Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
jbreed

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS Cyber Gray
Tire Sealant Kit - Warranty Issues

I was aware that my new Camaro did not have a spare tire, but was not aware that using the inflator kit provided by GM (even following the instructions) is a) not approved by Pirelli and b) voids the manufacturers warranty on the tire in question. Additionally, doesn't the design of the wheel well in the trunk indicate somebody at GM thought a spare tire was a good idea? I can think of no other reason for a tire shaped impression around the battery. I minor topic I know - but the background is below...

From: Dempsey Barbara, US [mailto:barbara.dempsey@pirelli.com] On Behalf Of PTNA - Consumer Affairs, US
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:52 AM
To: John Breed
Subject: RE: Sealants

Pirelli does not recommend: 1) The use of tire sealants to repair, even temporarily, a puncture; 2) Repairing of V, W, Y or Z speed rated tires; 3) Repairing Run Flat tires.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:28 AM
To: PTNA - Consumer Affairs, US

Subject: Sealants

To: PIRELLI TYRE US

Subject: Sealants

Is it safe to use tire sealants to seal and re-inflate a Pirelli 245/45ZR20XL 103Y? That is what the instructions state in my owner's manual. I need a response as soon as possible.

John Breed

From the 2010 Camaro Owner's Manual:

......Immediately drive the vehicle 8 km (5 miles) to distribute the sealant in the tire....Replace it with a new canister available from your dealer/retailer... After temporarily sealing a tire using the tire sealant and compressor kit, take the vehicle to an authorized dealer/retailer within a 161 km (100 miles) of driving to have the tire repaired or replaced...

From Pirelli:
PTNA does not recommend the use of tire sealants in Pirelli brand tires to repair, even temporarily, a puncture....

and

What Is Not Covered By The Warranty?...Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium. Pirelli Website: http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/car-su...d/default.page
jbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
interesting i did not know this wow how about that, another way to make some money
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Teddydog

Drives: 21 LT1 RS M6 in SSM
Yikes! Looks like you void your warranty by filling with Nitrogen, too!

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
the tire imprression is fro the V6's. they have a spare tire that can fit the car, unlike the v8's
Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
There is a reason that Pirelli does not warrant tires when used with sealant...

The sealant practically ruins the tire and is almost impossible to remove. My local America's Tire company will not even fix a tire that has been used with sealant.

Get the quick fix plug kit available for about $50 for a temporary fix and then get a PROPER patch done by a professional from the inside of the tire.

If you plan to do ANY high speed driving, a patch is the only type of fix because a plug can work it's way out with a high enough tire speed (centrifugal forces are a bitc*)!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
Yikes! Looks like you void your warranty by filling with Nitrogen, too!

Rob
When I was putting nitrogen in my tires I was told the slime will destroy the pressure monitor in the wheel too.
________
Digital Volcano

Last edited by superstockcam; 04-19-2011 at 03:08 AM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
jbreed

Update

The dealer, salesman and service manager all claimed they never heard about the issue with sealants and Pirelli. When they contacted the Chevy regional rep for Texas he told them "Chevy's sealant is approved for use by Pirelli. We have an agreement.." I asked to see that in writing and so far -no reply. Pirelli had a Quality Controll engineer call me back to say no way, no how would they recommend, allow or approve use of sealant and to his knowledge no agreement or anything like it exists.

I know ditching the spare lowers wieght, increases MPG and 1/4 mile times and keeps the base price low. My bet is that offered a chance, most 50+ year old drivers who use the Camaro as a daily driver would take a space saver spare over a can of goo any day. At the same time, when it comes to who knows rubber better, GM or Pirelli, the tire maker wins. Storing the can of goo in a tire shaped styrofoam donut is an insult....it's a tire well, not a 4 square foot beer kozie. If you get a spare and care about sports car performance - you take it out and buy your own goo. If you drive 80 miles a day and care about making it home safe in 100 degree Texas heat you keep the spare handy.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I will never drive at freeway speed on a repaired Z rated tire...no matter how it was done.

New tire only.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
the tire imprression is fro the V6's. they have a spare tire that can fit the car, unlike the v8's
I have a V6 but it's an RS so it seems like it should have the pump and inflator right? I didn't pay for a spare and was REALLY surprised to see one there! Is it a mistake. Does everyone with a V6 RS have a spare and if we have one then why not the SS??? Should I take my car back and get a pump and can or be happy. And if I get a flat can't I just put it in the back seat if it won't go thru the trunk opening? Thanks for any info.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
BLUEMARO
A Classical Greek

Drives: DTS, Bonneville and an SS !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreed View Post
The dealer, salesman and service manager all claimed they never heard about the issue with sealants and Pirelli. When they contacted the Chevy regional rep for Texas he told them "Chevy's sealant is approved for use by Pirelli. We have an agreement.." I asked to see that in writing and so far -no reply. Pirelli had a Quality Controll engineer call me back to say no way, no how would they recommend, allow or approve use of sealant and to his knowledge no agreement or anything like it exists.

I know ditching the spare lowers wieght, increases MPG and 1/4 mile times and keeps the base price low. My bet is that offered a chance, most 50+ year old drivers who use the Camaro as a daily driver would take a space saver spare over a can of goo any day. At the same time, when it comes to who knows rubber better, GM or Pirelli, the tire maker wins. Storing the can of goo in a tire shaped styrofoam donut is an insult....it's a tire well, not a 4 square foot beer kozie. If you get a spare and care about sports car performance - you take it out and buy your own goo. If you drive 80 miles a day and care about making it home safe in 100 degree Texas heat you keep the spare handy.
I have a feeling this is the beginning of a very large problem.
BLUEMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I have a V6 but it's an RS so it seems like it should have the pump and inflator right? I didn't pay for a spare and was REALLY surprised to see one there! Is it a mistake. Does everyone with a V6 RS have a spare and if we have one then why not the SS??? Should I take my car back and get a pump and can or be happy. And if I get a flat can't I just put it in the back seat if it won't go thru the trunk opening? Thanks for any info.
You are lucky..... The spare is a $150. option on ANY V6 .
Look at your Window Sticker and tell me if the spare is not listed.
The tire they use for a spare does not fit with the larger SS Brakes.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Don't use the sealant. Get a flat, call OnStar! Get towed into the nearest shop.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post
You are lucky..... The spare is a $150. option on ANY V6. Look at your Window Sticker and tell me if the spare is not listed.
It's probably different in Canada... I was offered the tire sealant as a no-cost option and turned it down and that's what the chevrolet.ca site still shows... the spare is never mentioned on the site or on my sticker so it's probably standard. The sealant option is not mentioned if you configure an SS so it's standard here too. Another difference is that IOM paint is no-cost here still! Only the RJM is extra. Sweet eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEMARO View Post
I have a feeling this is the beginning of a very large problem.
I've read in car magazines that spare tires and cans of goo are basically superstitions left over from ancient times before radial tires, paved roads and cellphones. 99.9% of spare tires are never used and most cars never even have a flat and the tires are scarcely more liable to fail than any other part of the car statistically. You might as well fill your tire well with spare alternators and belts and water pumps and head gaskets etc. And if you add them up they cost untold billion$ in oil to make and to carry around for no reason.

Last edited by camero; 08-29-2009 at 10:45 PM.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
jbreed

This reminds me of this old state senator I knew back in Alabama. I once offered to fly him back home from the Capitial in a single engine airplane. He said no thanks, he never flew in single engine aircraft, to which I said "the odds of a single engine failing are so small as to make the twins only marginally safer. He said, "its not the odds I'm... Read More worrying about, it's the stakes." That's the way I see the spare tire/goo issue. If the goo is unsafe (and Pirelli say it is), then I'll take my chances with a spare. Statistically, the average driver has 5 flats in a driving lifetime. I have had my share. An alternator failing presents a very differend risk than a blow out of a speed rated tire. True most spares never get used, I just want to be told the facts and allowed to decide for myself. If you are satisfied the goo is good enough, use it. As for me, there are whole stretches of West Texas where I'd rather have a spare. And the odds of finding a Pirelli 20 tire are near zero. Lastly, good maintance can virtually ensure a belt and generator don't fail - at least without warning, and if they do, the car isn't drivable period. Maintaince will not protect you from a nail or glass in the road. As to the previous post about filling the trunk with spare parts: A better analogy would be if GM included a can of belt dressing, Marvel Mystery Oil and radiator sealant and said all of those were safe as a replacement part (at least for 100 miles). I don't think they are....and with the recent closure of dealerships, that tow to get a tire looked at is a lot further than it used to be...

Tags
inflator, sealants, spare tire, tires, trunk wheel well