Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
newest top out by gm (6/27/12) and retrofit for early models

i picked up my early build 2012 vert from the dealer today after almost 3 weeks there. they didnt replace the top yet, but i pryed for some info as to what they have on order for my car, and figured id post here, and see if anyone has more detailed info than me on how this newest design top will fit on the early build verts (build dates before 02/12).

my vert has the rub marks above the doors, and waves on both sides (since the recall was performed no waves prior). it also has a v-shaped cut behind the quarter window. this is obviously due to the bad 1st designed mechanism, and not the top itself.

the dealer said they have a "new top" on order that became available 6/27/12 part number 22972088. i asked if this was a complete new assembly, and when he looked it up for me, it is just the fabric, and he said it has 4 new mount points that will be riveted to my (defective) mechanism, along with replacing the 2nd bow (due to the new top not because i have a problem with mine), and some brackets that will be put on as well.

i asked if this will stop the old mechanisms from pinching and cutting the new top, but he couldnt give me a straight answer, because he didnt know. i also asked if they would update the water management system, and he said no not to his knowledge they wont....

i then said that the second design that came out (02/12) part number 22903697 was a complete assembly, with new water management bag, mechanism, etc. the top was just a bolt on complete unit, and i would much rather have that done instead so i dont have any future problems with the top. they arent going to do it that way, and are "assuring" me that a gm regional person that specializes in the tops is going to install mine.

so basically, the way i understand the newest design they are coming out with is going to have to be pieced in, and will be somewhat a hybrid of the original crap design, with a few new parts and brackets. to me thats not really all that "assuring" so id love to hear from anyone that has more info on this, or has had the newest design installed on their early build 2012/2011 verts. i just want to be as informed as possible so i know what im talking about (and what their saying) when dealing with this next month when the parts are supposedly coming in.

thanks in advance.
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneypit View Post
i picked up my early build 2012 vert from the dealer today after almost 3 weeks there. they didnt replace the top yet, but i pryed for some info as to what they have on order for my car, and figured id post here, and see if anyone has more detailed info than me on how this newest design top will fit on the early build verts (build dates before 02/12).

my vert has the rub marks above the doors, and waves on both sides (since the recall was performed no waves prior). it also has a v-shaped cut behind the quarter window. this is obviously due to the bad 1st designed mechanism, and not the top itself.

the dealer said they have a "new top" on order that became available 6/27/12 part number 22972088. i asked if this was a complete new assembly, and when he looked it up for me, it is just the fabric, and he said it has 4 new mount points that will be riveted to my (defective) mechanism, along with replacing the 2nd bow (due to the new top not because i have a problem with mine), and some brackets that will be put on as well.

i asked if this will stop the old mechanisms from pinching and cutting the new top, but he couldnt give me a straight answer, because he didnt know. i also asked if they would update the water management system, and he said no not to his knowledge they wont....

i then said that the second design that came out (02/12) part number 22903697 was a complete assembly, with new water management bag, mechanism, etc. the top was just a bolt on complete unit, and i would much rather have that done instead so i dont have any future problems with the top. they arent going to do it that way, and are "assuring" me that a gm regional person that specializes in the tops is going to install mine.

so basically, the way i understand the newest design they are coming out with is going to have to be pieced in, and will be somewhat a hybrid of the original crap design, with a few new parts and brackets. to me thats not really all that "assuring" so id love to hear from anyone that has more info on this, or has had the newest design installed on their early build 2012/2011 verts. i just want to be as informed as possible so i know what im talking about (and what their saying) when dealing with this next month when the parts are supposedly coming in.

thanks in advance.
Same exact thing I am dealing with on a '11 2SS Vert. Art Spong himself notified the factory rep to deny an entire mechanism and new top for our car, even though it's the mechanism that is the problem. No answer back on my response to that unethical behavior to this date. I called them out on it and was ignored, except for the fact that I did get the decision turned around within an hour. That fiasco is a story in itself. Posted a little while back. That would have been a slam dunk lawsuit. Anyhow, they are definitely replacing my canvas, the parts are in - notified 7/9. Also a new carpet because of water bag failure. No new mechanism. The dealer is farming it out to a guy that works out of his garage. (No shit.)

I am hoping for the best, but I am prepared and well documented to entertain the worst. If they would just man up and do the right thing, replace the whole top in one piece as it comes off the pallet, but this organization just loves to fight their customers when they have an obvious design flaw. The stains and the smell in that damaged carpet have all come back, the car wash style shampooing they did for that fix was a total failure. But - a new carpet will be installed after the top is put on and the water leak checks are all performed. What I am told, anyway. It's almost like they are ignorant to the fact. Go figure. Anyhow, I'll be posting what they did when I get the car back with lots of pictures on this last attempt for documentation. Hoping for the best, I want this nightmare to be over.

On that new canvas part number, do all of the parts indicated to install it correctly come with the kit? Or does the dealer need to order more than just the canvas part number?

At any rate, you should be getting that top real soon, they are shipping rather quickly right now from what I can see on the forum.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I have an April build from this year. Compared to my 7/26/11 build the new one is far superior. The old one was already in the shop for 23 days and top replaced after 5 weeks. The only thing the new one has been in for is an oil change
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
themoneypit

glad your new one is working out well birdible!! thats what i wanted for mine was the second design complete assembly. im not too hopeful that a hybrid assembly is going to be much success... but its their last chance. im at 19 days (out of the 30 needed for lemon law) in the shop. also, the repaint of the rear quarter has half dozen dirt specs and fish eyes, so ill be having them re-do that AGAIN when it goes in for the top replacement.

cactus, i have no idea if the new canvas will come as a retro kit with all the parts or not, thats a damn good question and i will call the dealer back tomorrow and ask him that. ill post back when i know.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
cactuseater

Drives: .
Thanks! (24 days total for mine, and they will go over that with this top #3 installation attempt. Last chance. Not only that, I still have the "We Owe" slip to have this top replaced correctly as a condition of sale of the car. Got them coming and going. Check out my photo album, it's hysterical.

Last edited by cactuseater; 07-10-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added....
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
themoneypit

no problem. if there are other part numbers for parts, i will try and get those as well.

on a side note thou, they have another one ahead of mine that will be done first. so i guess they can be the guinea pig. he said he will do that one first, then give it a week and call that customer to see how everything is holding up before even calling me to schedule mine. i told him im okay with that unless i have more problems before then...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
themoneypit

i ended up taking a ride to the dealer this morning instead of calling them. reasons: they painted the rear quarter (due to defective orig paint), and there are half a dozen spots of dirt and such in the new paint job, and it looks like crap!! noticed it when i washed it this morning, and got all the dust/pollen off of it.

also, on my list of issues when i dropped it off 3wks ago, i complained of a burning smell (some type of fluid leaking), when i picked it up yesterday they told me there were no leaks that they could find. i took it to dunkin donuts this morning for a coffee with the a/c on and smelled the smell again when i stopped. so i got home, popped the hood, and in 30 seconds found the leak that they couldnt find in 3 weeks of having the car... the brake fluid resevoir cap was leaking and dripping down the plastic fender well, and hitting the exhaust!! i was like wtf really, they couldnt see that!!! it jumped right out at me when i opened the hood... so they took one off of a new camaro on the lot so i wouldnt have to come back tomorrow and have the one they ordered installed.

back to topic thou, when i asked about the top coming as a "retro kit" they said they had no idea what will come with it until the first one arrives and they open the box.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneypit View Post
...the brake fluid resevoir cap was leaking and dripping down the plastic fender well, and hitting the exhaust!! i was like wtf really, they couldnt see that!!! it jumped right out at me when i opened the hood... so they took one off of a new camaro on the lot so i wouldnt have to come back tomorrow and have the one they ordered installed.
Mine leaks, but doesn't drip (yet). The dealer said, "All brake reservoir caps 'breathe'." What a crock.

Uh, oh! Here comes the Thread Police. Bye!
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Mine leaks, but doesn't drip (yet). The dealer said, "All brake reservoir caps 'breathe'." What a crock.

That is a crock, because there's a TSB from GM that calls for a different cap. I had it done recently myself.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Thanks for the tips guys. I will pound my GM district manager with detailed questions next week after he gets a chance to talk with Art about my car. He claims he is going to order me a new top with mechanism but it sounds like you guys are ahead of my district manager and a hybrid solution may be my future.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I have an April build from this year. Compared to my 7/26/11 build the new one is far superior. The old one was already in the shop for 23 days and top replaced after 5 weeks. The only thing the new one has been in for is an oil change
I love to hear this! My 2013 is at order status 3000 with a projected build week of 7/30. I'm hoping to have good news regarding the new car when I get some miles put on it.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
RJTV6A

Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
That is a crock, because there's a TSB from GM that calls for a different cap. I had it done recently myself.
Can you check to see a part number on your invoice. I want to make I get the right one.
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
themoneypit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post

few hundred miles with the new cap on and no more leaks, the top of the master cylinder resevoir is dry as a bone. so yeah, i call on what your dealer told you also...

Tags
tag