Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #71
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Looks good slick rick!!! So, it did not come with the wiring harness and the wiring may not be in place? Have you popped the empty space thing to see if there is anything in there?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #72
VT2CA

Drives: 2010 1LT CYBER GREY
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Well I picked up part today, see pictures below.

I'm debating if I should attempt this myself or have my dealer do it after reading VT2CA's install thread.

Hey VT2CA, when you switched steering wheels, was there an extra cable to connect that wasn't there before the swap?

As for the $1200 harness, I can't comment on it other then mention that my dealer told me the harness for the steering wheel was part number 92236310 and went for $35.31.
My base model wheel did not have a connector for this button. I imagine the harness they are trying to sell you also hooks to the cruise control button as both buttons connect with the same harness to the main electrical connector for the wheel.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #73
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
My base model wheel did not have a connector for this button. I imagine the harness they are trying to sell you also hooks to the cruise control button as both buttons connect with the same harness to the main electrical connector for the wheel.
probably so, that is what I had to do when adding radio controls on my HHR.. I had to swap out the harness that goes to the cruise control buttons.. I has an extra connector for the radio buttons built into that harness..
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #74
T_MECO

Drives: 2013 SS/RS 1LE
there has got to be a harness bundle that can be run to the radio seperately that can avoid a whole new underdash harness. My local Chevy dealer is looking into it still. Fingers crossed
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #75
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MECO View Post
there has got to be a harness bundle that can be run to the radio seperately that can avoid a whole new underdash harness. My local Chevy dealer is looking into it still. Fingers crossed
I don't know, On my HHR I didn't need anything but the buttons and the harness that T's off the wiring that comes up the center of the steering column... all the wiring was in that connector, they just needed something to connect with... But I did have to switch the wires for the lighted buttons, so they wouuld illuminate with the lights.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #76
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MECO View Post
slick rick mentioned in his post above that his dealer quoted about 35 bones for the harness...

whoever can have the parts installed and programmed successfully gets a firm handshake and a pat on the back!

rick, did eric mention if they are able to program the radio for the buttons or do they need to update their MDI again

Last edited by Iwantone2; 12-14-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #77
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Ok, all three part numbers that slick rick posted a few posts ago are now showing up on GM Parts Direct:
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #78
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
rick, did eric mention if they are able to program the radio for the buttons or do they need to update their MDI again
He didn't say if they could or not but I'm sure they'd be willing to try.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #79
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
He didn't say if they could or not but I'm sure they'd be willing to try.
ugghh!!! i wouldn't want to sit in their showroom for another 6 hours! last time i was hearing the "Herb Alpert and the Tijuan Brass - Spanish Flea" tune in my head the whole time!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #80
TA219

Drives: 2010 SS - 1967 327 Coupe
Anyone make progress on this? I would love to install steering wheel controls!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #81
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

TA, parts are available and can be installed. We (collectively) are just waiting to see who the first sucker...I mean, brave person is who will go through the update process. Nobody knows what needs to be updated: radio, BCM, etc?

Please stay tuned, we are trying to make progess on this
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #82
AmericanV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Chrysler 300 SRT8
Quote:
TA, parts are available and can be installed. We (collectively) are just waiting to see who the first sucker...I mean, brave person is who will go through the update process. Nobody knows what needs to be updated: radio, BCM, etc?

Please stay tuned, we are trying to make progess on this

HAHA, my Camaro will arrive next week and I shall be the first sucker to try! Can the dealer deny doing the work if they think it won't work?? Because i want it in there even if they can't get it to work. IMO it just looks bland with a blank plastic cover there. I know i'm wierd.........
Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #83
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanV8 View Post
HAHA, my Camaro will arrive next week and I shall be the first sucker to try! Can the dealer deny doing the work if they think it won't work?? Because i want it in there even if they can't get it to work. IMO it just looks bland with a blank plastic cover there. I know i'm wierd.........
I don't see why they would deny doing the work. It's just money in their pocket as far as they should be concerned. AmericanV8, who's your dealer? And congrats on getting your car!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #84
AmericanV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Chrysler 300 SRT8
Quote:
I don't see why they would deny doing the work. It's just money in their pocket as far as they should be concerned. AmericanV8, who's your dealer? And congrats on getting your car!!!

Iwantone2 - Hey man, I just got off the phone with Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet here in San Diego and they said they would charge me $220 for labor but could not gaurantee that it will work.

Community Chevrolet took down my info. and they said that they would call GM and see if it was possible and get back to me later on in the day. So as soon as i hear from them I will let you guys know. Man, I hope this works.......

Closed Thread