Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Question Recommended paint shop - Ottawa, Mtl, Kingston?

Hi there folks!

Can anyone recommend a paint shop in the Ottawa area? I'm hesitant to bring my Camaro to some place I have never dealt with.

If not ottawa, I suppose Montreal or Kingston would be close enough, but local would obviously be easier

Cheers!
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
What are you doing to it? There are a few good painters in the Ottawa area.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Bourgui

I'm looking to at least paint the GFX - the lip spoiler probably black, side skirts colour-matched, and the diffuser colour-matched except for the center part which would be black.

Then, depending on the cost, I might:
1- black out the part of the front bumper around the lights,
2- Paint the hood speears
3- Paint inserts from ACS (if I get them)
4- Paint some sortof stripes on the side - I haven't deceided on the design yet, probably nothing too big

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Hylton

Boulevard Chevrolet in Hull painted my GFX and front fascia and did a great job. I do reccomend them.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Bourgui

Nice, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
For about 5 years now I been going to one paint shop in Ottawa to have almost yearly paint work done on my two white cars (one pearl white). They have always offered excelllent service and excellent paint quality. Never had an issue with paint flaking or cracking, etc., years later which over the decades I did experience with dealer paint. Early last May took my trade in to have the the lower trunk lid repainted after I messed up removing a sticker. I decided to get a second shop to give me an estimate and my recommended paint shop was hundreds less. A few weeks ago I took a loaner Camaro for them to give me a paint estimate which I think is fair regarding I can depend on their paint quality.
Believe it or not my preferred paint shop in Ottawa is a Maaco shop. Make an appointment with Scott, the owner:
Maaco
9 Caesar Ave.
Nepean, ON K2G 0A8
ph: 613-224-9932
They are a few blocks off Merivale in West Ottawa (Nepean). They have been doing my paint work for years and I am more than pleased. However, they are not a shop use to dealing with graphics more then front and rear blackouts. You will have to give them images of what you want. I will have them do my rear blackout which is simple.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
For about 5 years now I been going to one paint shop in Ottawa to have almost yearly paint work done on my two white cars (one pearl white). They have always offered excelllent service and excellent paint quality. Never had an issue with paint flaking or cracking, etc., years later which over the decades I did experience with dealer paint. Early last May took my trade in to have the the lower trunk lid repainted after I messed up removing a sticker. I decided to get a second shop to give me an estimate and my recommended paint shop was hundreds less. A few weeks ago I took a loaner Camaro for them to give me a paint estimate which I think is fair regarding I can depend on their paint quality.
Believe it or not my preferred paint shop in Ottawa is a Maaco shop. Make an appointment with Scott, the owner:
Maaco
9 Caesar Ave.
Nepean, ON K2G 0A8
They are a few blocks off Merivale in West Ottawa (Nepean). They have been doing my paint work for years and I am more than pleased. However, they are not a shop use to dealing with graphics more then front and rear blackouts. You will have to give them images of what you want. I will have them do my rear blackout which is simple.
You are right - I don't believe it. Not saying it isn't true - it's just that any shop who advertises a $599 paint job is a red flag for me.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Maaco
9 Caesar Ave.
Nepean, ON K2G 0A8
[/QUOTE]I been going to one paint shop in Ottawa to have almost yearly paint work done on my two white cars[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to good to me IMO
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
abaucom21

Please let me clarify. I have two cars and perhaps I overly maintain these low mileage cars. That is why my current 1998 pearl white Riviera and my 2011 Camaro trade-in, a white 1996 Sebring look and drive like new (interior & exterior). This is Ottawa; winter can be difficult on paint. Once a year in the Spring I inspect for paint chips, door dings etc., before I have both cars professionally detailed. When door dings or paint scratches are detected I take the cars in to have minor wear and tear cosmetic paint flaws fixed before I deliver my cars for full wax and detailing. I live in an urban high-rise with underground parking and do not have the advantage as some of you who can wash and polish your cars frequently. Fixing any annual paint scratches and dings is a basic to me as changing the oil. Perhaps I spend $200 per year, per car, to have my cars professional detailed. Perhaps I spend an average of $125 per year, per car, to stay on top of repairing paint scratches and dings. I spend far more on oil changes and general mechanical maintance each year.
Not sure why some people on this thread views this is as negative?
Example: my 1996 Sebring LXI coupe I traded for a 2011 Camaro. Twice my Sebring coupe was rear ended. Twice the dealership repainted the bumper and each time within 18 months the dealer paint flaked and cracked. When I had this specific Ottawa Maaco dealer repaint the bumper, it still looked perfect four years later.
Until you have walked in my shoes with 40 years experience with dealer paint repairs that degrade after 18 months, please do not be so fast to be judgmental.
Someone simply asked for a paint shop recommendation in the Ottawa region. I gave that recommendation based on my personal experience. Can anyone posting thread negatives offer first hand experience to the person requesting information regarding Ottawa, Ontario, paint shops?
So simple to reply with negative comments when some people have no personal experience regarding the thread.

Last edited by abaucom21; 08-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Bourgui

Thanks for the input Aubicom21, it was not un-appreciated.

I think a lot of it might just be down to Maaco's poor reputation in general. I've never dealt with them myself, so I can't speak from experience. Actually, I've only dealt with a Honda dealer when it comes to paint, which is why I'm posting this thread
Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Please let me clarify. I have two cars and perhaps I overly maintain these low mileage cars. That is why my current 1998 pearl white Riviera and my 2011 Camaro trade-in, a white 1996 Sebring look and drive like new (interior & exterior). This is Ottawa; winter can be difficult on paint. Once a year in the Spring I inspect for paint chips, door dings etc., before I have both cars professionally detailed. When door dings or paint scratches are detected I take the cars in to have minor wear and tear cosmetic paint flaws fixed before I deliver my cars for full wax and detailing. I live in an urban high-rise with underground parking and do not have the advantage as some of you who can wash and polish your cars frequently. Fixing any annual paint scratches and dings is a basic to me as changing the oil. Perhaps I spend $200 per year, per car, to have my cars professional detailed. Perhaps I spend an average of $125 per year, per car, to stay on top of repairing paint scratches and dings. I spend far more on oil changes and general mechanical maintance each year.
Not sure why some people on this thread views this is as negative?
Example: my 1996 Sebring LXI coupe I traded for a 2011 Camaro. Twice my Sebring coupe was rear ended. Twice the dealership repainted the bumper and each time within 18 months the dealer paint flaked and cracked. When I had this specific Ottawa Maaco dealer repaint the bumper, it still looked perfect four years later.
Until you have walked in my shoes with 40 years experience with dealer paint repairs that degrade after 18 months, please do not be so fast to be judgmental.
Someone simply asked for a paint shop recommendation in the Ottawa region. I gave that recommendation based on my personal experience. Can anyone posting thread negatives offer first hand experience to the person requesting information regarding Ottawa, Ontario, paint shops?
So simple to reply with negative comments when some people have no personal experience regarding the thread.
Thanks for clarifying...
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
abaucom21

Yes, I understand people thinking Maaco is a budget paint shop. Perhaps that is true. My experience is with this one Maaco shop in Ottawa and based on the quality of paint they offer is not necessarily budget. Yes you can get low budget paint from this shop, you can also upgrade which I have always done dealing with this shop. Received better long lasting paint quality from 'this one shop' then I ever received or experienced from dealer paint work during the last 30 years. I did not recommend Maaco in general, only recommended this one specifc Maaco dealer in Ottawa.
If you are going to get any paint work done, suggest you read the find print on paint warrenties. It is not all about paint bottom line price, it is about how well that paint will look five years from now. Please, do not consider a paint job that a shop will not warrent for at least 3-5 years. Otherwise, in 2 years your expensive paint can crack and peal which I have consistently experienced with dealer repaints during the last 30 years.
Because you are looking for some quality painted graphics and painted body parts I would also suggest you contact Myer's Chey Cadillac on Baseline, in Ottawa. They have on their sales floor a beautiful black Camaro with painted orange stripes, a highly modified Camaro. All the paint, workmanship, modifications are excellent and I think the work was subcontracted out. The car is stunning and best quality paint and modifications.
Sorry I was told who did the black Camaro modiciations, but can not remember. Little distracted as the dealer parked my white 2LT V-6 on the sales floor next to that black beauty for a weekend and my dealer had to post signs on my car, "do not touch, Sold".
Tuesday this week received clear title my 2011 Summit White 2LT. This day, Friday, my Camaro went for window tint and clear bra film, only front bumper. Cost, about $750. Not the cheapest if I shopped around. In the past I used that shop, workmanship and attention to detail excellent, product quality exellent. Did not even think about shopping around for a lower price.
Before you spend a few thousand on paint, suggest you check customer references. Perhaps my Macco shop can not do the 'painted' graphics you want. Perhaps it is worth getting multiple estimates.
If I can offer more, do not hesitate to PM me.