Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Help with wiring my 2ohm Sub

Another stereo noob installer question.....

I have a 5 ch. amp that puts out 2ohms to sub and a dual coil 2ohm sub. I thought I'd just be running one pair of wires to the sub and connecting to the amp.

Looking at this website - http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...1&I=22#results - which wiring config do I want?

Parrallel for a 1ohm load or Series for a 4ohm load?

Thanks
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
You want to wire it series at 4 ohms. If the amp only can handle a 2 ohm load, parralel wiring wont work.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
EDGE_

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS SIM L99
Coogz, if I remember correctly you are running a XD700/5. On page 10 of the manual it says, "Subwoofer loads below 2 ohms nominal are not recommended and may cause the amplifier to initiate a protection mode which reduces power output." So you'll need to wire it in series (4 ohms). Just remember the XD700/5 subwoofer output is 200W@4ohms or 300W@2ohms.
EDGE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Myyu

Drives: 2012 1LT IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE_ View Post
Coogz, if I remember correctly you are running a XD700/5. On page 10 of the manual it says, "Subwoofer loads below 2 ohms nominal are not recommended and may cause the amplifier to initiate a protection mode which reduces power output." So you'll need to wire it in series (4 ohms). Just remember the XD700/5 subwoofer output is 200W@4ohms or 300W@2ohms.
Was just fixin to ask if his amp was 1ohm stable. lol

Anyway, what Edge said is correct. wire it in series (4ohms).
Myyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Another stereo noob installer question.....

I have a 5 ch. amp that puts out 2ohms to sub and a dual coil 2ohm sub. I thought I'd just be running one pair of wires to the sub and connecting to the amp.

Looking at this website - http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...1&I=22#results - which wiring config do I want?

Parrallel for a 1ohm load or Series for a 4ohm load?

Thanks

no it doesn't an amp doesn't put out a resistance.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Thanks guys.....
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE_ View Post
Yes - I do have a JL XD700/5. When I bought it (since I only have one sub), I was looking at the specs for the amp and - as you mentioned above - it was 200w@4ohms and 300w@2ohms. So I bought a 2ohm sub hoping to get 300w.

I guess 200w will have to do.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I did the same thing and sent the 4 ohm subs back and had the 2 ohm subs shipped not knowing that 2 ohm DVC subs run at 1 or 4, not 2 ohm net. Still haven't got an explanation as to why they call it a 2 ohm if it wont run both coils at 2 ohm net unless you use two of them in parallel.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
EDGE_

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS SIM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Yes - I do have a JL XD700/5. When I bought it (since I only have one sub), I was looking at the specs for the amp and - as you mentioned above - it was 200w@4ohms and 300w@2ohms. So I bought a 2ohm sub hoping to get 300w.

I guess 200w will have to do.
I suspected as much. I went with a JL 12W3v3-2 with the same amp but mine hasn't been delivered yet.
EDGE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I did the same thing and sent the 4 ohm subs back and had the 2 ohm subs shipped not knowing that 2 ohm DVC subs run at 1 or 4, not 2 ohm net. Still haven't got an explanation as to why they call it a 2 ohm if it wont run both coils at 2 ohm net unless you use two of them in parallel.
Because each voice coil is 2ohms. There are 2 voice coils on the sub and each one is 2 ohm. You can run voice coils individually to separate amps if you choose to, so it has to explain what the the impedance is for each individual coil.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
Because each voice coil is 2ohms. There are 2 voice coils on the sub and each one is 2 ohm. You can run voice coils individually to separate amps if you choose to, so it has to explain what the the impedance is for each individual coil.
dont u mean series/parralel to get 2ohm dvc subs to push a 2ohm load?
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTHavok View Post
No, if you take a multimeter and test each set of poles on each voice coil separately, they will read 2ohm. Now if you series them or parallel them together you get 4ohm or 1 ohm. CWI is asking why they dont show a total impedance with both voice coils either series or parallel, but i'm saying is they dont do that because voice coils can be wired individually to their own amps and thats why if it says, 2ohm DVC(dual voice coil), it tells the impedance of each coil by themselves.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
I know a 2ohm DVC has two voice coils, 2 ohms each. My point is if you power both coils, it has to run 1 ohm 0R 4 ohm. If they weren't meant to be run together they wouldn't build them that way. No point in buying a speaker and only using half of it. Therefore you have NOT explained why they call it 2 ohm. I don't know anyone that will only use half of the capacity of such a sub.

I will rephrase the question. Why is a DVC 2 ohm sub called a 2 ohm sub if you can not use it as a whole powering both coils with a 2 ohm amp. Same with a 4 ohm DVC sub. Why call it 4 ohm if it has to run at either 2 or 8 ohm on a single amp. I don't want to hear "it will run at that ohm rating if you power just one coil. I want to know why it is sold as that when it wont run at full capacity at that rating. I don't buy a bottle of whiskey and water it down by mixing it with 50 % water. I'm not going to limit a speaker at half it's potential either.
I know it's the way it is. I have 2 12" subs, 2 0hm DVC, and a 1000 watt amp for each, 2 or 4 ohm. I have to run them at 4 ohm to run a single amp to each. An "expert" explanation will do. I asked this question before and no one has expalain it accurately. If you are not knowledgable, don't try to answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTHavok View Post
I thought we went through this. Not using both coils. Not on a single amp.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
No, if you take a multimeter and test each set of poles on each voice coil separately, they will read 2ohm. Now if you series them or parallel them together you get 4ohm or 1 ohm. CWI is asking why they dont show a total impedance with both voice coils either series or parallel, but i'm saying is they dont do that because voice coils can be wired individually to their own amps and thats why if it says, 2ohm DVC(dual voice coil), it tells the impedance of each coil by themselves.
It should be call 2/2 or 2+2 in that case, not just 2 ohm. If it is marketed as a 2 ohm speaker, it should have one voice coil. A 2 ohm DVC should be marketed as a 1 or 4 ohm or 2+2. Not just 2. I'm just asking why they do it this way. And again, an "expert" would be appreciated.
It simply says 2 ohm DVC on it's title. This would lead someone that does not know how DVC subs are made or utilized to think it would be a fully functioning unit capable of running on a single 2 ohm amp.