Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Torque Management?Top Speed Limiter?

I've looked up many different tuners to buy for my L99, but I can't decide on which one. All of them claim to be able to "turn off" -"torque management" and "top speed limiter" and also "Rpm rev limit".

What is really going on when you turn off "torque management"?

If you turn off your "top speed limiter" is is possible to reach speeds past the limited 155mph limit, such as 180 on the dash?

What are the effects of changing your "RPM REV Limiter"? Is doing this safe for your engine? Will I be able to reach the "red zone".....or will I need a maggie? lol.

*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Diabloformula

Drives: 98 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
I've looked up many different tuners to buy for my L99, but I can't decide on which one. All of them claim to be able to "turn off" -"torque management" and "top speed limiter" and also "Rpm rev limit".

What is really going on when you turn off "torque management"?
Basically you're just telling the ECM that there isn't any TQ limits to abide by, thats why everyone maxes them out, who wants a someone telling you how much TQ your car can make safely.

Quote:
If you turn off your "top speed limiter" is is possible to reach speeds past the limited 155mph limit, such as 180 on the dash?
Yes, with the right gearing and tires you could reach 200+mph with the speed limiter turned off.

Quote:
What are the effects of changing your "RPM REV Limiter"? Is doing this safe for your engine? Will I be able to reach the "red zone".....or will I need a maggie? lol.
Unless for some reason you are making power above the recommanded RPM (from a cam for example) there is really no need to change this. It is safe as long as you have the parts in place to take the higher RPM such as valve springs, pushrods, etc. You can set the RPM limiter way past the "red zone"....but if you like your engine, probably not a very good idea to do so and a maggie will make power in the lower/mid RPM range not up past your red line like a turbo or centrifigual supercharger.
N/A 391.33rwhp/353.13rwtq -501.56rwhp/462.67rwtq Slipping a 150 Shot
N/A-11.587@120.96 1.69 60FT /150 Shot-10.860@129.01 1.54 60FT...so far.
Diabloformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabloformula View Post
Basically you're just telling the ECM that there isn't any TQ limits to abide by, thats why everyone maxes them out, who wants a someone telling you how much TQ your car can make safely.

Eh, sort of. The main purpose of torque mangement is to save the transmission from certain doom during shifts. On an automatic, it also serves to help the transmission complete it's shift without flaring.

Quote:
Yes, with the right gearing and tires you could reach 200+mph with the speed limiter turned off.

The car would also need a lot more power to break the 200mph barrier. It's too heavy and doesn't have anywhere near efficient enough aerodynamics to touch 200mph.

Quote:
Unless for some reason you are making power above the recommanded RPM (from a cam for example) there is really no need to change this. It is safe as long as you have the parts in place to take the higher RPM such as valve springs, pushrods, etc. You can set the RPM limiter way past the "red zone"....but if you like your engine, probably not a very good idea to do so and a maggie will make power in the lower/mid RPM range not up past your red line like a turbo or centrifigual supercharger.

Agreed... Plus, on an automatic car, a rev limiter increase won't do much unless your shift points are raised as well.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
So, how much can you safely reduce TM? 50% TM...25% TM? I'm sure GM has tons of safety factor in at 100% TM, so what is really a safe %. The G8 guys have logged more hours on the A6, would that be a more valid source of data?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Chief Blackhawk... aside from a quick cursory look, no. I've been so damn busy lately. :( Send me your new one, I'm curious what you've changed. Did you go with a single or triple disk converter? Any problems with lock-up at steady cruise?

Duke... 50% seems to be a good reduction for WOT. I wouldn't take everything out unless you're cool with the possibility of wrecking your trans (despite however many people say they eliminated it completely and have zero problems).
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote