Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
5th Gen Z28, Gen V Engine.

Here is a picture taken of the new Gen V 5.5 liter C6R engine. I am pretty excited because I have not seen the engine at all before this picture. This was taken last month by a GM fan.

I will dig up some stats and what I know so far. Just real quick though, this engine produces 470hp and currently is a 5.5 liter. This is the engine I believe should go into the Z28.
Attached Images

thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
thePill
Account Suspended

Here are a few more pics.... Notice the large base on the head castings. Could this be another block with X-Code/LQ1 capabilities?
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
thePill
Account Suspended

Some info I found about this Gen V.
Quote:
all-new approach to variable valve timing in an overhead valve (pushrod) engine that would allow cam phasing of both the intake and exhaust valves, like a dual overhead cam V-8. In GM's current 5.3-liter small-block OHV V-8, cam phasing is limited to just the intake valves because of its cam-in-block architecture. The new method could use so-called "cam-in-cam" timing (Like the Dodge Viper).
Quote:
the next generation small block engine family will have unprecedented fuel efficiency through direct injection and an all-new advanced combustion system design. The new engine family will rely exclusively on aluminum engine blocks, which are lighter and contribute to the improved fuel efficiency. In addition to being E85 ethanol capable, these engines are being designed with the capability to meet increasingly stringent criteria emissions standards expected throughout this decade."
Quote:
the Gen V block will have the camshaft positioned higher in the block, a raised cam. A higher position cam in the block alllows greater flexibility in pushrod positioning and because the pushrods are shorter the are stiffer. "the chevy NASCAR engine the R-07 has already done this"
Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
thePill
Account Suspended

The heads pictured above have a huge base on the bottom of the casting, these are definitely a brand new design. They also have to be production heads (very close to them), it is required in GT2 to run the stock castings I believe but the water passages can be altered for cooling and such (individual cylinder cooling). This thing was based off the 7.0 so the block should look very similar.

I heard that the direct injectors are below the intake ports and they face the pistons The the valves are 2.18" x 1.60" that makes the valve area (per displacement) greater than the LT5. Maybe shallower valve angles or splayed valves to round up the "new combustion system" GM was talking about.

Some info here:
Quote:
at a minimum they layed over valve angles - possibly 11*. it looks like straight lsx-dr tech. the exhaust face is almost in line with the bolt heads, and the intake face is vertical instead of 5*. that may account for the wider valve covers - and not splayed valves. they probably need the room that inline valves gives for the injectors.

the 5.5 and 5.0 share the same 81 mm stroke. gm racing used a 5.0L in the g6 race car. if the deck is unchanged from the gen iv, then it must be using super long rods. imo gm will want to keep a moderate rod/stroke ratio. this makes me suspect that the bore and stroke are race only, and that the production engines will have more square dimensions. they should be awesome regardless

Last edited by thePill; 04-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
That's a nice power plant from what I can see from the pics.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Thats awesome! Thanks for sharing, Ive been wanting to get a closer look at that motor for a while.
I really hope they increase the displacement though, Im pretty sure it will since I think 5.5 is the displacement limit.

So what we know so far includes..

improved variable valve timing
raised cam block
direct injection
e85 capability
and im guessing piston squirters like the LS9 and DI 3.6
and improved combustion chamber design
which Im guessing is maybe somthing similar to what the LNF uses.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
That is very cool!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
thePill
Account Suspended

I can imagine the weight would be pretty low, probably LS3 weight. As far as I know, these are the only known photographs of the LS5.5. Copy them to your desktop in case this thread gets removed. I had to dig kinda deep to get these....
Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Copy them to your desktop in case this thread gets removed. I had to dig kinda deep to get these....
done
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
The Gen V small block for Camaro will be 6.2L.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
The Gen V small block for Camaro will be 6.2L.
Yeah, I had heard that too. I also heard that the 6.2 variant might be a GenV DOHC. I believe the heads on this engine block pictured above is really the prototype here. The block is still based on the 7.0.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
thePill
Account Suspended

Hey Camaro5, can I get all access again?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #13
thePill
Account Suspended

I am anxious to see the chambers and valve layout in the heads. It also has a high rise intake (like the Boss), that tells me its be a high rev'ing engine and most of the power is developed at high rpm. With the engine output being 470hp (440-460hp factory), there would be less of a conflict between the Camaro and Corvette. There is plenty of room for a Z28 engine and a C7 version.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #14
thePill
Account Suspended

It says the LS5.5 is a de-stroked 7.0 engine. If that's the case, based on the 7.0 has a 4.125x4.000 bore/stroke, then the LS5.5 would have to reduce its stroke to 3.14 to reach 5.5 liters (5.501 exactly). Since this 7.0 already has a 7000rpm redline, reducing the stroke to that extreme could increase the revolutions beyond 8000rpm. For an OHV engine, there would have to be extreme head work done to keep the valves from floating and to keep the engine breathing. I had heard that the valves were 2.18i by 1.60e, the LS7's valves are 2.20i by 2.16e. I heard that the valves have a shallow angle and I have no idea if the 70cc chamber is still being used. The production Gen V will use a completely unique block that is suppose to physically raise the cam in the block, increasing the distance between the crankshaft and the cam. This means the Gen V will have "very short" pushrods while retaining a similar connecting rod length of a typical OHC engine (probably a bit longer, but shorter than the standard OHV rod). That means sturdier, smaller and lighter internals while they "should" maintain or exceed current internal strength. This means a faster drivetrain and valvetrain, capable of stability over 8000RPM. The next issue would be breathing, as an OHV engine chokes at higher RPM because of a single intake valve. The valves will have to be large, the lift and duration will have to be similar to the LS7's (.591 lift intake and exhaust and a 230/211 intake/exhaust duration) if not more. The LS7 has very big valves, the cam lift and duration would need to be taken higher on both specs to breath above 7000RPMs. Depending on the angle at which the pushrods enter the head casting, it may no longer be required to offset the intake rocker arm. It is my understanding that the cam is being raised inside the block (not pictured above) to increase the angle of the pushrods greater than 90 degrees in order to clear both the intake port (ie old OHVs such as the LS2) and to clear the head casting where direct injection would go (ie LS3,LS7). It is whispered that the direct injectors enter the head casting below the intake port on the intake side of the head. I am trying to picture this but, the injectors and fuel lines are probably going to be housed inside the intake valley, facing outward toward the piston and spark plug.

Edit: You can bet that the production Gen V engine will not have a 4.125 bore and a 3.14 stroke. The engine will probably be a square bore/stroke, I would guess between a 3.80 and a 3.90 bore. By using a 3.81 bore and a 3.85 stroke, we can get a 5.739 liter (350.17 cubic inch). Or using the LS3's 4.06 bore, we can get a 350.30 cubic inch (5.741 liter) engine using a 3.383 stroke. I know everybody has got pretty use to the 6.2 but what is the sense of producing a more efficient engine if GM continues to use the larger displacement. If GM can make a 5.7 liter that produces 450hp, 7000rpms at 27mpg then I would opt for the 5.7.

Last edited by thePill; 04-10-2011 at 09:24 AM.