Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I forgot to tell you it really looks good, you got some great rattle can painting skills.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I forgot to tell you it really looks good, you got some great rattle can painting skills.
Thanks. I just checked my fascia and where I used the JB weld the paint has wrinkled a little bit since the weather has gotten very cold. Good thing this was just an experiment and a temperary bumper (it's cracked at the bottom driver's side corner). I should have bought the flexible filler to begin with . Oh well, I had fun anyway.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Looks great! Nice results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
RedVictory
Luv my LS3

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3
Off topic but do you really have over 500,000 miles? LOL!
RedVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVictory View Post
Off topic but do you really have over 500,000 miles? LOL!
No.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
RedVictory
Luv my LS3

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
No.
Well played sir, well played, lol!

Paint job looks great. I also cant stand front license plate holes, I went to great lengths to find a car that wasn't already drilled. And they ARE required in my state...

Last edited by RedVictory; 11-27-2012 at 05:19 PM.
RedVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
kskahle

Drives: 2010 Red 1LT\RS
Great job! LOVE the color!
kskahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #22
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I am thinking about painting my body kit, would you recommend doing it with this method? Mine is IBM as well!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #23
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
I am thinking about painting my body kit, would you recommend doing it with this method? Mine is IBM as well!
I wouldn't recommend this method at all for anything other than parts like license plate frames, a rear spoiler, taillight bezels, and stuff like that.

My front bumper is being replaced and I just painted it to delete the front license plate holder holes until I get my new bumper cover (this one is cracked in the underside)

A nice thick paintjob by a shop using better quality paint is the only way to go for body parts that will be exposed to rock chips and bugs.

I would not do your side skirts with rattle cans.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend this method at all for anything other than parts like license plate frames, a rear spoiler, taillight bezels, and stuff like that.

My front bumper is being replaced and I just painted it to delete the front license plate holder holes until I get my new bumper cover (this one is cracked in the underside)

A nice thick paintjob by a shop using better quality paint is the only way to go for body parts that will be exposed to rock chips and bugs.

I did it on my El Camino and never had a problem. If you prep and paint correctly it will look as good as a factory job and last almost as long. Plus it's 10 times cheaper to do.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I did it on my El Camino and never had a problem. If you prep and paint correctly it will look as good as a factory job and last almost as long. Plus it's 10 times cheaper to do.
It would be best if he can find a place that will put top grade basecoat in a rattle can. For me, IBM was only available to put in a rattle can in Dupont's lowest grade single stage machinery and equipment grade paint.

The clear is high quality though so maybe that will make all the difference. My rear spoiler will be the test for me. Looks to be fine so far.

Sometimes when you clear over single stage paints as I used that contain no hardener it will have a wrinkling reaction. None of what I painted did, so it's possible to do it. My paint match is real close too. And yes it's cheaper than labor costs at a shop.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:

Ok thanks for the help, I'll just spend the extra money and get a shop to do it!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #27
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
It would be best if he can find a place that will put top grade basecoat in a rattle can. For me, IBM was only available to put in a rattle can in Dupont's lowest grade single stage machinery and equipment grade paint.

The clear is high quality though so maybe that will make all the difference. My rear spoiler will be the test for me. Looks to be fine so far.

Sometimes when you clear over single stage paints as I used that contain no hardener it will have a wrinkling reaction. None of what I painted did, so it's possible to do it. My paint match is real close too. And yes it's cheaper than labor costs at a shop.
The wrinkling is from paint incompatibility, like using acrylic over enamel. If the two paints are not compatible you will get wrinkling. Always use the same type paint for the clear and base coats.