Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Oil change scare

So, I took my baby in to my dealers for an oil change, get the loose screws taken care of that are rattling around my deck lid and a general check up at the 12K mile mark. I get a call from the dealership expecting to hear "come pick her up, she's all done." instead I get a call saying "Houston we have a problem."

I ask what it is thinking a stubborn nut is lodged in the structure of the deck lid giving them fits, only to hear that my baby has sprung a leak. Not just any leak, but an oil leak that my service advisor calls a 9 out of 10, with 10 being the worst.

"Oil leak? What do you mean oil leak. I don't have so much as a drip spot on my garage floor. Are you sure you’re looking at the right car? I'm on my way!"

I get to the dealership and I'm taken straight to the repair bay's where my baby is perched up on the lift. I walk under her and that oil has spewed out of her onto the oil pan, tranny, and a couple of other places.

This is completely weird. Oil pressure and level are fine. It is a VERY SLOW leak of some sort that hasn't dropped the level in the pan to even be noticeable on the dip stick. I had them clean up the oil with some degreaser just to make sure it's not residual from the last oil change. (You never know if someone was a bit careless and some spilled out while they were filling her back up.) I'll be keeping a close eye on my garage floor over the next couple of days and she will be back at the shop on Monday for a follow up.

They tranny and oil pan are scheduled to get dropped and everything will be gone over looking for what could have caused the leak. The oil pan gasket is the culprit as of right now.

I hope I'm the only one with this issue. Like I said, I've got over 12K miles on her so maybe it’s just loosening up a bit and needs a good once over. My baby is a 2SS with a manual tranny. (just missed the great tranny scare of '09) VIN is just over 21,000.

I'll update you all on Monday evening when I get to bring her home. Here are a couple of iPhone pic's so the Suburban’s can stay in the garage.

Name:  IMG_0149.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0150.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0151.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  117.0 KB
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
There is a bulletin for 4th gen LS motors for oil leaks.

#05-06-01-034J : Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area (Engine Block Porosity RTV Repair Procedure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
When I was under mine last week installing the Pfadt engine mounts, I noticed that mine was wet with oil in the same spots. When installing the Vortech 3 months ago it was the same way, we tightened the oil cooler bolts and the leak stopped, they were very loose from the factory. That stopped the leak(more of a seep). But now it has started up again, seeping around the oil cooler mounting. I'll be talking mine in next week also.
Have the dealer put dye in the oil and clean it very good. Then when it seeps they can pin point the leak. Personally I think it's the same as mine and coming from the cooler.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
When I was under mine last week installing the Pfadt engine mounts, I noticed that mine was wet with oil in the same spots. When installing the Vortech 3 months ago it was the same way, we tightened the oil cooler bolts and the leak stopped, they were very loose from the factory. That stopped the leak(more of a seep). But now it has started up again, seeping around the oil cooler mounting. I'll be talking mine in next week also.
Have the dealer put dye in the oil and clean it very good. Then when it seeps they can pin point the leak. Personally I think it's the same as mine and coming from the cooler.
I'll ask them to check that too. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
2010SSRSM6

Oil cooler was ok, it was the gasket. It appears that it was installed with a kink in it and failed. She should be back together first thing in the morning. They had to pull the entire front section off the car to get the oil pan out. I was too traumatized to take pic's of the deconstruction.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Oil cooler was ok, it was the gasket. It appears that it was installed with a kink in it and failed. She should be back together first thing in the morning. They had to pull the entire front section off the car to get the oil pan out. I was too traumatized to take pic's of the deconstruction.
At least they are putting her back together for you and she will be 100% again. Best wishes.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Madcat0911

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
At least they are putting her back together for you and she will be 100% again. Best wishes.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
2010SSRSM6

I mis-spoke earlier, Both the oil cooler AND oil pan gaskets were bad. Just went through my paperwork again.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I had bad oil pan gaskets also.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Hey Rick, do you have the part numbers for the gaskets?

Thanks