Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
This is probably the better advice to follow. And less likely to foul your TPMS sensors.
Exactly. Neither the plugs nor the slime are good for the tire, but at least I won't ruin the sensor. I would also tend to trust the plug a little more. I'm suspicious of the, "Fix-A-Flat".
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Exactly. Neither the plugs nor the slime are good for the tire, but at least I won't ruin the sensor. I would also tend to trust the plug a little more. I'm suspicious of the, "Fix-A-Flat".
When you get tired plugged at the tire shop, they are pretty much doing the same thing as your portable plug kit.

Remove the offending pointy thing that caused the flat
ream out the hole a little
get the tire plug on the plug tool
coat with contact cement
apply tire plug and remove tool
wait 5 minutes for contact cement to cure
fill tire with air
trim the excess tire plug

Easy.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
When you get tired plugged at the tire shop, they are pretty much doing the same thing as your portable plug kit.

coat with contact cement
fill tire with air

Easy.
Oh yeah, I've done it plenty of times...it's just piercing the steel belts, etc. that isn't so good for the tire. But I'll live with it should I need to.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Looks like something everyone should check...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:

coat with contact cement
fill tire with air

Easy.
Are those plugs still legal for a shop to do in your area? I know here they remove the tire from the wheel and plug from the inside. The plug is vulcanized (glued) and has to have a reinforcing patch over the area. That is how it is here.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I bought my 2010 SS used, when I was checking out the trunk area I didn't see any sealer but there was GM air compressor in there....should there have been sealer in there also?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
Here's my experience with the tire inflator/sealant. I was coming home from the Camaro Nationals, about two hours from home, when I got a DIC warning that my drivers side rear tire was 10 lbs low. I found that it was a puncture in the tread, and the object wasn't in anymore.
I followed the instructions after inflating with the sealant, driving a bit to let it seal, then re-inflated the tire and drove home.
The tire held the pressure until I took it to my dealer to get fixed. I couldn't drive over 55 mph, since the sealant put the wheel & tire out of balance slightly, but that's to be expected.
My dealer cleaned out the latex sealant with no problems, then patched the tire inside and plugged it. That was two years and 6,000 miles ago. I have since driven out to Camarofest III, 9 hrs and back at speeds to 90 mph with no problems and the tire still sealed.
The sealant can is ONE USE ONLY. You are supposed to use it until empty. You then need to get a replacement at a dealer for about $30.00. The sealant did no harm to the tire sensor, as it still functions perfectly.
Don't be afraid to use it, just be sure to follow the directions.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One thing I have heard of about using the do it yourself plug kits is they are bad about not sealing every layer of the tire. They can allow the internal air pressure to seep between the inner layer and the belt layer causing separation of the tread. And if it does not seal properly the outter layer water can get in and if you have steel belted tires it can rust the belts. Do it yourself kits should only be used until you can get the tire dismounted and inspected for internal damage. Then it should be properly repaired if possible.

And yes the sealant is not reuseable, once opened it should be thrown away and replaced with a new can.

Quote:
Tire Sealant
Check the tire sealant expiration date on the sealant canister. The sealant canister should be replaced before its expiration date.
Replacement sealant canisters are available at your local dealer. See “Removal and Installation of the
Sealant Canister” following.
There is only enough sealant to seal one tire. After usage, the sealant canister and sealant/air hose
assembly must be replaced. See “Removal and Installation of the Sealant Canister” following.
Read and follow the safe handling instructions on the label adhered to the compressor.
Using the Tire Sealant and Compressor Kit to Temporarily Seal and Inflate a
Punctured Tire
Follow the directions closely for
correct sealant usage.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 07-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote