Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
ZL1_TA

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Airstrip Attack 8 - 1/2 mile w M6

Just got back from AA8. Lots of fun! Curious if any other fairly stock M6 cars have tried... The problem I had is hitting the rev limiter in 4th right before the 1/2 mile mark... my fastest was in 4th bouncing off the rev limiter as I crossed the line... didn't seem to have enough time to make the shift to 5th worth it... plus is a little difficult to make that shift fast... messed it up a couple of times.... best runs were PTM4 with launch control and no lift shifts...

Couple of other ZL1's there, a vert that I raced a couple of times and a twin turbo with 1300hp. I was pretty much dead even with the vert but got him off the line thanks to the MPSS's... he probably had a few more HP due to headers and a tune....

https://youtu.be/pU6J4nOf10g
ZL1_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_TA View Post
Just got back from AA8. Lots of fun! Curious if any other fairly stock M6 cars have tried... The problem I had is hitting the rev limiter in 4th right before the 1/2 mile mark... my fastest was in 4th bouncing off the rev limiter as I crossed the line... didn't seem to have enough time to make the shift to 5th worth it... plus is a little difficult to make that shift fast... messed it up a couple of times.... best runs were PTM4 with launch control and no lift shifts...

Couple of other ZL1's there, a vert that I raced a couple of times and a twin turbo with 1300hp. I was pretty much dead even with the vert but got him off the line thanks to the MPSS's... he probably had a few more HP due to headers and a tune....

https://youtu.be/pU6J4nOf10g
I did that race last April (if you are talking about Coalinga) in my almost stock 13 ZL1 auto. My best trap speed was 142.7 mph. I didnt nail it off the start, I punched it at the 50 yard cones or whatever they are set up at. Had a blast, ran it 8 times, each time within 1 mph or less of 142.7. Only underhood mod is a rotofab. Its a great time out there. What was your highest trap speed? And they would not let my friend run his Vert, because of a roll bar requirement. Has that changed, or did the guy in a vert have a roll bar?
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
ZL1_TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
I did that race last April (if you are talking about Coalinga) in my almost stock 13 ZL1 auto. My best trap speed was 142.7 mph. I didnt nail it off the start, I punched it at the 50 yard cones or whatever they are set up at. Had a blast, ran it 8 times, each time within 1 mph or less of 142.7. Only underhood mod is a rotofab. Its a great time out there. What was your highest trap speed? And they would not let my friend run his Vert, because of a roll bar requirement. Has that changed, or did the guy in a vert have a roll bar?
My best was 141.9... the vert had a 142 run... was also an auto. I don't think he had a roll bar at least one I noticed. We were starting like a normal drag race all the way up against the back of the runway then launching... same place Coalinga... my only HP mod is a Rotofab as well.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_TA View Post
My best was 141.9... the vert had a 142 run... was also an auto. I don't think he had a roll bar at least one I noticed. We were starting like a normal drag race all the way up against the back of the runway then launching... same place Coalinga... my only HP mod is a Rotofab as well.
Wow, all the non crazy mod Zl1 cars are pretty much identical in speed at the trap as would be expected, but auto vs. man is pretty much the same. Wonder if I could have squeezed a couple more MPH by launching from the start? Sure did feel comfortable at speed, really planted, no squirly stuff. Glad you went out there, my home town is Coalinga.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
Interesting. With a tune, headers, Roto-Fab and a 2.5 pulley my best was 150.4 at the 1/2 mile event that was in the Chicago area last year, so it looks like a non-scientific assumption is that headers,pulley and a tune can get 9 MPH more in the 1/2 mile.

When I ran it was hot out as well (90 degrees) and the 150 run was my last run of the day.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo1059 View Post
Interesting. With a tune, headers, Roto-Fab and a 2.5 pulley my best was 150.4 at the 1/2 mile event that was in the Chicago area last year, so it looks like a non-scientific assumption is that headers,pulley and a tune can get 9 MPH more in the 1/2 mile.

When I ran it was hot out as well (90 degrees) and the 150 run was my last run of the day.
My run was 84 degrees F, and it was my 3rd run of that day. It is interesting to see what those mods will gain you.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
ZL1_TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo1059 View Post

Guessing with that extra HP you have enough time to shift into 5th to make it worth it... M6 or Auto? Did you dyno the car after the mods?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
A6. I'm sitting at 558hp, 564tq, however when I ran the tune was messed up, so I may have been a little lower than that.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote