Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
TheRaven
TheRaven

Drives: 2012 RS Camaro-black
THE WET SHINE

Okay. I've searched and couldn't find any info so here is my question. I have a black 2012 RS. Yeah it's new and it looks good and has a good shine , but when I wet it the car has this extra shine. What will I need to do to have that permanent extra wet shine?
TheRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
In my opinion, if your paint is in good shape (considering it's a 2012 it should be) claying, followed by a mild polish, followed by a premium paste wax like Adam's Americana or Blackfire Midnight Sun or Wolfgang Fuzion will get you there!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
In my opinion, if your paint is in good shape (considering it's a 2012 it should be) claying, followed by a mild polish, followed by a premium paste wax like Adam's Americana or Blackfire Midnight Sun or Wolfgang Fuzion will get you there!

Thanks. I'll have to read up on the how to's of claying, I've never used any clay products before. From what I've seen on YT it's not a hard thing to do. I would rather do all the claying, waxing, polishing by hand, I'm not comfortable using any power equip to do this.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I strongly recommend Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba paste wax. It's a little pricy but it really works well and brings that wet black look out. I use it and love it. Pinnacle makes some great products for deep dark colored cars. Swissol is really good to but even more expensive.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
Thanks. I'll have to read up on the how to's of claying, I've never used any clay products before. From what I've seen on YT it's not a hard thing to do. I would rather do all the claying, waxing, polishing by hand, I'm not comfortable using any power equip to do this.
Claying is certainly not hard. Rather simple in fact.

Claying 101: Take the clay and fold it over itself a few times and then flatten it out to the size of about 1 inch by 2 inches, spritz an ample amount of quick detailer or clay lube over the surface, rub clay over surface until the clay feels slick on the surface. After each panel, work the clay over itself and re flatten. This will make all embedded dirt stay in the clay rather than on the part where you are touching the paint.

See? Simple

For hand polishing, one of the best is Meguiar's Ultimate Polish... and it's only like 8 dollars for a bottle too!

The wax is totally dependent on you. In my opinion the paint pre-wax will account for 90% of the look, and the wax will account for 10%.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Claying is certainly not hard. Rather simple in fact.

Claying 101: Take the clay and fold it over itself a few times and then flatten it out to the size of about 1 inch by 2 inches, spritz an ample amount of quick detailer or clay lube over the surface, rub clay over surface until the clay feels slick on the surface. After each panel, work the clay over itself and re flatten. This will make all embedded dirt stay in the clay rather than on the part where you are touching the paint.

See? Simple

For hand polishing, one of the best is Meguiar's Ultimate Polish... and it's only like 8 dollars for a bottle too!

The wax is totally dependent on you. In my opinion the paint pre-wax will account for 90% of the look, and the wax will account for 10%.

Thanks again. Yeah that sounds simple enough for a 5 year old to accomplish :-) I've done a pretty good job at keeping the car clean, however, i'm seeing some swirls not scratches. Swirls on a black car just bugs the heck out of me. They aren't real serious, but it just bugs me.

Last edited by TheRaven; 01-13-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: fiexed the are to aren't.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
Thanks again. Yeah that sounds simple enough for a 5 year old to accomplish :-) I've done a pretty good job at keeping the car clean, however, i'm seeing some swirls not scratches. Swirls on a black car just bugs the heck out of me. They aren't real serious, but it just bugs me.
Sounds like some paint correction is in order

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Sounds like some paint correction is in order

Yes there is.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Zaino
Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
I strongly recommend Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba paste wax. It's a little pricy but it really works well and brings that wet black look out. I use it and love it. Pinnacle makes some great products for deep dark colored cars. Swissol is really good to but even more expensive.

thank you. i will check it out.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Once your paint is clayed/corrected to the level you are happy with, our Brilliant Glaze/Americana combo will give you that deep, wet shine you are looking for. The combo is affectionately known by many of our customers and team members as the "face melter."

The Brilliant Glaze will fill in very minor imperfections while adding gloss and depth to the paint, and the Americana will lock in and amplify the shine created from the Brilliant Glaze!

Here is a link to our Premium Shine Kit, AKA the FACE MELTER!!!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-566-a...shine-kit.aspx

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Once your paint is clayed/corrected to the level you are happy with, our Brilliant Glaze/Americana combo will give you that deep, wet shine you are looking for. The combo is affectionately known by many of our customers and team members as the "face melter."

The Brilliant Glaze will fill in very minor imperfections while adding gloss and depth to the paint, and the Americana will lock in and amplify the shine created from the Brilliant Glaze!

Here is a link to our Premium Shine Kit, AKA the FACE MELTER!!!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-566-a...shine-kit.aspx

Thank you. I know Summit Racing in Mcdonough, Ga sells your products. I can check there for this kit or the combo.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
To the OP, it depends on your prep work prior to any type of LSP product you use, on your done doing this then the BLACKFIRE Wet-Ice over Fire Kit will do what your looking for in terms of wetness and shine for your paint.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
To the OP, it depends on your prep work prior to any type of LSP product you use, on your done doing this then the BLACKFIRE Wet-Ice over Fire Kit will do what your looking for in terms of wetness and shine for your paint.
I've read about blackfire and seen the vid's on YT. It seems as if blackfire is a good product. My car is currently in the shop getting a new bumper and should be out by thursday and I can't wait to get it washed and then start on that shine.