Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
max212

Drives: muscle
Need an opinion on a purchase

Hi everyone. I am a potential buyer of 2010 camaro ss. And trying to gather information about them, the most important is if there are any serious issues with that year of camaro that I should be aware of. I tried using search on the forum but search function doesnt seem to work at all. The car will be occasionally taken to the strip and opened up on the highway from time to time. Also how does it compare to competition performance wise (5.0 mistang and srt 8's ) while test driving them at dealers cant really open them up and understand which one is better, I honestly dont have a big prefference in muscle cars but from what i managed to gather ls3 in camaro has more aftermarket support and tuning potential plus it comes with wider tyres in the rear. I am leaning more towards camaro as there are more of them available in my area for a good price. Any advice and information would be much appreciated sorry if i posted in the wrong thread

Last edited by max212; 09-13-2016 at 10:51 PM.
max212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
butch2000

Drives: 2010 RS , SS , supercharged ,
purchase the one you like best , if you purchase based on others opinions you may never be really happy with it ,
butch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by max212 View Post
Hi everyone. I am a potential buyer of 2010 camaro ss. And trying to gather information about them, the most important is if there are any serious issues with that year of camaro that I should be aware of. I tried using search on the forum but search function doesnt seem to work at all. The car will be occasionally taken to the strip and opened up on the highway from time to time. Also how does it compare to competition performance wise (5.0 mistang and srt 8's ) while test driving them at dealers cant really open them up and understand which one is better, I honestly dont have a big prefference in muscle cars but from what i managed to gather ls3 in camaro has more aftermarket support and tuning potential plus it comes with wider tyres in the rear. I am leaning more towards camaro as there are more of them available in my area for a good price. Any advice and information would be much appreciated sorry if i posted in the wrong thread
You can always open them up with Salesmen in the car for the test drive. Wouldn't buy a car if I couldn't. Every car feels fine under normal slow speeds. Always take it to a highway and open it up on the on-ramp to at least 75mph
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
bhvrdr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS AT6 (L99)
To answer your question, there doesnt seem to be many "first year" issues reported with the Camaro. Some may say you may want to be cautious about lifters on the L99 or oil pumps but in reality the failures are somewhat uncommon and its not a disastrous issue regardless. By the time the car has gotten to you any teething issues the car may have had have likely been identified and corrected.

I bought a 2010 SS and likely overpaid. I could have purchased any year I wanted. I like the look of the pre 2014 models so I thought I would likely be getting a 2012 or so but I happened to find a one-owner extremely low mileage 2010 SS that was at the local Chevy Dealership on a trade in. This is what I wanted. I didnt want a hacked up car that had been raced a bunch.

My advice is to just try and find as pristine as an example as you can find of whatever you like. You cant go wrong with any muscle car. I bought the Camaro for very similar reasons as you. I was just kind of wanting a V8 sound and I like modding and going to the road course track so the Camaro was a good option. Within a month I had a supercharger on it. Still, Mustangs you can see better out of and SRT8s are gobs of power and fun too. The Camaro is the easiest to reliably mod IMO and it can handle a turn or two as well like the Mustang.

Mike
bhvrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 PM   #5
max212

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
You can always open them up with Salesmen in the car for the test drive. Wouldn't buy a car if I couldn't. Every car feels fine under normal slow speeds. Always take it to a highway and open it up on the on-ramp to at least 75mph
Every salesman is different, some encourage to actually pin the car on the highway, some hesitant so the only thing i got is a somewhat agressive acceleration. It felt good but would have been better to go all the way up.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
max212

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
To answer your question, there doesnt seem to be many "first year" issues reported with the Camaro. Some may say you may want to be cautious about lifters on the L99 or oil pumps but in reality the failures are somewhat uncommon and its not a disastrous issue regardless. By the time the car has gotten to you any teething issues the car may have had have likely been identified and corrected.

I bought a 2010 SS and likely overpaid. I could have purchased any year I wanted. I like the look of the pre 2014 models so I thought I would likely be getting a 2012 or so but I happened to find a one-owner extremely low mileage 2010 SS that was at the local Chevy Dealership on a trade in. This is what I wanted. I didnt want a hacked up car that had been raced a bunch.

My advice is to just try and find as pristine as an example as you can find of whatever you like. You cant go wrong with any muscle car. I bought the Camaro for very similar reasons as you. I was just kind of wanting a V8 sound and I like modding and going to the road course track so the Camaro was a good option. Within a month I had a supercharger on it. Still, Mustangs you can see better out of and SRT8s are gobs of power and fun too. The Camaro is the easiest to reliably mod IMO and it can handle a turn or two as well like the Mustang.

Mike
Good points, the only reason I wanted to find out if first year camaros had issues is because the first year of 5.0 mustang was known for some transmission malfunctions, and it looks to be pretty common. When I started looking into camaro's I could hardly find something that was somewhat common, reliability is more important for me as supercharger is definitely in plans
Old 09-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote