Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
FRSTR90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, 1973 Corvette
sounds to me the GS is modded... Or why does it not have the power train warranty??
If I could swing it, I would get the GS in a heartbeat! I've been a vette guy all my life so that might be why..

If you have engine mods in mind, I think this GS may be a bargain. Lately, I've been hearing of a few finding a 2SS for $29/30K with low mileage.. not as low as yours, but under 20k. For the heck of it, say you can sell your car tomorrow for $35k + $15K= $50k. Is the car worth $50,000 to you? If I am not mistaken, I believe that car lists for roughly $65-$68k. I havent watched the market for the C6's in awhile, but I doubt you'll find one at that price.
FRSTR90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
ArmoSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTR90 View Post
sounds to me the GS is modded... Or why does it not have the power train warranty??
If I could swing it, I would get the GS in a heartbeat! I've been a vette guy all my life so that might be why..

If you have engine mods in mind, I think this GS may be a bargain. Lately, I've been hearing of a few finding a 2SS for $29/30K with low mileage.. not as low as yours, but under 20k. For the heck of it, say you can sell your car tomorrow for $35k + $15K= $50k. Is the car worth $50,000 to you? If I am not mistaken, I believe that car lists for roughly $65-$68k. I havent watched the market for the C6's in awhile, but I doubt you'll find one at that price.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The caviat is that this car (and others like it at this dealership), are from a driving school in Pahrump, NV where GM sold these cars for much below invoice with no powertrain and bulk sales. I know an instructor there and he said the cars are never pushed hard nor tracked, etc...because they're used them for driving school to teach people to actually drive these cars. Hence, the 2011's with very low miles and well equipped are being sold at about $43k ($47k out the door with high CA taxes and fees) at this dealership, which is about $5k less than average. They're giving me $32k for my car (I'll be taking off the mods), hence the $15k on top.
ArmoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
cb2011rs

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Like others have stated . The new vette is coming out soon and now you will have the old body style . Then you will want then new body style . Hold off IMO . I am sure in a year or so there will be a few people here trading for the new vette , myself included .
cb2011rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd45thAnniversaryV6 View Post
Just don't forget that you would be giving up a backseat.
That's some funny shit right there... lol..
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoSS View Post
Tired of modding it. The plan is (like any addict would say) to buy the Corvette and don't touch it. And, I just like how the Corvette feels/drives overall.
Hahaha your going to want to mod the corvette also.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
If you can add an out of pocket GMPP warranty and don't need a backseat go for it. The vette is expensive to fix out of pocket. I have owned 3. But never a C6. The closest was a 2002 Z06. I sold my 96 Collector Edition LT4 Z51 Corvette to buy my SS. Because 1. I wanted a warranty. And 2. I wanted a backseat for my 3 Grandkids.

Bob
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I'd say put that 15k in your Camaro. I just put about 6k in mine to Whipple it.. 570hp / 650tq.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
That's some funny shit right there... lol..
It may be funny but I put my entire aftermarket exhaust in my trunk with the seats folded down. Another member who bought my stock wheels put 1 in the trunk and 3 in the back seat to take them home. Try doing that with the Vette.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
ArmoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
If you can add an out of pocket GMPP warranty and don't need a backseat go for it. The vette is expensive to fix out of pocket. I have owned 3. But never a C6. The closest was a 2002 Z06. I sold my 96 Collector Edition LT4 Z51 Corvette to buy my SS. Because 1. I wanted a warranty. And 2. I wanted a backseat for my 3 Grandkids.

Bob

The GMPP is a good idea. I don't really mind the no backseats...I used to, but not anymore since I've gotten older and don't ride around 'with the boys' as much anymore. And, I have another 4 seater car ('02 Camaro SS).

With respect to modding, I honestly feel that the Camaro needs more modding (performance wise) than a Vette to get it to where I want it to (no disrespect, but that's obvious), so maybe the mod bug won't be as bad. I could wait for the next gen, but I've drooled over these C6s since 2005.

I guess the only thing is to see if the $15k is worth all of the above.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
I'd get the vette. From the renditions and transformers 3 new c7 corvettes, I think the c6s are better looking.

I would take the GS if I could swing it.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The caveat is that this car (and others like it at this dealership), are from a driving school in Pahrump, NV where GM sold these cars for much below invoice with no powertrain and bulk sales. I know an instructor there and he said the cars are never pushed hard nor tracked, etc...because they're used them for driving school to teach people to actually drive these cars. Hence, the 2011's with very low miles and well equipped are being sold at about $43k ($47k out the door with high CA taxes and fees) at this dealership, which is about $5k less than average. They're giving me $32k for my car (I'll be taking off the mods), hence the $15k on top.
I honestly wouldn't get anywhere near that GS.

Did it come from here?
http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

Think about it...a bunch of rich people sign up to rally a Corvette around a track all day. They go to places like that. They probably turn over the cars before they need a new set of tires, or throw a new set of tires on before they wholesale them to a dealer. But I'd call BS that that car's never been around a track, or hasn't had at least two dozen people trying to beat the snot out of it. They're not exactly teach people to parallel park in these cars...no, they're teaching apex cornering, threshold braking, etc. Those 8k miles were all done on the same 3-mile course

If you really want a Corvette, I'd think I'd pony up the extra few $$$$ to get one that's been driven lightly by a private owner. Or, wait until the C7 comes out and watch what happens with used c6 prices.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
ArmoSS

Maybe I can just lease it then and get my Corvette fix..haha. You have a good point in that regardless of whether they were driven "nice" (assuming), they're still driving school cars which is the biggest concern for me. Who knows how many high revs and $hitty driving took place during the 8k miles.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #27
Vader

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Tired of modding it. The plan is (like any addict would say) to buy the Corvette and don't touch it. And, I just like how the Corvette feels/drives overall.
Can you honestly say that you wouldn't mod the vette? You would be tempted.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Missed the point about the driving school. In that case no.

Wait until next year when they announce the new Vettes, then buy a C6 new deeply discounted because everyone will want the new one. Or you can buy one of the 1000's of used ones that will inevitably come up.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote