Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #113
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
I just want to touch one and here it go v-a-r-o-o-m
Old 02-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #114
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Thank God that's over, I didn't care one way or the other.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #115
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
hmmmmm, you know... what if they replaced it with black leather (for a black leather interior) for the door and panel inserts.

that would be sweet.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #116
BryGo
Moving up in the world...

Drives: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Thanks Scotty!!!

I'm glad to know that I won't have to read another thread that goes something like, "OMG I WANT TO KNOW IF ABL WILL BE ONLY ON THE DOORS OR NOT!!!111one!!!one!!!!11"

Annoying as hell.

If anyone cancels their order over a string of pretty lights inside the car, then they really need to get their priorities in order.
I believe I will now use your closing statement as my signature!
3300 - 6/5/09
3400 - 6/19/09
3800 - 6/19/09
4000 - 6/24/09
4104 - 6/28/09
4B00 - 7/1/09
4200 - 7/20/09
5000 - 7/30/09
6000 - 7/31/09

IT'S HOME!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #117
BryGo
Moving up in the world...

Drives: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2010 Camaro
like this!
3300 - 6/5/09
3400 - 6/19/09
3800 - 6/19/09
4000 - 6/24/09
4104 - 6/28/09
4B00 - 7/1/09
4200 - 7/20/09
5000 - 7/30/09
6000 - 7/31/09

IT'S HOME!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #118
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Official word: There have been many inquiries from customers who saw a very early pre-production photo of the Camaro interior. The photo displayed a blue ambient light traveling across the top of the door panel inserts and on to the dash. This early concept proved to be very popular, and the product team worked on developing a similar feature for the production model. As a result an ambient lighting feature is now a standard condition with the start of production on all 2LT and 2SS models. This light will have a light blue tint with Black, Neutral and Gray interiors, and reddish-orange tint when the Inferno Orange Interior Package is ordered. This feature is only in the door panels and not across the dash as the concept photo originally illustrated. This feature is not an orderable option, but will be included on all 2LT and 2SS models at the start of production. No action is required by the customers or dealers to receive this feature. At the Cleveland Auto Show this weekend, we plan to show an image of how the light is displayed and answer questions. Our goal was to have the look of the early rendering (and it was just a rendering -- never an announced feature), but there were a couple of issues with execution. In the end, a desire to have the highest quality look, fit and feel for the interior won out (which is the way it should be). I know some will be disappointed, but I still think in the end we have the best in class interior.
These announcements are always very carefully worded for specific purposes.

The phrases "very early pre-production photo" and "it was just a rendering -- never an announced feature" were included to negate attempts by anyone seeking any kind of price reduction due to the final ambient lighting feature not being as complete or extensive as the prototypes.

Also note that "an image of how the light is displayed" will be at the Cleveland Auto Show this weekend. Again words carefully chosen for a reason. Do not expect to see this feature function in a Camaro on display (most if not all have their battery disconnected so it doesn't run down when the doors are left open). There will only be "an image" to illustrate the feature.

Just my personal opinion? The 426hp Camaro SS is a fabulous car. The prototype ambient lighting across the doors and dash looked like a terrific extra feature to make it even more special. Just illuminating the doors won't look nearly as good, and may look downright odd with the lighting extending up to the connecting panel on the dash - but that panel not continuing the lighting effect. Like I said, just my personal opinion.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #119
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
These announcements are always very carefully worded for specific purposes.

The phrases "very early pre-production photo" and "it was just a rendering -- never an announced feature" were included to negate attempts by anyone seeking any kind of price reduction due to the final ambient lighting feature not being as complete or extensive as the prototypes.

Also note that "an image of how the light is displayed" will be at the Cleveland Auto Show this weekend. Again words carefully chosen for a reason. Do not expect to see this feature function in a Camaro on display (most if not all have their battery disconnected so it doesn't run down when the doors are left open). There will only be "an image" to illustrate the feature.

Just my personal opinion? The 426hp Camaro SS is a fabulous car. The prototype ambient lighting across the doors and dash looked like a terrific extra feature to make it even more special. Just illuminating the doors won't look nearly as good, and may look downright odd with the lighting extending up to the connecting panel on the dash - but that panel not continuing the lighting effect. Like I said, just my personal opinion.
I agree, but the scariest part about the careful wording IMO was this:

"As a result an ambient lighting feature is now a standard condition with the start of production on all 2LT and 2SS models."

and this:

"This feature is not an orderable option, but will be included on all 2LT and 2SS models at the start of production."

Does this mean only the beginning run of cars will have this half-ass version of ABL??? Hmmmm.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #120
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDDOG View Post
When I was at the Chicago Auto Show, a GM rep was there and I asked him about the ABL. He stated that it was only going to be in the doors. He also said that they were having heating issues with the lighting going across the dash. Overtime, seams started to split which compromised the whole look.
Not sure if there is any validity to this, but it was interesting.
LEDs are not heat producing like a light bulb, I bet the "Heat Issues" were when the sun comes in the windshield the heat would effect the operation of the LED's, maybe shortening the life of them considerably.. just look at the location they would be at close to the top edge of the dashboard where the heat would be most concentrated on the black material... Being an electronics technician at one time and knowing how heat can effect electronics, I can see that imay be the problem... there will still be a seam there no matter if there is ambient lighting there or not.

I think there is too much reading between the lins going on here.. just calm down people and take what they said at face value. all we know is for today that is how it stands. who knows what tomorrow may bring...
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #121
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I agree, but the scariest part about the careful wording IMO was this:

"As a result an ambient lighting feature is now a standard condition with the start of production on all 2LT and 2SS models."

and this:

"This feature is not an orderable option, but will be included on all 2LT and 2SS models at the start of production."

Does this mean only the beginning run of cars will have this half-ass version of ABL??? Hmmmm.
I'm not sure I'd read too much into those bits. I think they were saying that it will be available from the start, not that it won't be put into the CTF cars being built. There's no way they put a feature like that into production cars without doing some test builds before hand. In fact, I would think that any cars that get sent to reviewers would have ABL in it's production form.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #122
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
The ambient lighting was announced, at the LA reveal, they had a huge board showing the Ambient lighting pic and they talked about the ambient lighting to the crowd. I dont think its a legality issue because the cts uses lighting on the dash.
Theres no way its due to over heating because it would be the sme for the doors, and i think its because they couldnt get the gaps filled along the entire dash. Remember them saying that there would be a gap in the dash, the heating issue just doesnt make sense, the plastic on the door panels must be the same as the dash. Im just hoping that for some reasn, the ABL is still left in the trim, so i can find some way to connect it, if not, ill go aftermarket and get it installed, they just better have a dimmer roll for the doors
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #123
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
LEDs are not heat producing like a light bulb, I bet the "Heat Issues" were when the sun comes in the windshield the heat would effect the operation of the LED's, maybe shortening the life of them considerably.. just look at the location they would be at close to the top edge of the dashboard where the heat would be most concentrated on the black material... Being an electronics technician at one time and knowing how heat can effect electronics, I can see that imay be the problem...
LEDs are some of the toughest things around, I doubt that 180 degree heat really is causing them any issues. Many the material (light piping etc) is having issues but then the doors would be affected as well. The temperature differential between the dash and the doors is not much. And the way the strip is, it's not directly facing the outside so the doors would have the same heat exposure.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #124
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
Thank God that's over, I didn't care one way or the other.
Same here.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #125
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
The ambient lighting was announced, at the LA reveal, they had a huge board showing the Ambient lighting pic and they talked about the ambient lighting to the crowd. I dont think its a legality issue because the cts uses lighting on the dash.
Theres no way its due to over heating because it would be the sme for the doors, and i think its because they couldnt get the gaps filled along the entire dash. Remember them saying that there would be a gap in the dash, the heating issue just doesnt make sense, the plastic on the door panels must be the same as the dash. Im just hoping that for some reasn, the ABL is still left in the trim, so i can find some way to connect it, if not, ill go aftermarket and get it installed, they just better have a dimmer roll for the doors
the door panels will be vertical and not have nearly as much direct Sun shining on it. the windshield is a large very angled piece of glass that the sun wll shine through directly on the dashboard most of the time it is outside...
usually the only parts of the door panels that get to hot to touch are the very top edges at the base of the window, not down on the sides where the ambient lighting will be located.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #126
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Thak makes sense, but wouldnt there be cases when the door trim would get as much sunlight as the dash?

Closed Thread