Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Clicking Clutch Pedal

I have about 24,000 miles on my bone stock 2011 SS. It is never beat on, tracked or drag raced. Essentially, it's driven around town on the weekends and to the grocery store.

All of that said, it has developed an intermittent click when pushing the clutch pedal. The click comes within the first 1 inch of travel. I've searched around the forum and found one other person who seems to have this issue but there were no replies to his post.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what could be causing an intermittent click when pressing the clutch?

Other than this annoying click that shows up every so often, the clutch operates fine. Someone suggested that when the weather dipped into the high 30s that the bushings contracted and may be the cause.

Thank you.

Last edited by TheHorse13; 11-17-2014 at 08:13 AM.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I actually opted out of buying a 2014 off the lot because it had this noise. I checked car i ended up with also and it did not have same noise when pedal was depressed. Interested to know what it ends up being.

CAGS Skip-Shift Eliminator
1LE Strut Tower Brace
GMPP Track Pack Axleback
Halltech CAI
Fuse Pull Mod
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
TheHorse13

Since I'm no longer covered under warranty, I decided to poke my head under the dash and see if I can spot anything obvious.

The pedal is not loose and all of the bushings and spring are exactly where they should be. I pressed the pedal with my hand and of course it operated perfectly fine. I did this about 20 times and then decided to try it with my foot. Both methods produced perfect pedal travel and without the click. Urgh.

Now the one thing that I did notice is that one of the white plastic/nylon spring bushings did move some while I was pressing the pedal. I'm not sure if the bushing works its way out and then pops back in. I guess I will have to keep an eye on this and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Can't be as annoying as my intermittent squeaking clutch pedal
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
TheHorse13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Can't be as annoying as my intermittent squeaking clutch pedal
Someone else had your problem and solved it by hitting the white bushings with graphite dry lube.

I wish that my problem was that simple to fix.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
The clicking is the spring on the clutch pedal, my advice is just order a new clutch pedal and replace the whole assembly. It's not hard to do, bleeding the clutch afterwards can be difficult but it's better then listening to the clicking sound.

A squeaky clutch pedal is simple fix, using a flat head screwdriver pop off the clutch master cylinder from the pedal and put some white grease on the tiny shaft the master cylinder snaps onto. your squeak should be gone.

Good luck everyone.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
TheHorse13

Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to assume that the clicking noise is not an indicator of some sort of pedal failure? If this is just something that will make an annoying sound every so often, then I will just leave it.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Or try ordering a new spring. And see if that fixes it. Mine snapped, and fell on the floor.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to assume that the clicking noise is not an indicator of some sort of pedal failure? If this is just something that will make an annoying sound every so often, then I will just leave it.
i've seen this a few times before , it's the spring making the noise but no matter what i did it wouldn't stop, replaced the pedal assy and it was fine. something is either out of alignment or spring was made wrong ect.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
TheHorse13

I was hoping to avoid replacing the pedal assembly because I know what a pain in the butt it is to get access to the clutch bleeder.

Thanks for all the replies. At least I know what the issue is and what the ultimate solution will have to be.