Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Unhappy Sad Day.. '70 Chevelle gone but not forgoten

I don't know why I am posting this, but figured I would share with you guys. I just recieved word that today my Dad sold his 1970 Chevelle that him and I spent years working on together as father and son.

Story:

About 5 years ago my Dad and I had taken a road trip from MN to Canada, just North of New York. It was a long 16 hour drive roughly each way and we drove there with a trailer to pick up a 1970 Chevelle that would be our project to work on together. He had a 70 chevelle when he was young and wanted another one to share with me.

Well We ended up turning the car into one of the most fun vehicles I have driven. It was not an original SS, however we made every single change to it to properly convert it over, (I hate people who only half-a55 a clone, do it right if you are going to do it!) and once we were finished there was no way to even tell it wasn't an original, and only we knew it wasn't (however we told people it was a clone at shows etc.) Everything down to the pieces of the suspension that were unique to the SS, including how they were welded etc.. was converted on this car.

Well some of my best memories are when we built a 454 with a amazing sounding Cam for the car and we also converted it from it's 3 speed auto th400 transmission to a fully built 700R4 4 speed automatic with overdrive to make the car more fun to drive, and also more highway trip friendly. Also I remember redoing the interior, which included everything such as a new dash, seats, carpet, etc.. This car was a bench seat Malibu car to begin, and when we were finished it was a beautiful SS 454. We even put Keystone Classic wheels on it like he had on his chevelle when he was younger, plus they just fit the car

It was a car built to be driven and turn heads and not to sit in the garage to collect dust, which is why he bought a car to clone and not an original, as to my Dad an original would be no fun because we wouldn't get to work on it together, drive it, and we would of had to worry about every scratch, etc.. on the car because it would be a garage queen.

Anyways, that is just a LITTLE history on the car, obviously we spent a lot of time working on it. There are so many things that we did that I could just add pages of stories here, but that's pointless so I just wanted to say a little about it.

Anyways he told me he had been thinking of selling it last fall, being I have finished college and moved across country starting my own life, and he said it just isn't the same without me being there to drive it with him (along with the 69 Camaro SS Convertible) so he decided it was time to sell it and move on.

I just didn't think it was actually going to happen but he informed me that a guy drove up from IL to pick it up at their house in MN today and that it was REALLY hard to see them leave with it. He said he will never forget the memories of us working on it and the times we spent driving it.

Good luck to the new owner and I hope he enjoys it and has as many great memories as we did with it.

My tear has been shed (actually did shed a tear writing this thinking about the memories) and now I have shared the story with you all and it should help me move on.

Copy of the Ad from Autotraderclassics.com:

(please excuse the everything in CAPS, I apologize)

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

DESCRIPTION:

1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE SS454, (CLONE). ONLY YOU WILL KNOW IT IS NOT A TRUE SS AS IT HAS BEEN CONVERTED WITH CLOSE DETAIL. OBVIOUSLY NOT A MATCHING NUMBERS CAR BUT IS COMPLETE & READY TO DRIVE AT A COST THAT IS AFFORDABLE.

I BOUGHT THIS CAR 4 YEARS AGO TO HAVE THE 2ND CAR OF MY YOUTH BUT AFTER COMPLETING IT I NO LONGER HAVE THE TIME OR STORAGE SPACE TO KEEP THIS PLUS OUR CAMARO. THE BODY WAS RESTORED ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO. THE INTERIOR, SUSPENSION AND DRIVE TRAIN ARE ALL NEW COMPLETED JUST 2 YEARS AGO.

REBUILT 454 W/ 10:5:1 COMPRESSION, ALUMINUM INTAKE, HOLLEY 770 STREET AVENGER, MSD ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR, NEW ALTERNATOR, PUMPS, BRAKE BOOSTER & MASTER CYLINDER. TRANSMISSION AND FACTORY SHIFTER WAS CONVERTED TO A 700R4 THAT WAS REBUILT TO HANDLE 500 HP. 12 BOLT 3.42 REAR END WAS COMPLETELY REBUILT INCLUDING BEARINGS AND POSI UNIT. NEW FRONT & REAR SWAY BARS. COMPLETE NEW FLOWMASTER EXHAUST. ENGINE WAS TUNED & DYNO'D AT 450 HP SO HAS ALL THE POWER & TORQUE BUT WITH THE OVERDRIVE AUTOMATIC & LOCKUP CONVERTER IT STILL CAN GET 15 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY. FACTORY A/C SYSTEM (HAVE NOT CHARGED THE SYSTEM YET). INTERIOR ALL NEW INCLUDING NEW GAUGES AND CUSTOM AUTO SOUND AM/FM SET UP TO AD CDS.

THIS IS A CLEAN, RUST FREE CAR. OTHER THAN THE PAINT & CHROME BEING 10 YEARS OLD ( IT STILL LOOKS NICE BUT HAS SOME FLAWS) THE CAR IS READY TO DRIVE AND HAVE FUN WITH. I HAVE TRIED TO DESCRIBE THE CAR ACCURATELY SO THAT WHEN YOU COME TO LOOK, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. ORIG KEYSTONE KLASSIC OR ORIG SS WHEELS AVAILABLE, WILL EMAIL MORE PHOTOS IF NEED BE,

$33,900.00
PH: 320-xxx-xxxx

Some pictures: (sorry don't have any interior or under hood shots on my computer. Also wished I had some shots of the undercarriage, which we sanded and grinded all that rubber undercoating they put on cars and painted semi-gloss black.. the car is SPOTLESS underneath, and looked amazing!)

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I mourn with you...that was a beautiful car. Hope he got top dollar and that the new owner is good to it!
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Visual_Perfection

He said the new owner was REALLY excited when he got there, and that it definately went to a good home, so that helped with selling it.

The new owner definately got one hell of a car that's for sure! I was just looking forward to driving it when I got back to MN for a visit next month, but I guess that isn't going to happen :(
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Pretty car...I always wanted a Chevelle...
Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Damn dude that sucks. I would be kinda pissed if my dad sold a car we worked so hard on. He should have given it to you unless he needed the money.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Thumbs up

other than the wheels it looks like the "Melba Toast" 70 Chevelle SS from "Dazed and Confused" .
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Great write-up, and awsome car youns had. I have ALWAYS loved them chevells.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
nIce car. You will have new memoires in the camaro.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Visual_Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
nIce car. You will have new memoires in the camaro.
I wish! However I don't have one on order. Maybe in a year or two I will pick up a used one, but starting off on my own now after college hasn't left me any money to buy cars at the moment :(
Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Sorry to hear that man! When I was young I had 2 '70 Chevelles: a Malibu and an SS 396. It still hurts when I think about how stupid I was to sell them. Man I'd love to have either of them back.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Man! That is a sweet ride. Whomever bought it will enjoy that one.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
The Chevelles are true muscle ... somebody's happy!!
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I love 1970-'72 Chevelles.

That will be my next car for sure.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Wow awesome car.

Maybe you guys could buy another fixer upper and work on it together like if you took some holidays and went for a visit.

Idle hands and all that.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote