Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #43
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
LS man! I got mine for my 17th birthday and I absolutly love it! Plus I've made it MINE.
Sure I would love an SS but it's nt really practical or necessary. The V6 has 320 horse, nothing to shake a stick at.
Also, make him work for it! I did, as did many other "kids" on here and it's worth so much more because of it!
One more thing. Don't modify his car for him. That annoys even us younger guys. That's something he should work for as well!
Good luck!
Attached Images

Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #44
Uggss

Drives: Black with silver stripes 2011 2ss
What ever happened to the days when kids were just happy to get a car any car. My 1st car was a beater 84 Buick sky hawk and I loved it. If it were my son I would give him the opportunity to get the SS but if he chose that route, make him get a job and pay you the difference between the 2. That way he will learn some pride of ownership and will be more likely to take care of his investment

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #45
kosmo
Finally Satisfied

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS M6
Buy him a good used car and buy yourself the SS! When he has proven that he can handle it, then you can sell the used car and use the money to mod up the SS. Also you will be able to drive it yourself! Win Win!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #46
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Oh, well, shit... just get him a ZL1 then and be done with it.

I hope you don' expect us to buy this BS you're feeding us.
The BS, come on. I don't know the OP, but I started pulling my dad's car in the driveway for him when he got home from work way before I was ten, with his help, and when I was ten I started driving a WW2 Wyllis Jeep, that's a stick of course. And yeah it was off road. Started driving on the road when I was 14, my dad acted like I had a learner's permit. Wanted me good and ready. So 15 learner's permit where I'm at. Both of my parents, divorced at that point, made me drive everywhere all the time. Not like I was complaining.

I'm 35, so not like I'm talking before they invented stop signs.

So you don't know how much this guy has taught his kid.

"I had a cruze loaner for 3 days...don't ever do that to anyone. My 2003 accord was 1000x's better than that piece of crap."

Yeah, my buddy has a 2012 cruze, he's talking about upgrading the turbo and crap. Come on, POS. I don't like riding in it, but I do to keep miles off my car and we went on a few road trips in it. But I can barely get in and out of the thing.

Far as people saying make him work for it, I won't have kids, just because, anyway, but for nieces and nephews I've thought that I screwed up in school the first go around, hence I'm 35 and back to finish my degree. So for them anything I do nice like that will be tied to grades in school.

Last edited by 2012-1822; 05-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #47
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
Where do I get a pair of fuzzy dice? LOL
I don't know if that's a serious question, but I searched up and down on the web, almost ordered some for $10 and then $6. Wasn't quite sure, and was in Advance Auto one day and they had them for $2.99 or $3.99. So I said ok.

I don't ride with them on the mirror, don't want an excuse for a cop to pull me over, so I have them wedged up in the back window, throw them on the mirror for a show or meet
Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #48
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
The BS, come on. I don't know the OP, but I started pulling my dad's car in the driveway for him when he got home from work way before I was ten, with his help, and when I was ten I started driving a WW2 Wyllis Jeep, that's a stick of course. And yeah it was off road. Started driving on the road when I was 14, my dad acted like I had a learner's permit. Wanted me good and ready. So 15 learner's permit where I'm at. Both of my parents, divorced at that point, made me drive everywhere all the time. Not like I was complaining.

I'm 35, so not like I'm talking before they invented stop signs.

So you don't know how much this guy has taught his kid.
THIS!

The amount of jealousy in this thread is ridiculous. If the guy has money, knows that his kid is responsible, and is willing to make his son happy, why shouldn't he buy him an SS?

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special). Btw, did you guys see that video of the Pedderized 1LE being driven by a high school kid, setting faster times than a ZL1? Take a look.

Op, if you know your son is more than capable of handling the car, obviously get him the SS.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #49
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
You know your son the best. I want to tell you that I am in high school as well, and you really do not want to buy an SS for him. By doing this, you are spoiling him and teaching him that good things will come easy. My dad offered me an SS as well, but I won't say yes, I want to work for my first car. Right now I have $20k saved up from ebay sales, and planning on buying a used 2LT. Second, even if you buy him a 1LS, he will end up making new friends because he is driving a nice car. These friends will persuade him into doing stupid things like street racing, drifting, speeding, etc. 323 HP is a lot for a beginner, but once he gets used to it, the 2LT is perfect. 2LT has good gas mileage, insurance is cheaper, it is also reliable. Personally, I think you should buy him the 2LT and if he wants a V8 tell him to work for it. By doing this, you know he is safe because he is in a safe car, and it gives him appreciation for his belongings and money.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #50
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
THIS!

The amount of jealousy in this thread is ridiculous. If the guy has money, knows that his kid is responsible, and is willing to make his son happy, why shouldn't he buy him an SS?

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special). Btw, did you guys see that video of the Pedderized 1LE being driven by a high school kid, setting faster times than a ZL1? Take a look.

Op, if you know your son is more than capable of handling the car, obviously get him the SS.
Do you have a link for that video?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #51
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
THIS!

Some of you guys think that just because you were irresponsible at your age that all kids don't know jack $hit about handling (moderately) high hp cars (in reality, 400hp is nothing special).

the odds are against any 16 yr old being responsible. the problem is, the part of your brain that controls reasoning is the last to fully develop, and that doesn't usually occur till your about 25 yrs old. it's not just a coincidence that most kids are irresponsible, irrational, and reckless. there's a reason we make them wait till they're 18 to make their own decisions, and wont let them drink (legally) till they're 21. it's biological. you combine that with a very powerful car, and virtually no experience and things could get ugly fast.

now that being said, sure, the op's kid may be the exception and fall into that 10% or so that are responsible, we all develop differently. but if he's not, buying him a 400 HP sports car with horrible visibility could very well end very expensively, tragically, or both.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #52
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not - but something to consider. The Camaro has very very large blind spots. It's a large car, with a low(er) stance. And it has a long, and high hood. These are serious implications for a new driver. I like to think of myself as a very good and experienced driver however I had had a hard time judging curbs and other objects in parking lots because of the hood and blind spots. I haven't hit anything at all, but I have gotten close.

I think the camaro is a great car, and if you feel your son is responsible enough to be able to keep a leash around his foot (and ego) then a 2SS would be fine. I would just advise that he gets several months, or a year, of alone time driving around town under his belt in something much less expensive and fast before moving into a camaro.

Also, DON'T tell him to never turn off TCS or EST. That will make him want to turn it off, and he will wrap the car around a tree. DO take him to an empty parking lot with no parking stops or poles and let him turn it off and get it gas while turning. That will give him a sense of how the car handles (also do it with TCS and EST on so he knows what it feels like when it kicks in) and so he also knows how easy it is to lose control with it off. And how dangerous it can be.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #53
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
I vote for learning something more appropriate / cheap for a couple of years while in high school. Then going for a LOADED ss for college / after high school if he does well with his first car.

It isn't purely an attack on his driving ability either. Hauling around friends / passengers is not good on a car, experience that instead of trash a nice car. Then you have the attention aspect that cars like this can draw.

ie, you should probably learn to ride a bicycle before you drive a motorcycle.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #54
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014camaro View Post
Do you have a link for that video?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289343

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
Old 05-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #55
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
OP hasn't posted again since his second "thanks" post". I call troll post now.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #56
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Good idea not letting your son decide which one he gets. And it's good to only have those two options for him. Let's a child know they do not always get everything they want. And to have a public forum help decide which one you buy for him is the way to go. Money is not an issue, 2SS is the answer.
Not get everything he wants, he is buying him a CAMARO for his first car LOL

Closed Thread