Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #183
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Long tubes aren't worth it unless you do a power adder. Boss can help, or hurt depending on gearing/tune. No need to use a intake manifold or headers to run mid or even low 11s.

X-pipe I got used for $100, intake was used for $100, tune was free and SCT to load tune was $300. Only expensive part on my car is the convertor which was $1100 and then the tires/wheels were $700.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #184
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Long tubes aren't worth it unless you do a power adder. Boss can help, or hurt depending on gearing/tune. No need to use a intake manifold or headers to run mid or even low 11s.

X-pipe I got used for $100, intake was used for $100, tune was free and SCT to load tune was $300. Only expensive part on my car is the convertor which was $1100 and then the tires/wheels were $700.
Wow, I am spending more than all this on just my clutch. My car is a $$ pit. I am hoping with the higher boost tune (10 lbs) to get into at least the low 11s. My tuner says though, do not expect too much the change from 6 -> 10 lbs will be 40-50 RWHP. So if I am 500-525 (speed/et/weight calculation) I will be around 550 to 575 RWHP.

Given that I would expect 11.2-3@125-6 given my best so far 11.6. This is with a 1.7ish 60'. Pat is running 11.1@128. If I can catch him with a not so good 60' I might take him. I am not going to be able to tree him if he is trying. He is not adding his convertor until we see if I can run with him. He really just wants someone to compete with.

Although, Pat is thinking of getting another car, and he now says he is really starting to like the look of the Camaro better than the Mustang. Will he go to the other "slow" side?

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #185
Unreal

Should have no issue seeing 600+ out of it, but it all depends on how safe/etc you want it. All the locals here are running 630-650rwhp on pump gas on ls3 cars. With meth ~700rwhp.

My mustang is the budget beater. I just spent $3k putting 15" wheels on the vette so it is nice to have something cheap. I just buy used parts and try to keep it simple. Doesn't take much to go fast in one.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #186
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Should have no issue seeing 600+ out of it, but it all depends on how safe/etc you want it. All the locals here are running 630-650rwhp on pump gas on ls3 cars. With meth ~700rwhp.

My mustang is the budget beater. I just spent $3k putting 15" wheels on the vette so it is nice to have something cheap. I just buy used parts and try to keep it simple. Doesn't take much to go fast in one.
I was just going by website HP estimates. They are all over the map. But one agrees with my mph (122) if I enter 580 RWHP (Dynojet) and 4200 pounds. It also says I should run 11.3. Those number jive with yours. So after next week I will know more to compare a second dyno. The clutch may help me as much as 4 more pounds of boost. I know dyno numbers are really just to compare against each other. But they are fun.

Below is the nicest Web HP calculator I found. There are many. Also there are formulas for this. But there must not be just one as the Web calculators give different answers. Unless they specify they could be giving RWHP or crank HP numbers. That may be the reason for some of the differences. Or it just may be bad Web page code.

When you use these thing you have use the full weight of the car including you. I am estimating 4200 pounds for my 1LE. It might be higher.

http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #187
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I tried out that website. At 4200lbs and my trap speed of 112mph I should have 460 whp. That's great I guess. I just have ltheaders. Lol
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #188
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I tried out that website. At 4200lbs and my trap speed of 112mph I should have 460 whp. That's great I guess. I just have ltheaders. Lol
Funny!

These formulas are not too accurate, they are just for internet racing. But are you sure your weight is 4,200? I guessed this since I have 1LE (heavier than an SS) 2SS and the sunroof, 3,900 or so, then added the turbo 100 pounds, then me, 225 pounds. Then just rounded to 4,200. There is a scale at atco I will have to check that out next time I am there.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #189
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
That link was very close on my car. 4200 lbs. trap 129 it showed 703rwhp. My last time on the rollers it out down 704.9 rwhp .
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #190
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
That link was very close on my car. 4200 lbs. trap 129 it showed 703rwhp. My last time on the rollers it out down 704.9 rwhp .
Nice! What did you run?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #191
Fraxum

My 1LE is off getting some "improvements" at JRE. Be back next week.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #192
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
this should get interesting!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #193
turbofreek

Drives: triple black 2ss
Subscribing here. Im on the fence for an ss or 50...this thread doesnt help me when I want the 50...damn it. Love the car but your not using those turbos at all. 2 step is not an auto feel. It allows you to bring to a specific rpm and spool the turbos before launching it. So your not gonna bog the engine. If your bogging on a set of nittos your ****ing up your launch severely my friend.
Ive built turbo v8 manuals before and autos. A manual can run well but the launch is make or break. With that st9ck irs your looking at breaking before reaching what should be damn near a 9 sec time slip. Stock clutch...I bet it was smoked from the first time you put boost against it. I know this because been there done that. Seemed like it held great but I removed mine before it slipped to find hot spots all over the flywheel.

You get 2 of 3 only
Fast
Cheap
Reliable.
turbofreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #194
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofreek View Post
Subscribing here. Im on the fence for an ss or 50...this thread doesnt help me when I want the 50...damn it. Love the car but your not using those turbos at all. 2 step is not an auto feel. It allows you to bring to a specific rpm and spool the turbos before launching it. So your not gonna bog the engine. If your bogging on a set of nittos your ****ing up your launch severely my friend.
Ive built turbo v8 manuals before and autos. A manual can run well but the launch is make or break. With that st9ck irs your looking at breaking before reaching what should be damn near a 9 sec time slip. Stock clutch...I bet it was smoked from the first time you put boost against it. I know this because been there done that. Seemed like it held great but I removed mine before it slipped to find hot spots all over the flywheel.

You get 2 of 3 only
Fast
Cheap
Reliable.
You are right about not pushing my car. I wanted to have fun trying to get the most out of low boost. And I think mid 11s is about the best I can do with 6 pounds considering a 1.7 60'. So I am adding more boost. And adding a real 2 disc clutch. Yep, the stock clutch gives up by the 60' mark when I slip it just right to ride on the boost.

The car is in the shop now getting about 10 pounds of boost, and a better clutch. With some good fall Atco air I hope to scrape the 10s. We shall see if I can learn how to use the new clutch. I want the launch to be me. If decide to race for $$, I will get a 2-step. For now it's all just about fun. I enjoy a challenge.

A 5.0 or an SS are both great choices. The Camaro has some disadvantages, but I love the handling and the overall driving quality feel. Hate the low roof and weight. But on the fun side everyone at Atco thinks 5th gens are slow, so my car is a sleeper. It's double sleeper because with the hood up it looks stock to most people. I like that.

I wouldn't mind a Boss 302 as a DD.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #195
Unreal

Did you see the thread in the FI section?

AGP twin kit, AGP meth kit, boost controller 14psi. That is it, bone stock everything else on a 1300 mile 2014 1lE. 806rwhp, 796rwtq. You have plenty left to keep going and turn it up.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #196
turbofreek

Drives: triple black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
You are right about not pushing my car. I wanted to have fun trying to get the most out of low boost. And I think mid 11s is about the best I can do with 6 pounds considering a 1.7 60'. So I am adding more boost. And adding a real 2 disc clutch. Yep, the stock clutch gives up by the 60' mark when I slip it just right to ride on the boost.

The car is in the shop now getting about 10 pounds of boost, and a better clutch. With some good fall Atco air I hope to scrape the 10s. We shall see if I can learn how to use the new clutch. I want the launch to be me. If decide to race for $$, I will get a 2-step. For now it's all just about fun. I enjoy a challenge.

A 5.0 or an SS are both great choices. The Camaro has some disadvantages, but I love the handling and the overall driving quality feel. Hate the low roof and weight. But on the fun side everyone at Atco thinks 5th gens are slow, so my car is a sleeper. It's double sleeper because with the hood up it looks stock to most people. I like that.

I wouldn't mind a Boss 302 as a DD.
Im confused by how you say, "launch to be me". How does a 2 step not make the launch you? Because it allows an rpm peak with a button depressed? You still have to operate the clutch yes?
I promise you your car will not be any quicker without one or minimal at best. Autos are faster not because of shifting of gears. It is because of building of boost before launching.
Two ways to build boost, load or retarded timing (which)exploding fuel in the exhaust pre turbo to rev the turbos...aka a 2 step.
You could rev to 9 grand and those turbos will spool no quicker than at 2500rpm.
Had you went blower different story, na its a different story, but you chose the turbos for a reason. They make more power per psi and just haul ass. Ive never seen somebody switch from turbos to any other power adder. Only if they didnt know what to do or money was involved via sponsors. Even then its a rare occasion at all.
turbofreek is offline   Reply With Quote