Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Kevlo79

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS LS3
Exclamation Help!! Akebono Brake Pad Change HELP!!

I have a new set of Akebono Brake pads for the front brakes. The Brembos had squealer tips on both sides and one side is thicker than the other (but I don't remember which side of the caliper the thicker was on.. doh!!). Which side of the caliper should the squealer tip be?? I have the car on stands right now.

Please help!!

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Driving a 10 sec. honda is like coming out of the closet. Sure at first you'll surprise a few people but everyone could see you were gay all along.
Kevlo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Your brake wear indicators (squealers) should go on the outside of the caliper. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

The fact that your old pads had one side thicker than the other only says that they wore unevenly. Nothing to worry about. The new pads should all be exactly the same thickness.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Kevlo79

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS LS3
Thanks. I had already changed the pads out and they squeal like a pig going to slaughter. So I thought I might have installed them incorrectly. That's why I asked. It turns out I had the pads installed with the squealers on the outside already. I figured maybe I didn't have enough of the moly-b lube on the noise isolator so I smeared some more of that on both sides. Put it all back together and it squeals just the same as before. This all because the rep at Tirerack.com told me 18" wheels would fit and that I could simply take the harmonic dampeners on the OEM brembo pads off (definitely not true). He also told me that the dampeners are only there for high speed braking!! So I had to buy these Akebono pads (from them no less) and now my car sounds like a beater everytime I stop!!

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Driving a 10 sec. honda is like coming out of the closet. Sure at first you'll surprise a few people but everyone could see you were gay all along.
Kevlo79 is offline   Reply With Quote