Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
WatchThis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Driveshaft Hits Heatshield

I’ve got a 2010 Camaro SS with a one piece aluminum driveshaft from DSS. Lately I’ve been having issues with the driveshaft rubbing hard on the heatshield. The first time it happened, I took the car back to my shop to have them adjust the heatshield so it doesn’t hit. Worked for a few weeks and then it did it again but it seemed to be caused by pulling out of a driveway with a steep incline that I took at an angle. So my thought is that since I have removed the front sway bar, taking the steep driveway at an angle allowed to car to flex causing the driveshaft to rub on the heatshield (and continue to rub the following 5ish miles home ).

Got the car home, put it up on jackstands and got under her. I basically unbolted the heatshield, drilled the mounting holes out some, added a washer to each one and bolted it back on as tight as I reasonably could. Told the shop about it, they ordered some subframe connectors, cradle and diff bushings that we think will solve the issue. Well today, on the way home from work, I had some open highway and had a little fun with a good hit of the skinny pedal. Low and behold, the driveshaft is hitting the heatshield again, only not as bad as the previous two times. Not yet at least.

So my questions are, has anyone had a similar issue and does anyone have any further suggestions/ideas?

WatchThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I have a DSS carbon fiber ds. My shield was very close to it and I just took it off. I also wrapped my exhaust with header wrap to cut down on radiant heat.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Just take the heatshield out
Old 12-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
WatchThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I have a DSS carbon fiber ds. My shield was very close to it and I just took it off. I also wrapped my exhaust with header wrap to cut down on radiant heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
Just take the heatshield out
I had debated on just taking it off and be done with it but didn’t know if that would create yet another problem such as excessive heat or something.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:54 AM   #5
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
I had debated on just taking it off and be done with it but didn’t know if that would create yet another problem such as excessive heat or something.
Search on here, most if not all people with 1 pieces don't have the heat shield and don't have problems
Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
WatchThis

So I’m going to bump this thread up for a little more help on this issue.

I got the heatshield off and went to bolt the driveshaft back up in place but it seems as though the cables for the ebrake that run right below the gas tank/above the driveshaft are sitting right on top of the driveshaft. So as the driveshaft turns its going to start wearing on that cable real quick.

There are white clips on the bottom of the gas tank that are supposed to hold the ebrake cables but the cables don’t stay in them, they pop right back out. I’m looking for ideas as to how I can secure the cables up and away from the driveshaft yoke. There’s nowhere to zip tie it up nor to be able to drill into.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
blake-b

I used looooong zip ties to tie the cables back. They need to be long to reach far enough back to somewhere you can loop them through. I think they are 18" or so. I got the longest ones Harbor Freight sold.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
WatchThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I used looooong zip ties to tie the cables back. They need to be long to reach far enough back to somewhere you can loop them through. I think they are 18" or so. I got the longest ones Harbor Freight sold.
That’s what I was thinking about doing but didn’t see anywhere to zip tie them to. What did you zip tie around?

Old 12-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
blake-b

I can't remember exactly but there are some stationary "structures" near the fuel tank you can go around or through.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:53 PM   #10
Rdgray2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
I’ve got a 2010 Camaro SS with a one piece aluminum driveshaft from DSS. Lately I’ve been having issues with the driveshaft rubbing hard on the heatshield. The first time it happened, I took the car back to my shop to have them adjust the heatshield so it doesn’t hit. Worked for a few weeks and then it did it again but it seemed to be caused by pulling out of a driveway with a steep incline that I took at an angle. So my thought is that since I have removed the front sway bar, taking the steep driveway at an angle allowed to car to flex causing the driveshaft to rub on the heatshield (and continue to rub the following 5ish miles home ).

Got the car home, put it up on jackstands and got under her. I basically unbolted the heatshield, drilled the mounting holes out some, added a washer to each one and bolted it back on as tight as I reasonably could. Told the shop about it, they ordered some subframe connectors, cradle and diff bushings that we think will solve the issue. Well today, on the way home from work, I had some open highway and had a little fun with a good hit of the skinny pedal. Low and behold, the driveshaft is hitting the heatshield again, only not as bad as the previous two times. Not yet at least.

So my questions are, has anyone had a similar issue and does anyone have any further suggestions/ideas?
I to have the same problem with the driveshaft is hitting something but only when lm really in it on 1st and 2nd gear, just wondering what was your fix?
Rdgray2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:52 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
His post was 5 years ago, not sure if he even is still on here, but could be. I installed a 3.5 inch dia 1 pc aluminum drive shaft in my Camaro and it was hitting the heat shield, so I just removed it! No heat issues thus far. Done a year ago. You could always bend it upwards some for clearance since they are so "flimsey" and they do bend easily, just push it up a bit where you think it is hitting. Good luck..
Old 04-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #12
BADNEWS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Just did BMR suspension, drag pack, and one piece dss. Now I’m having the issue with the ebrake popping out of the clips and rubbing against the drive shaft causing a terrible noise. Fix actions? Nowhere to zip tie… frustrated!
BADNEWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I for one, never had THAT issue to deal with.