Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Tale of two Corvettes... My old C5 and the C6 that replaced it.

My love affair with the Corvette started when I was 4 or 5 years old. My uncle Eddie pulled up in a 1976 Yellow Vette that blew me all away. From that moment on, every car I came across was nothing more than a PRETENDER. The Porsche, the Mustang, the Camaro, the Fiats, even the Pantera was just not enough to steal my heart. In 1984 the new Vette hit the streets. I remember a fresh POSTER SIZE two page pull out, from Motor Trend showing the entire engineering layout of the first completely new Corvette in 16 years. The thing was awesome. At the time the fastest mass produced car on the road. Of course even in 1984 I was only 12 years old and owning a Corvette was a pipe dream. The years went by and finally the time came for me to get my license. My first car was a 1977 Buick Regal with a 350 with a 4barr. on top. On the day that I got my Regalm my older brother showed up with a 1981 L82 Corvette burgund and it was gorgeous. Girls Flocked to it and although it wasn't the fastest car on the road, it was one of the sexiest...fast forward to the year 2000..and I find my self trading in my third Corvette, a 1998 C5 for a Silver Millennium one, and there U have where the story stops. In this car I found one helluva runner, gorgeous, sexy, and SUPER FAST.

Even though when I bought the 2000 Corvette, we will call Mary Jane, after Peter Parker's girl, it was a runner. It came stock with Horsepower @ RPM - 345 @ 5600, Torque (lbs. ft.) 350 @4400, and a compression of 10.1:1. Mine came in sebring Silver with Black interior, chrome Millennium wheels, and a Glass targa top. The first thing I remember thinking when I slipped into upon test drive was WOW, what a spacious interior. The trunk was HUGE. The leg room was fantastic, and the instrument cluster was spectacular. There is just something about looking up at the speedometer and seeing it actually have a mark for 200 MPH. Most cars will never see 200mph, but for a Vette U kno that it is just a couple thousand dollars in mods. away. Coming from the digital/analog cluster of my Black 1995 C4 this Vette's interior was refreshing, and airy. I still to this day prefer taking this on long road trips over even my Yukon, for the simple fact that it is comfortable and a sports car and that normally just doesn't mix well. I mean seriously , try driving 250 miles straight in a S2000, Boxter, SL55, or Viper, and I guarantee you'll be either suicidal or psychotic by the time U reach your destination. Press the pedal down even slightly in this stock performance variant of the C5 and U will kno why it is feared by every one in anything under a 911 Turbo on the food chain. The power was uncanny. The car is light coming in at about 3200lbs, and pulling 0-60 in about 4.7secs, 13.1 in the 1/4 at about 111mph. If U want better times lose the Front Tires : 245/45-17 Rear Tire - P275/40ZR18 Run Flats and move up to regular tires. I had to go with Nittos and I saw a difference just like that. This car in stock form after a tire change was pulling 12.6-12.8 @ 113-115 MPH..STOCK.

Now for the MODS:

First thing I changed after the tires was the Air Filter of course. K&N at first and after a freak accident, cracking one side of the Filter Airway's plastic, I replaced it with a BLACKWING Filter system. I could see the difference thing open up the Vettes breathing passage like a big bottle of NASONEX. After that I talked to my guy at Corvette Performance here in Baltimore and he recommended the Lingenfelter treatment, but he would do the work at 1/2 the cost. I of course had to have a Z06 Intake as well to added to the shopping list and away we went. The current Modification on my Mary Jane are Hi-po hydraulic cam, Corsa 4 outlet Exhaust, Corsa X pipe, hi-po Mass Air sensors and housing, Hi-po throttle Body, Hypertech Re-Programming, and a lotta love. Oh I did have to change my Thermostat to a 160 to keep it cool, because we noticed that she was running constantly a little above the 220 range after a good run and I damn sure didn’t wanna have to replace an engine . Lastly ..the only thing I change in the way of the suspension were the shocks. I changed the stock ones to Bilsteins Sports and I was done. It rides a little rougher than the stock ones but still better than my C4 or old M3. I still don't kno how a coupla of guys I kno can stand riding in theirs after they LOWERED theirs 1-2 inches. I say keep it stock!!!

Oh the mods brought sweet gains as well. I have been dynoed at 402HP/420lbs at the wheels. I’ve pulled anywhere from 11.8 to 12.2 @ 118-122mph. My brakes are stock as are the rotors. I spent maybe about $5K in mods over the years including the tires and labor.

For the life of me I can't bring myself to sell it to get a C6, I love it too much. I think I will probably wait for the C7s before I leave this car.

BTW U cannot find a car around that will get U as much play as a Vette. It pulls broads in from every direction ..from Hood Rat to Debutant to bored stay at home spend up hubbies $$$ MILFS.

I LOVE MY MARY JANE.

(The ABOVE REVIEW was done about 2 years ago after a old MOD at MT Forum, named Clothio, asked me to post my thoughts on the C5... hence the time deviations)

Enter the C6... We will call her KATYA PETROVA, after a coupla exs, both from Russia. Both fun... both gorgeous as all get out.

The Car itself is fantastic. I mean that in so many ways.

The Exterior styling to me is a LEAP 4ward from the C5 a more contemporary look of it's own more so than the C5 in fact. What I mean by that is when the C5 first came out many argued that Chevy had essentially taken styling cues from both it's past, but also several other cars from the present (that was 1996). From some angles people argued that they could see the C3 then some aspects of the C4 but the front was very similar to the 1993 RX7 and the sides were reminiscent of the NSX, and some homage to the Ferrari 355. That didn't happen with the C6. The car seems to be completely unique, and leap forward from the C4 more than the C5 in fact. I see more styling cues from the Corvettes from 1991-1996 than anything else, bolstered and morphed like the WIND itself hand a hand in designing the car... It is GORGEOUS in every color, shade or derivation from all angles. Whether Convertible, Coupe, Z06, ZR1 the car just looks good.

I chose black this time, as an homage back to my first two Vettes. I always loved a Black car, but as with them my only complaint is that with Black U feel the need to rinse them off, or dust them way to much. My father-in-law actually told me I was a Glutton for Punishment in that I now have 4 Dark Colored cars parked at my house.. I agree. Thank GOD for Garages.

The Interior is the best interior ever put into a Vette. I would like to seriously congratulate and thank Chevy for improving this car's interior over the last 3 years. A testament to what is going on since the UAW contracts were redone. The first 2005 Vette I sat in I was torn. The interior was an improvement over the C5's, but not the leap into Porsche territory that I had wished for. AND THAT Steering wheel. A 4 spoke circle of ugliness. I pledged that I would never own a 2005 on that principle alone. Lo and Behold in 2006 they changed it to a 3 spoke design. Much more easy to deal with than what was there previous. It just meshed better with the rest of the car. Another strong change for 2008 was the addition of Pay for a Better Interior Ideology. A suggestion I think Chevy lifted from a writer over at AUTOMOBILE Magazine as he voiced the idea that Chevy should offer an upgraded interior as an option for those who wished to buy it where was the harm?

My car is the 3LT, MN6, NPP Exhaust, Z51 Package, NAV, Two-Ton Interior, Dual Roof, Chrome Forged Wheels, and a coupla other extras... As mentioned before the interior is an upgrade of sorts over the base model. And for some one shoe wishes to move up from my interior package, there is the 4LT one which pretty much improves even more so on what I have with Cut and Sew Leather thru out the entire cabin... Doors, Dash, EVERYWHERE. The two-tone seats and dash, cut and sewn run leather from Console to the HVAC portion of the center console. Carbon-Fiber inlay on the console and up around the Head-set and very easy to use NAV with touch-screen controls for both the GPS and the Entertainment system. The Bose speakers sound GOOD Seriously SWEET.

Those who are unfamiliar with the car will figure the entry system very fast. Reach into the door cove and as long as your key fob is within range the doors will open for U as easy as rain. Like in my STS the Key Fob never really needs to leave your pocket, and the only thing that U will ever use the key for is if for some reason U are ever locked out due to a battery failure or something. Everything works off this notion opening the doors, the trunk and my favorite part FIRING THAT MOFO UP!!!

Push the button (exactly like my STS) and VROOOOMM the butterfly opens on the Dual-Mode exhaust to let out a helluva sweet sound. Honest to GOD U will think that U already have an after market exhaust installed from Corsa or Billy Boat, when she fires up. The NPP Exhaust (Dual-Mode) basically runs pretty quiet under 3500RPM.. but when U let it lose after that, the sound is nothing short of ground shaking. ANY car lover will love it. For those who desire complete control over it, such as having it open all the time.. U can actually buy a remote control module and install it in about 10 minutes that allows the valve to stay open of closed at the push of a button. There is also another trick to doing it without the remote but I’ll save that for myself. The Exhaust adds 6HP to the LS3, bring my stock numbers to 436HP. U can also quicken the exhaust note by setting your Heads-Up-Display to Track Mode or Track 2 mode. This bring the exhaust on line at 2800RPM from what I'm seeing despite Chevy saying it happens at 3000RPM. If U get a car with HUD... U will want all your cars to have it from that point on. I find myself now looking up on the windshield of all my rides to see how fast I'm going, what RPM I'm at, and how many Lateral Gs I'm pulling. A great invention without a doubt.

The car takes off like a BAT OUTTA HELL. It's addictive in fact. My last Vette was powerful, but despite it having a 450HP after mods, this one feels stronger. The rear ratio has some say, but of course the 6-Speed Manny has some say as well. And to be honest with almost ever one I kno of getting DYNO results of 389-393 HP at the Wheels, I would argue that this car is putting out a closer number to 450HP in reality taking in consideration the normal 15% loss from Engine to wheels.. 391.6 is the number U would come up with. I believe it. Take of is STRONG… even with my BIGGEST COMPLAINT, the RUN-FLAT tires. I am seriously gonna change these to Michelin PS2s, but cant bring myself to take these BRND new tires off without getting some use out of them. No to mention I am still torn on whether to buy aftermarket Rims so keeping these on the Stock wheels would be perfect for off-season swaps.

Anyway, I've been driving it everyday as soon as I get home from work trying to familiarize myself with it. My C5 was an AUTO and this is a STICK... HUGE DIFFERENCE in the way the power gets down. HUGE!!! Getting used to a Stick again is a chore sometime, and I won’t lie I had to learn (and continue to do so) the best shift points for the car based on conditions. I have removed the CAG so the 1 to 4 shift is no longer a problem, but I actually find a run from 1st to 3rd as being a pretty nice way of getting out on the Highway instead of jumping to 2nd then 3rd, and so on. U wil also find that 6th gear is only really necessary above 80MPH… as even in 5th U are under 2500 RPM at 80-90MPH. In fact… around town some may forget that U are still in 4th, as I have done, it just runs so smooth, and the torque is always on tap. In competition mode, I have found that launching in 2000RPM has benefits of it’s own. Nice take off is a reward as U find yourself waaaaaaay up the road doing 90-100MPH in less than the time for U to look around and see if the MD State Troopers are closing in. To my surprise I haven’t been pulled over yet, because admittedly it is hard to keep this car under 100. In my tests of the Z06 versus driving my Z51, I find that although U certainly can feel the extra HP, U would never put it to the test unless U are thinking of Tracking the car on the weekends. This was a HUGE factor in my buying decision that and the fact that the Z06 doesn’t come in a Topless/Targa form (WTF CHEVY?)

MODS Done and no more coming. I have so far put the CAGS Eliminator in, changed the Fog Lights from the regular Halogens to MTEC Super white 4750s to even out the look at night with the Xenon Headlights, Put a Race Mesh Grille in the front air Damm, put a steering wheel cover over my Wheel as I have gotten used to the feel of it in the G6 so I had to have one in my Vette.

AND lastly I installed a Cold Air Intake from Vortex. Supposed gain is an extra 27-40HP based on air flow, meaning U get the most power as U are moving at higher velocities. After I installed the CAI.. my car started throwing codes, and the "Check Engine" light came on. So I took it infor a tune. After the laptop was hooked up ... Tweaking and Tweaking... until HAPPY DAY!!!! The tuner pulls the Meter in at 414.6 HP/402LBS AT THE WHEELS.. And this was on a Mustang Dyno, which is usually conservative IMO..
At 414.6 at the wheels this means that I have about 477HP coming outta that Engine at the fly... ONLY 27MORE to Go and I am hitting along with the Z06...

First time I've had it up to 170... Pulled it in 5th just like the book said and she was still READY to go more... I won't lie.. I froze up and let it come down... My boy took his 2000 Viper up to 190... I had 3 more of my friends 3 miles up ahead of me. They called me and I had them on the cell the whole time using a Blue Tooth Hands free. We did it on a pretty secluded highway with no inlets so the span of highway we hit revealed ANY cars... including Patrol cars and none could just happen to come on the road...

Anyway.. I'm enjoying my toys, and look forward to nice weather for cruising in the sun

Then came a new day:

I got him boys.. I got him... Similar situation as before... but this time I saw the guy.. We'll call him Rob.. at the Highs. He says to me... "Hey didn't I waste that Vette a coupla weeks ago right up the road???" He's laughing at me while a coupla cats I recognize from the Green Turtle are grinning...

I'm like.. "Yeah..." with my head kinda down remembering my first run in with this guy...http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7064...z51/index.html

I say to him.. "but that was my bad.. I slipped up in my shift... I had your ass and U kno it..." in usual Cmicasa the Great fashion

He says to me.. "We can do it again... I got a quick 5 secs to make a Vette look bad... " :shocked:

It's on...

One of the guys gets my number... rides ahead of us to make sure that 5/0 is no where within the next 1/2 mile.. calls back down to my Cell and the roll is on....

This time I realize that this guy is kicking a 911TURBO!!! We are talking 480HP/500lbs.. versus my 470+HP Z51... We are talking $62K worth of American Cool versus $125K worth of German Smooth... :shocked: Am I gonna mess up again??? am I capable of taking this fool???

I yell to him... "let's ROLL off the line, U got a 4-wheel advantage"

He nods and puts up 5 fingers.. meaning 5mph and hit it...

One of the Guys in his OOOOOLD F-250 Blows the HORN 2 times... and we roll... I just tap it enough to get the roll to 5mph as does he.. and then I jump on it as does this guy... I hear the WHINE of his turbos kickin under the GRRRRROWL of my LS3... CHIRRRRP... 2nd gear..... Chiiirp.. 3rd... I'm in 4th doing about 80... 90... with enough of an edge that my window rear is far enuf ahead that I have his nose behind it...

We clear the guy we sent ahead who is at the next light right before the Royal Farms...

We pull in, and ROB says... "U got me this time... Good race"... and shakes my hand... one of the guys runs over all silly and shyt and says "U smoked his ass Son... Damm... U should a heard the shyt he said about U last time... "

I laughed... :grin: relieved... and heart pounding, and said "Jeezus.. that was fun... Drinks on me Happy Hour at the Turtle or Ruby Tuesday Friday night...."

Rob says... "It's on Dude... Winner always buys...

My other Vettes

Disclaimer: Once again... the so called STREET RACE may or may not be true.. I could have been dreaming, and there is absolutely no way to prove that it was me, or any of my boys making these runs...

Last edited by Cmicasa the Great XvX; 02-07-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
paphialex

Drives: 2010 1LT Blk/Blk on 19" w/ Sunroof
damn that's a sweet ride.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphialex View Post
damn that's a sweet ride.

Thanx guy... Much appreciated
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Great post, really enjoyed reading that. Nice series of vettes you've had the pleasure of owning!

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Great post, really enjoyed reading that. Nice series of vettes you've had the pleasure of owning!

Thanx... and I started out with Camaros...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
LittleRockCGM

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM/IOM 2SS/RS
You have a beautiful car! This is an awesome post! It is as if I had written it myself. I also have a long standing love affair with the corvette.

My rides:
Current:

Past:
2005 C6

1990 C4 Vert

72 454 Vert (Really sorry I sold this one)

2001 "Custom" Z06

Restored 82 Collector's Edition
3300 11/11/09 - Order Scheduled for Production (TPW 11/23/09)
3400 11/17/09 - Order Broadcast
3800 11/23/09 - Build Complete (VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9170886)
4000 11/26/09 - Ready to Ship
4200 11/30/09 - Shipped (ETTX854262)
5000 12/11/09 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 12/12/09 - Delivered to Customer (It's Mine!)

Last edited by LittleRockCGM; 02-07-2010 at 10:19 AM.
LittleRockCGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Nice looking Vette's!!! I will have a Vette to keep my Camaro company someday.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRockCGM View Post
You have a beautiful car! This is an awesome post! It is as if I had written it myself. I also have a long standing love affair with the corvette.

My rides:
Current:

Past:
2005 C6

1990 C4 Vert

72 454 Vert (Really sorry I sold this one)

2001 "Custom" Z06

Restored 82 Collector's Edition

As a Vette lover I have to say that your collection is effing SWEEEEEEEET.

I love the 72 Vert, and the Z06 is magnificent.

Quick Story...:

when I went to buy my first Vette, the 79 L82, I was actually going to buy a '71 Vert that the guy had as well... I got caught in traffic coming outta Baltimore to get to Bethesda, MD... causing me to show up about 1hr late. The guy was an OLD guy about 75 or so who was seemingly on his death bead. He was walking around with an oxygen tank U kno?

Anyway... I look over and a guy is wheeling out with a C3 Vette Convertible on his flat-bed truck...

So I say.. to the old guy.. "is that the 71 Vette U had in the "Trader?"

He replies.. " Yeah.. the guy offered me exactly wanted I asked.. and he was ON TIME. But I'll tell U what.. I got a '79 sitting over there... The paint is shit... the interior is a mess, needs a new exhaust, and I recommend U rebuild the engine."

I bought it.. restored it, and loved her from 1994-2002 when I sold her and my 1995 LT1 and bought my 1998 C5, which I then got rid of and got a 2000.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

OH.. also as a change to my current C6... I bought Michelin PS2s for it after experiencing them on various cars including my CTS-V. My RUN-FLATS have 8K on them and if U kno anyone looking for 4... let me kno.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
LittleRockCGM

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM/IOM 2SS/RS
That is a very cool story!
3300 11/11/09 - Order Scheduled for Production (TPW 11/23/09)
3400 11/17/09 - Order Broadcast
3800 11/23/09 - Build Complete (VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9170886)
4000 11/26/09 - Ready to Ship
4200 11/30/09 - Shipped (ETTX854262)
5000 12/11/09 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 12/12/09 - Delivered to Customer (It's Mine!)
LittleRockCGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Vladi
Russian maFFia

Drives: 09-SLK350
Location: Walnut Creek.CA, Turku Finland , St-Petersburg Russia
Nice cars guys ,i hope to join your small c6 club asap =)
Vladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
The C6 is an amazing car! I've loved Corvettes since I was a little kid and got to take a ride in my grandfather's 76 Vette. The first car I bought was an 83 Camaro. Plain Jane! But it was ten times better than the hand me downs I'd been driving for the first few years of having my license. I later traded it for an 89 Camaro RS with a 5 speed. It was my first car with t-tops. Summer couldn't come soon enough! Put a lot of miles on that car finishing college and traveling a lot for my first "real" job. In 1997, I got my first brand new car, a Pontiac Trans Am. Black. Six speed. Leather. The 89 went to my nephew.

In 2004, I bought my first non GM vehicle. But hey, GM doesn't make motorcycles, so I think everyone will forgive me. So I went Harley Davidson and a Softail Deuce.

Finally this year, it was time to return to GM. I looked hard at the new Camaro, and it is impressive! But in the end, the Z06 won out. Truly an amazing car!

Picking it up:

And a nice shot in the sun:

Who else wants to tell their story?
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
D2FORGED

Drives: C5 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRockCGM View Post

My rides:
Current:
Jetstream Blue - check

Clean Custom Wheels - check

lowered - check

Corvette Perfection - CHECK!!
D2FORGED is offline   Reply With Quote