Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Ford, Toyota among others GOT bailout money in secret...

http://jalopnik.com/5704575/ford-bmw...vernment-money

In the depths of the financial collapse, the U.S. Federal Reserve pumped $3.3 trillion into keeping credit moving through the economy. It eventually lent $57.9 billion to the auto industry — including $26.8 billion to Ford, Toyota and BMW.

The Fed on Wednesday was forced to reveal the identity of the companies it aided during the crisis, after contending to Congress that keeping their identities and the details of such lending secret was essential. Much of Wall Street, and corporate giants such as General Electric, Harley Davidson and McDonald's, took advantage of the Fed's help. We've done the math on how the Fed propped up the auto industry.

While Chrysler and General Motors had to go to Congress to beg for cash in 2008, every other automaker's finance arm was having trouble as well. Typically, once they lend money to a buyer, they sell the loan, get the cash upfront, then pump the proceeds back into the business. They also take out short-term loans called commercial paper that keeps the day-to-day business afloat. The crash cut the circuit, raising the chances the automakers couldn't make loans to buyers and keep selling new vehicles.

That's where the Fed stepped in. In normal circumstances, the Fed only lends money to banks, leaving the decisions about who should get credit to them. But when the financial markets started to collapse in late 2008, the Fed set up several programs to lend money directly to corporations, a highly unusual step.

According to the data, from October 2008 through June 2009 the fed bought $45.1 billion in commercial paper from the credit arms of four automakers - Ford, BMW, Chrysler and Toyota - along with GMAC (the former General Motors credit arm). Of those, Ford sold the most, with $15.9 billion.

The Fed also lent $13 billion to investors who bought bonds backed by loans to new car buyers from automakers and banks. The Fed made clear that while investors got the loans, the move was meant to keep the lenders in business; the credit arms of Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Volkswagen, Honda and Hyundai all benefited directly. According to the Fed, the commercial paper loans have been paid in full, while some $2 billion remains outstanding on loans for bond investors.

Ford spokeswoman Christin Baker said the two programs "addressed systemic failure in the credit markets, and that neither program was designed for a particular company, or even a particular industry." Ford Credit had said it was taking part in both programs.

BMW told Bloomberg that the Fed lending "supported our financial profile and offered us an additional funding source, especially at times when the money markets and capital markets did not function properly and efficiently."

The secrecy surrounding the details of the loans only masked how much aid corporate America and Wall Street needed. While General Motors and Chrysler took the brunt of the blowback for relying on government handouts, the reveal of the Fed numbers show that a far bigger slice of the U.S. auto industry needed help.

Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Bump, for all the bashers to see.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Pathetic
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
They're all crooks. This is why when private entities fail, the best you can do is put a blanket on the floor so they don't crack their head open too badly.

If you can be in business, it's not any government's repsponsibility to keep you in business. If they didn't do anything, it might sting for a while, but it's a company's own misgivings. This is why I don't support any bailouts to private companies. Where does it end?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
If you can be in business, it's not any government's repsponsibility to keep you in business. If they didn't do anything, it might sting for a while, but it's a company's own misgivings. This is why I don't support any bailouts to private companies. Where does it end?
I mostly agree, but at some point a company like GM for example, employs so many people directly and indirectly it would impact far too many to allow them to fail. I mean you can't just throw good money after bad, but there are times help must be given assuming a new course is in place. GM is a perfect example. They are not doing to shabby. As long as they run a sound business practice and DO NOT forget about quality and the customer they should be healthy for years to come.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Bump, for all the bashers to see.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I mostly agree, but at some point a company like GM for example, employs so many people directly and indirectly it would impact far too many to allow them to fail. I mean you can't just throw good money after bad, but there are times help must be given assuming a new course is in place. GM is a perfect example. They are not doing to shabby. As long as they run a sound business practice and DO NOT forget about quality and the customer they should be healthy for years to come.
Good points. Actually there was an article on autoblog the other day stating that if GM and Chrysler had been allowed to fail it would have cost over 1 MILLION jobs!I understand the bailouts and it was a dire need, but I don't think it is right letting GM and Chrysler take the brunt of the Criticism while many other companies were getting their help in secret.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Good points. Actually there was an article on autoblog the other day stating that if GM and CHrysler had been allowed to fail it would have cost over 1 MILLION jobs!

Yep. It would have been devastating. You think it's bad now? It would be off the charts worse had GM and Chrysler gone under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I understand the bailouts and it was a dire ceed, but I don't think it is right letting GM and CHrysler take the brunt of the Criticism while many other companies were getting their help in secret.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
OK... I know that we aren't supposed to play favorites as moderators.... and I should probably close this cus it will most likely go south...
When all the "Government Motors" guys see this.....

huh what??? what was that noise...

BRB.....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
coolman

This if far from the same thing that happened with the GM and Chrysler bail outs. It is no secret that the feds lent money to large companies to keep the credit markets moving. These programs were all about keeping lending moving. I don't know why were trying to pick sides here anyways. We are and still are all to blame to some degree for what is going on today. I for one am Glad that GM, Chrysler, and Ford are still with us and if we had to lend anyone of them money to make it threw these hard times then I say "great". If Toyota didn't have so many american employed I wouldn't be happy about lending them money ,but the fact is they provide a lot american jobs.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
This if far from the same thing that happened with the GM and Chrysler bail outs. It is no secret that the feds lent money to large companies to keep the credit markets moving. These programs were all about keeping lending moving. I don't know why were trying to pick sides here anyways. We are and still are all to blame to some degree for what is going on today. I for one am Glad that GM, Chrysler, and Ford are still with us and if we had to lend anyone of them money to make it threw these hard times then I say "great". If Toyota didn't have so many american employed I wouldn't be happy about lending them money ,but the fact is they provide a lot american jobs.
Stop being so reasonable...

This is the Internet... we don't tolerate that here...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Stop being so reasonable...

This is the Internet... we don't tolerate that here...

coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
the more we push Congress to pass a bill to audit the Fed, the more we will learn about the abominations of our government... we know it happens every day, but when its shoved in our face like the Wikileaks thing, the more fuel added to the fire... there will be a day that the bailouts, entitlement system, medicare, medicaid, building foreign countries, mantaining our world empire, government programs/departments, and the trillions of wasted money/credit will end...

Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

A coolman siting!!! Hello stranger!!!