Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Body Colored Engine Covers Option

On the body colored engine covers option the silver covers shown in the first 3 pictures below would be painted to match the color of your camaro. Notice they are orange in the last picture (Dale Jr Camaro). I have even read reports that you can have them painted some other color as well. My question is what color will the surrounding engine be? We it be black as shown in the first few pictures, or will it be a gray color as shown in the last picture (Dale Jr Camaro)? I think if the surrounding engine color would be gray then black engine covers would look great because my car will be black with silver rally stripes. If it is black then I think the factory look will look good and there is no need for me to spend the extra $380.
Attached Images

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I'd say silver like the Inferno Orange cover, but I don't recall seeing any optional covers except the orange, so it's a guess. And only the Inferno Orange is pictured in the GMPP catalog.
If correct, then the Black optional cover vs. the stock cover would simply be a reversal of the black and silver colors, certainly not worth $285. Good point for those buying a black car to consider.

EDIT: Of course you can order the LPO body color matched cover (VYX) and have your dealer change it to another color prior to delivery as John Cox explained:

This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from GM Accessories and this is a great question I wanted to answer for you guys. The engine cover will default to the body color of your vehicle. If you do not want the body color but rather a different color please specify to your dealer. We have distributors who contact the dealer before the vehicle is delivered and confirm the order. At that time the dealer should tell our distributor to deliver an "orange engine cover" as opposed to the black one for the black car as referenced above in one of the threads. I would recommend you telling your dealer what color you want if it is Not the exterior body color.

Last edited by Rodrunner; 02-12-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
I'd say silver like the Inferno Orange cover, but I don't recall seeing any optional covers except the orange, so it's a guess. And only the Inferno Orange is pictured in the GMPP catalog.
If correct, then the Black optional cover vs. the stock cover would simply be a reversal of the black and silver colors, certainly not worth $285. Good point for those buying a black car to consider.

EDIT: Of course you can order the LPO body color matched cover (VYX) and have your dealer change it to another color prior to delivery as John Cox explained:

This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from GM Accessories and this is a great question I wanted to answer for you guys. The engine cover will default to the body color of your vehicle. If you do not want the body color but rather a different color please specify to your dealer. We have distributors who contact the dealer before the vehicle is delivered and confirm the order. At that time the dealer should tell our distributor to deliver an "orange engine cover" as opposed to the black one for the black car as referenced above in one of the threads. I would recommend you telling your dealer what color you want if it is Not the exterior body color.
I guess at this point there are two possibilities. The first is that the gray surrounding engine on the Dale Jr car is only gray because it is a custom Camaro for show and this will not happen when a production Camaro is built with the body colored engine cover option. The second would be that they switch the surrounding black engine area to gray when this option is added. The end result is better for the second scenario than the first. I would not really be too excited about black engine covers on a black surrounding engine area. I think I may have just talked myself into saving the $285.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolt76 View Post
I guess at this point there are two possibilities. The first is that the gray surrounding engine on the Dale Jr car is only gray because it is a custom Camaro for show and this will not happen when a production Camaro is built with the body colored engine cover option. The second would be that they switch the surrounding black engine area to gray when this option is added. The end result is better for the second scenario than the first. I would not really be too excited about black engine covers on a black surrounding engine area. I think I may have just talked myself into saving the $285.
Actually I think $285 is the GM performance price. I think $380 is the price you pay if the dealer installs the covers. I am assuming the difference is that the dealer installed ones will be painted and the others will not.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Rodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolt76 View Post

How's life in Virginia, camarolt76? I gotta ask, why are you camarolt if you have an SS on order?

First, the top OP pics must be the stock cover, since no silver optional cover is being offered. Next, the Dale Jr. cover matches the Inferno Orange cover pictured in the GMPP catalog, so I don't think it's custom. Have you seen it? So, I would imagine the orange is simply replaced with black for a black cover. I'm going to get a Victory Red cover for my black car, and I'm hoping more pictures come out nearer production so we no longer have to guess.

EDIT: I think I remember reading that it's just colored plastic, not painted!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Why pay for $300+ for a bland paint scheme, when you can get a nice rattle can with good quality paint and do a custom job for like $8 dollars a can

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I have a black maro on order and told my dealer I wanted the orange cover
he said the best thing to do would be to get it from them when my car arives
(over the counter) They will have all colors in stock.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
$380! for painted plastic!? That's out of control! I won't be paying for that, looks nice if it matches the car but too much money...
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
$380! for painted plastic!? That's out of control! I won't be paying for that, looks nice if it matches the car but too much money...
+1 wait till an aftermarket company makes one it will be cheaper and probably better designs too
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #10
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by in a hurry View Post
I have a black maro on order and told my dealer I wanted the orange cover
he said the best thing to do would be to get it from them when my car arives
(over the counter) They will have all colors in stock.
That's the same thing my dealer told me as well. I am going to do something, whether it's that, waiting for a good looking after market design, or having a shop paint mine whatever color with whatever writing (if any) I want. If I do paint it a custom color, I really don't know right now what color I'll choose for my black SS.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Why not just paint it yourself. Not too hard and you save 300 bucks. Thats like buying an intake! Color matched spray cans are like 20 bucks, clear coat 10, primer 10, sand paper 5, satisfaction of doing it yourself.....priceless. Plus you have any color you want! I did mine on my current car, it looks awsome. Sand, primer, paint,clearcoat, wet sand, done.
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post

How's life in Virginia, camarolt76? I gotta ask, why are you camarolt if you have an SS on order?

First, the top OP pics must be the stock cover, since no silver optional cover is being offered. Next, the Dale Jr. cover matches the Inferno Orange cover pictured in the GMPP catalog, so I don't think it's custom. Have you seen it? So, I would imagine the orange is simply replaced with black for a black cover. I'm going to get a Victory Red cover for my black car, and I'm hoping more pictures come out nearer production so we no longer have to guess.

EDIT: I think I remember reading that it's just colored plastic, not painted!
Hello Rodrunner,

Life in Virginia is good, but it will be better when my 2010 2SS/RS arrives at my dealarship! The reason my screen name is CamaroLT76 is because I have owned my 1976 Type LT Camaro since 1984. It was my first car. I take it to a few car shows every year, and on the ocasional drive in the summer. I plan to drive my 2010 2SS/RS much more than the 76.

I have seen the engine cover for the Dale Jr car on the GM Performance Parts web site. I think you could be right in that the orange is replaced by black for a black car. If that is the case then the surrounding cover could be gray. With that being said I think the stock covers will do just fine for delivery of my car. I can always paint them later if desired, or buy GMPP or aftermarket covers.

P.S.
I also have a 1988 Camaro Iroc which I have driven for 11 years! I think I have a problem letting go of Camaros. What do you think?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Rodrunner

I didn't think about the '76 being an LT - duh. Must be real nice. I liked my '85 Z-28, but then it got totaled in '95, and no hot car since. This is going to be sweet!

After reading what everyone has had to say here, I'm having second thoughts about getting the optional cover too. That is a pretty ridiculous amount of money for what you get.
There's a little more info. here on the cover if you care to look: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=engine+cover

EDIT: You're right, it's painted. Not sure about it being plastic though.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
cosmin haraga

Drives: AlfaRomeo 147
i have silver sooooo I'd take silver, if I cared, which I don't.
cosmin haraga is offline   Reply With Quote