Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Can a car be titled in someone's name who doesn't finance it?

If I have a Grandparent finance for the car, can it be titled in my Mom's name, if my Grandma gives permission (which she already has).

I'm paying for everything, just want to get a good financing rate.
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
If I have a Grandparent finance for the car, can it be titled in my Mom's name, if my Grandma gives permission (which she already has).

I'm sure that your Grandma would have to buy the car, have the title put in her name... maybe have you as a co-signer. Then after the paperwork is done, she could sign it over to you and you'd have to keep giving her the cashola every month for the payment.

Don't go screwing an old lady over though.

So what's wrong with your credit anyway? You get what you deserve. If you get a crappy rate, or can't get a loan at all... then there's a reason for it.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
I'm sure that your Grandma would have to buy the car, have the title put in her name... maybe have you as a co-signer. Then after the paperwork is done, she could sign it over to you and you'd have to keep giving her the cashola every month for the payment.

Don't go screwing an old lady over though.

So what's wrong with your credit anyway? You get what you deserve. If you get a crappy rate, or can't get a loan at all... then there's a reason for it.
I'm not even 19 yet, so I kinda don't have a credit score. I have a job and a 2nd one that I go to occasionally. I would never screw my own Grandma over.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I believe thats what salesmen refer to as a straw sale. Dont let them know your doing that, or you probably wont get financed. Its the finance managers job to protect the banks.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Ahhhhhhhhh yeah..

Well can you afford it?

I'm 26 years old, my credit score is around 740, but I still got rejection letters from some banks regarding my "Lack Of Credit History". I got my first credit card when I was 19 years old... never missed a payment... and usually paid the balance in full every month. I guess 7 years of good history isn't enough for banks these days.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Lol ant. Sorry to laugh but you did get your mom to apply at least 3 times from what you have post 2 rejections from GMAC and a 3rd somewhere else. That fell thru?

Go back to the very first reply I did for you. Buy a used car and establish your credit. Not trying to be mean but to help. Good luck.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I am pretty sure in NY, the loan, title, Insurance, and registration must all be the same person, i could be wrong, but I am pretty sure.

Also, did you price insurance yet??? Especially on LI>
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

I thought we've been though this before but no, whoever finances the car is whos name the title must be put in.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
Nezacant

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

I'm from NY originally and if I remember right, the person taking out the loan must be on the title. They can however add other names to the title even if they aren't on the loan. As for insurance, I THINK those on the title need to be on the insurance however they do not need to be set up as the primary driver, that would be you.

Don't quote me on any of this. Check out the NY DMV website. I'm sure they have all this info on there.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:

Ant, you asked this before, and received many replies. Why the repost?

Edit -

Quote:
Let's say I get a loan from a Credit Union in my name, with my Grandmother as a co-signer (yes I have a job, on the books now, and will be paying for the car).

Do you think the dealer will let me register and basically have my Mom sign for the car so it can go under her insurance?

This was posted in April.

I hate to say it man, but take it as a sign, either you or your parents/grandparents can't afford the car. Get something else to establish your credit.

I started at 17 with a used Ford Focus. I'm 25 now, and just financed 42K, without a co-signer. Go build your credit yourself and wait until you have your OWN credit.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
jrmurphy33
CamaroTracking.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Send a message via MSN to jrmurphy33
I would think at this age regardless of driving history that his insurance would be more then his car payment :(

2SS/RS M6 Black, Aluminum Polished
Order: NFTBZQ.

1100 = Order Placed at Dealership 14 OCT 2008 Order changed 11/25/2008 - Allocation 4/4.
DELIVERED 7/31/2009

jrmurphy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Ant, you asked this before, and received many replies. Why the repost?

Edit -

This was posted in April.

I hate to say it man, but take it as a sign, either you or your parents/grandparents can't afford the car. Get something else to establish your credit.

I started at 17 with a used Ford Focus. I'm 25 now, and just financed 42K, without a co-signer. Go build your credit yourself and wait until you have your OWN credit.

But these are not the answers Ant wants to hear, it looks like he will continue to ask until someone gives the answer he wants.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Ant

This question is a little different. I'm asking if the they can still add my mother's name to the title, if she doesn't do the financing.

I don't know why so many people are against me getting this car. I've saved up my money, and this is what I want. I'm not asking a single penny out of pocket from either my Mother or my Grandmother, or anyone else. And even if they did LEND me money, I would have them paid back ASAP.

I know what my income is, and I've figured out my payments and I can afford it. I don't know how someone else can tell me that I can't afford something.

As far as insurance goes, I can be listed as a part-time driver going to schol under my Mom's insurance plan, which would come out to around $160 per month.

Not that I need to explain myself...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
Quote:
This question is a little different. I'm asking if the they can still add my mother's name to the title, if she doesn't do the financing.

I don't know why so many people are against me getting this car. I've saved up my money, and this is what I want. I'm not asking a single penny out of pocket from either my Mother or my Grandmother, or anyone else. And even if they did LEND me money, I would have them paid back ASAP.

I know what my income is, and I've figured out my payments and I can afford it. I don't know how someone else can tell me that I can't afford something.

As far as insurance goes, I can be listed as a part-time driver going to schol under my Mom's insurance plan, which would come out to around $160 per month.

Not that I need to explain myself...
We are't against you getting the car. We are just older and wiser and know you can't afford it. You asked for our honest opinion and we gave it. The fact that you have to involve your mother...your grandmother...and who else means you don't have your financial affairs in order.

Short answer to your question...lien holder = title holder. If both your mom and grandmother are on the lien then their names go on the title. You cannot add another person's name to a title unless the vehicle in question is paid and full and the lien has been removed.