Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
TheFIG

Drives: Wide 2010 2SS
Heads for an LSA install?

So I have this LSA that I got off a ZL1, and now I have to figure out what to do with the heads. Can I simply buy some heads that are already machined and ready to slap on my 2010 SS 6M's block, and then slap on the LSA blower and it work just fine? Or do I have to go and do more, any help?
TheFIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
im not sure people understand what you are asking?

did you purchase a short black LSA?
Long block?
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Adadda

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS. L99
sounds like you are saying you have the supercharger from a ZL1 and wanna put it on your LS3 and want to know what heads to use ?
Adadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The LSA heads are interchangeable with LS3 heads in fact they are better for FI.

Slapping a LSA blower on your LS3 motor with your existing LS3 or LSA heads is easy but the front accessories and other items make it really expensive and a pain in the butt.

I would hit up ADM as they can do the install or sell you the components needed to do it yourself.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
did you purchase a short black LSA?
That's racist.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
TheFIG

I did purchase a blower off a ZL1, and I am going to install it on my 2010 SS 6M, Small Block, LS3.

I just want to get some insight on what to do about the heads.

Some shops have told me to get my LS3 heads machined, due to the bottom of the LSA blower having studs that interfere. Other shops said to remove the studs and simply slap on the blower.

But to use LS9 GM Head gaskets not cometic, ARP Head studs or bolts, steel rods, manley SS valves and to go with PRC .650 lift springs.

I'm aiming at somewhere near 600-650hp after this install and a blower cam.

SRT10KLLR, do you recommend the GM front accessory or a different manufacturer? Also what other items do you speak of, that make this expensive???
Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
The LSa heads wont make more power than the LS3/L99 heads. I would not do it unless you are wanting a cnc ported head. We have LSa cnc ported heads available if you decide to go that route. They typically gain about 30hp on a lsa build.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
TheFIG

Ok so no go with changing the heads, since the LS3 heads will work with the LSA blower. Thanks for that.

But I do however need the valves, springs, studs, and rods to be able to put up with the boost that the LSA is going to produce. What components will be able to satisfy my setup, as well as be ready for a cam upgrade later on down the road.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the LSA front accessory system for my LS3 (that way it is identical to the factory ZL1 setup?)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Do you have electric steering?
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
The LSA heads are interchangeable with LS3 heads in fact they are better for FI.

Slapping a LSA blower on your LS3 motor with your existing LS3 or LSA heads is easy but the front accessories and other items make it really expensive and a pain in the butt.

I would hit up ADM as they can do the install or sell you the components needed to do it yourself.

I've told him more than once to just bring it to us,it's a road we travel often
Unlike most.

Yes there are a lot of pitfalls,yes he is finding this out now!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
TheFIG

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I have no issues with finding out the "pitfalls" and yes finding out now as I go on with my build is what makes this more and more interesting to me. I am more than thankful for all the advice and help I have received from you all. This is just the start of what I want to do with my ride, and once done, yes Andy I will take it to your shop. Not only have you told me to do so, but my buddy here that has frequent your shop been hassling me to take it to you when I get back stateside.

The thing is, trying to find all the components and making sure they are the right ones for my setup' all the way from Afghanistan has been my issue.

For now I have all the parts I will be needing for my setup, other than the GM LSA front accessory drive kit. I'm still shopping around to see where I can get it for a good price. Seeing that I am going to do the install myself, and then taking it for a good tune. I am trying to save some cash here.

No electric steering, it's a stock 2010 SS LS3. I think 13' and newer come with the electric, I think.