Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #99
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
VW plans on refitting all affected vehicles. This is going to take a long time to complete.

http://news.yahoo.com/vw-says-1-8-mn...092856765.html
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #100
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
He's exactly right
No, they were far from arbitrary and as far as we know right now, the diesel emissions standards, the toughest ones being in the US, have been met by other OEMs.

He is marginally correct in only one part, VW chose to ignore them. But even then, I'll bet they tried to meet them, realized they couldn't meet other targets and chose to cheat the test instead. Ignoring them would imply they did nothing, which we know isn't true. They did do something.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #101
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
No, they were far from arbitrary and as far as we know right now, the diesel emissions standards, the toughest ones being in the US, have been met by other OEMs.

He is marginally correct in only one part, VW chose to ignore them. But even then, I'll bet they tried to meet them, realized they couldn't meet other targets and chose to cheat the test instead. Ignoring them would imply they did nothing, which we know isn't true. They did do something.
I didn't focus on one or to points of what he said and then said he's exactly right. I meant the overall meaning of what he was driving at. Meaning my opinion is in line with his in what he was really trying to say.

Last edited by motorhead; 09-30-2015 at 07:20 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #102
derklug1

Drives: 2016 GT350
To use EGR only to control NOX means that it has to be open for a broader band of engine range. To get exhaust back pressure high enough to overcome the turbo boost puts a lot of heat into the turbo hot side. I'm guessing that they were burning out turbos and manifolds but didn't want to go to DEF and so they cheated.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #103
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug1 View Post
To use EGR only to control NOX means that it has to be open for a broader band of engine range. To get exhaust back pressure high enough to overcome the turbo boost puts a lot of heat into the turbo hot side. I'm guessing that they were burning out turbos and manifolds but didn't want to go to DEF and so they cheated.
I thought DEF was a US requirement now, or is that just for diesel trucks? I don't see enough diesel cars around here to know.

70% of the time I've talked about DEF people think I'm pulling their leg. lol

Also do those cars even have EGR valves, or are they just like the LFX and most other cars where they just leave the exhaust valves open longer?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #104
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
when I first heard about DEF I thought it was a joke. Something along the lines of blinker fluid.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #105
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Didn't read the original post (unless it was just the header), but the reply comments seem to indicate "Too big to fail" and the sky is falling if VW is not bailed out. I have to chuckle, AIG/GM/Goldman Sachs(?)/Various Banks, the bailout road was paved....lets just continue to utilize it. sigh

"Our City" just filed a frivolous $100 Million lawsuit against VAG. I say frivolous because, the money won't actually be used to clean anything up, if the lawsuit actually sees the light of day.

The avalanche is starting finally
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #106
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
when I first heard about DEF I thought it was a joke. Something along the lines of blinker fluid.
DEF works well. Basically a chemistry set that allows them to tune the engine for better power, better fuel economy and lower particulate. The DEF then cleans up the resulting higher NOX

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #107
derklug1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Also do those cars even have EGR valves, or are they just like the LFX and most other cars where they just leave the exhaust valves open longer?
TDI's do have EGRs, the newest have low pressure and high pressure sides to the EGR. I'm not sure when small diesels were mandated to have DEF, but maybe VW convinced the EPA they were hitting the targets without it.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #108
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #109
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug1 View Post
TDI's do have EGRs, the newest have low pressure and high pressure sides to the EGR. I'm not sure when small diesels were mandated to have DEF, but maybe VW convinced the EPA they were hitting the targets without it.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm too lazy or don't care enough to look into it. I never would've bought a VW anyways, I really don't get how so many people can think they're as reliable as they think. In my shop at least they're the number 1 problem car and they're not cheap to fix. Doesn't matter the year... all those transmissions always go and there's always a lot of electrical problems.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #110
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Here's some more average consumer logic......

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-analysis-do...25026628.html#
Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #111
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Here's some more average consumer logic......

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-analysis-do...25026628.html#
Wow, that's a stretch. Somebody spent a lot of time spinning the numbers to get the result they wanted. They must be up for their Federal Grant renewal.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #112
derklug1

Dude is smoking the EPA crack pipe. I would guess the number is closer to 0.