They can be left on while parked for hours =D

The lights start their paths at the tops of each wheel. I split them evenly so certain patterns flash one or the other and the lights trace back and forth. Yeah, I put a lot of thinking into this. Total I would say 80 soldiers, 34 butt splice connectors, 160 inches of metal plumbers tape, brakets, bolts, epoxy and oh about 240 feet total of single stranded wire or 60 feet of four wires in one jacket I used. Whew!

First video is my "bench" testing them in the house. Man was that fun! They are soooooooooooooo bright with the white wall behind and all four next to each other. Would light up my entire living room even during day time!

Next is the final product. Wish I had a better video camera. Anyway, they turned out awesome! Oh, the camera can't keep up with the LED's, they are crazy fast

Pic's show an un-lite ring. The four strips before mounting. And the test shots with split colors
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #64
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Your car suits where your from...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #65
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Engine bay update, almost done!!!

Yes, I got super busy this week. I finally got time to re-paint and clear coat under my hood. Silly GM decided not to clear it, so I fixed their mistake and did a better job than they could. I wrote a lengthy DIY about it, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245864

Basically I had to remove tons of stuff, wheels, fender liners, bumper, fuse panel, wiring, 12v jump point, etc. I scuffed all the paint up and washed real well with vinegar and dish soap to remove all residues and make paint stick real good Pretty easy painting and clearing, hardest part was masking it good.

While I was at it I painted the 12v jump point body colored, it was already red... Then I painted the black exposed portions of my grille body color as well. I also finished up the panel by the windshield wipers. The lettering turned out perfect, but I had issues with the black paint and it didn't turn out to my standards. I may redo entire panel sometime soon, if I get time.

Check it out and the pictures below!!! It turned out so good

Pic's show the car prepped for painting all masked off. Then shows pre-paint, painted and finally clear coated. Then a shot of finished product in the dark then 3 wide angle showing off in the sun. Then a shot of each shock tower and the repainted grille and 12v jump point. Finally a shot of the quote.

Enjoy!

New HD Vid!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 09-18-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #66
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

I said I would, and I did... Engine bay lighting.

When I broke down my list of work for under the hood, I mentioned I might light it up and boy did I!!! This isn't even showing the red lights on engine cover, spot light and bow ties, I will post soon. This is just me being me. I already re-painted and cleared everything so it's shiny. I wanted a way to make that clear pop and shimmer. It's a lighting thing... I had an idea in my mind and I made it happen. Before anyone hates, the daytime photos show it's very stealthy, just a small black strip with white dots. Most wouldn't notice if I didn't pointed out.

Below are day time photos showing work, which I may still clean up a little. Check out the solid color photos and the split separated color photos below!!!

But first, the VIDEO!!!

New HD Video!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by nicave13@gmail.com; 09-18-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #67
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Where did you run your wires for your engine lights? I'm having a hard time figure out where I want to run them... I have grill lights, and engine bay lights so I have like 6 wires total or so... it's a rats nest right now.

Oh, and by the way........ I am in love with your mods. They are awesome!!!
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #68
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Running wires

When at all possible I try and use the black wire loom plastic tube things. There purpose is some protection, but mostly looks. All my wheel lights and grill lights run along drivers side through to large holes with grommets into area above drivers feet. In the engine bay they are below the shock tower where the ABS sensor wire comes into from the wheel well. I still have to clean up the most recent wiring, but it's passable for now.

I have an auto so there is some extra room in there. Any lights from passenger side of car I run forward and then around beneath the radiator, but not in the front bumper b/c it comes off, a lot. All my controllers are in that area as well. Currently 4 controllers and the amp for outdoor speakers as well as 5 switches. It all looks clean buttoned up, but open is another story. I really do my best to keep things clean and simple and use fuses for all power.

I hope this helps. And thank you so much for the kind words. It's a lot of work, and really has no use or purpose but to look cool. At this point I do it to amuse my self, continue the theme and take cool pictures. All my lights and stuff together wouldn't even add up to a set of headers in cost.

Post a link to your build so I can check it out. Or any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
Where did you run your wires for your engine lights? I'm having a hard time figure out where I want to run them... I have grill lights, and engine bay lights so I have like 6 wires total or so... it's a rats nest right now.

Oh, and by the way........ I am in love with your mods. They are awesome!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #69
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Old 09-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #70
CAMAROZL1

Drives: Point A to B Car until ZL1
You have an incredible amount of talent with LED's!!! Very nice!!

Tags
led transformers turbo