Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Abygale

Drives: .
Really noob tire question

I have the V6 with the RS package so the 20 inch high performance P-zero summer tires. I understand that the speed limiter based on the current tires is 155 mph. If I change to 19" tires and wheels will that decrease the speed limiter setting? How does that work?

I read something that said the speed limiter was 115 mph on the non-RS V6 cars but don't know if that is the 18" or the 19" wheels and tires. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Different tires won't change the limiter setting, but if it's a smaller diameter tire your speedometer will read faster than your actual speed.

A tire is designed to run at a certain max speed, you could put a 115 mph tire on your car, and your car will still do 150 mph, but even tho your car is capable of higher speeds you could risk shredding that particular tire over 115 mph.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Abygale

Thank you! So basically it's the rating on the tire that matters, not the size? If I go to a smaller tire, what is required to get the MPH to read correctly again?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Thank you! So basically it's the rating on the tire that matters, not the size? If I go to a smaller tire, what is required to get the MPH to read correctly again?
Just have to have someone reprogram the calibration! Some tire shops have the ability to do it or any speed shop can do it for ya!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Yes, that's why those Pirelli's are so expensive! Here's a good post about tire speed ratings...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...e+speed+rating

You'll probably need to get with your dealer on the speedometer, it's my understanding the V6 computer is a tough one to hack. When guys talk about 'tuning' their cars, they're using a programming device that is capable of hacking the cars computer and changing that parameter, along with many other enhancements that are stored there.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Abygale

Thanks guys....I appreciate the help

Yes, that 'tuning' thing on the V6 sounds like a real PITA, and is holding a lot of good after market mods/parts up for us :(
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Thanks guys....I appreciate the help

Yes, that 'tuning' thing on the V6 sounds like a real PITA, and is holding a lot of good after market mods/parts up for us :(
Lingenfelter can get in it I bet'cha

... I like the new avatar
Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Lingenfelter can get in it I bet'cha

I'm counting on it

... I like the new avatar

Thanks! That's my Halloween costume. I'm going as the Baroness from GI Joe. It's a pretty fun costume.....airsoft guns and all!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Depending on the speeds you plan on running, a decent high performance summer tire will handle normal driving easily. Tire rating determines the maximum speed the tire can safely handle; size doesn't matter really, it's what the manufacturer rates their tire at.

Going with a smaller tire than stock just requires a speed shop to reprogram the computer for the correct speedometer reading. It's also a good idea to have an alignment done so the car is correctly setup for the change in wheel size.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Abygale

Thank you Doc. I may be taking the car on the track some, possibly as early as next weekend. I really wanted to get some 19" tires and wheels put on it at some point soon and I want to make sure I understand the ramifications!

Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

You go Aby!! The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo comes in a 275/40-19 which I got for $175 each and is able to handle your "need for speed" hehe. Pretty soon your sig will change to you posing with trophies on the hood of your car...just you watch.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You go Aby!! The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo comes in a 275/40-19 which I got for $175 each and is able to handle your "need for speed" hehe. Pretty soon your sig will change to you posing with trophies on the hood of your car...just you watch.
LOL...maybe! If someone would have told me three months ago that I would think about racing cars in any fashion, I would have said no way! Goes to show you that really anything is possible!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
LOL...maybe! If someone would have told me three months ago that I would think about racing cars in any fashion, I would have said no way! Goes to show you that really anything is possible!
Knowing how competitive you are, I'll be very surprised if you don't hehehe. Competitive driving is such a blast and so addicting; there's always "next race" and your mind filled with all the things you need to do, want to do, should do, won't do again lol.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:

If you go to a smaller tire, your dealer can reprogram for you.

If you have a TUNE from LPE, you would want them to set it for you.

The setting is in the computer and can be adjusted with a programmer.

I will have LPE do mine...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote