Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
J69camz28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
2011 2 SS Convertible

Hello! My name is Jeff and I am new to the forum. I bought a 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible in July 2011. It's a 6 speed car, black with silver stripes. I have been pretty happy with the car overall, but I am starting to notice some wear marks on the top. This is disappointing, especially since it has about 5,200 miles - it's obviously driven very little. With the car going out of warrenty soon, what is the best course of action? Please advise as you have time. Thank you!

~Jeff
J69camz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Take it to the dealership. Get the top replaced with the latest updated top and water bag. Ask for a component coverage warranty. And join the Class Action suit against GM on the defective tops.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I bought mine May 12, 2011. I had some marks on my top and had it replaced this spring. I also got a component coverage letter last fall for 5 years. I would get it in and have it looked at before it is out of warranty.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert

Welcome, Jeff! Please post pics if you can! :-)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Jeff, some of the marks are normal, some maybe not. I too have an '11. If your not aware, you can have your dealer run the vin and see if the 5th bow has been replaced. If not, I urge you to try to have it replaced before the warranty is out. It was/is a very common issue with the 1st year '11's. Other than that check the sides of the top about an 1.5" above the seam above the door windows and check for wear holes. They usually start to show after long periods with the top being down from road vibrations, etc. There's a pointed tab on each side of the top that holds the front corners of the headliner. Its secured by two screws. Some believe the screw threads pretruding out the back rub the top when its down and that pointed edge of the plastic tab also rubs the top when down. The screws can either be flipped around, ground off flush, or backed out a alittle. I just filed down the edge of the plastic tab to keep it from rubbing the top when down. Also, when the top is down, see if the fold is rubbing the black trim around the front of the trunk. It can leave a rub mark. Myself and others just tuck it in after its down. Other than replacing the top, I haven't heard of a fix for that. Some say they have had problems with the water management bag leaking, mine hasn't. I did get a water leak in the right rear floorboard, but it was from the seams in the sheet metal inside the 1/4 panel behind the right rear passenger window. It was repaired by the dealer in one day and no problems since.

Most importantly, find a dealer or shop that knows how to work on it and save yourself a ton of headaches. I sounds stupid, but as you probably have heard some of the horror stories of people getting the run around from incompetent shops. I and others have had repairs down in very timely manners with little to no issues by good dealers/shops so don't let it worry you, sounds like you found an awesome low mileage ride.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
J69camz28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the replies, I was out of town for a few days and just got back. To be clear, I bought the car NEW in July 2011, it had 6 miles on it. It has been well maintained and cared for, it sits around 5,200 miles right now. I'll see if I can post pics of everything. The marks are not extreme at all, I'll see what everyone thinks.

Thanks again,

Jeff
J69camz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
good luck Jeff. get it checked out. maybe you dont need a whole new top, but as you know, the 11 and 12's were prone to issues. good luck! get out and enjoy that car, 5200 miles on a 11 is too low, you spending too much time lookin at it and not enough time drivin it? what you savin it for? you cant take it with you. ha ha
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J69camz28 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I was out of town for a few days and just got back. To be clear, I bought the car NEW in July 2011, it had 6 miles on it. It has been well maintained and cared for, it sits around 5,200 miles right now. I'll see if I can post pics of everything. The marks are not extreme at all, I'll see what everyone thinks.

Thanks again,

Jeff
I apologize, for some reason I thought you had just bought it.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote