Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
RacingSnoopy48

Drives: Nissan quest
LOJACK

Hey guys,
Ive been looking into better features for the car and ive been thinking about lojack. Does anyone on here have lojack? Does anyone have any storys on them? also did it lower your insurance cost? If so by how much?
Thanks for any info!
RacingSnoopy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Unless your Nissan Quest is on this list, save your money.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=434545
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
RacingSnoopy48

lol its not for my nissan quest, i'm waiting for the 2013 camaro pricing to come out before i order mine!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I have it. My insurance gives me a discount for it. I haven't had my car stolen, but I do know it works... The battery in the Lojack keyfob needed to be replaced. It wasn't 15 minutes before Lojack was calling me telling me the car had been moved.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Onstar does the same thing expect they can also remotely kill the engine on the would be thief.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
You would probably be better off with Onstar. I'm in law enforcement and we have recovered several Motorcycles with LoJack but I can't recall any cars. The thing about LoJack is that not all patrol units have the LoJack antennas in their units to pick up the signal so you're relying on the hopes that there's an officer available to track the signal. Now I've personally been involved with several Onstar stolen vehicle recoveries. The good thing about Onstar is that they call our dispatcher and the dispatcher relays the information to all on duty officers which makes it alot easier to track and recover the vehicle along with them being able to shut the engine off.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I have lojack. Once while my car was being worked on it was moved without the key. Within a minute or so I was notified my car was possibly being stolen. Not only was I surprised but the shop was too since I called them while they were still moving the car. The early earning feature definitely works.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
RacingSnoopy48

We have had a really back experiences with onstar on my grandparents buick. My grandma (91 years young! lol) way driving back home from the beauty salon when she got disoriented and was lost and went down an abandoned street and hit a guard rail. She called us telling us that she didnt know where she was that she had an accident. Onstar called the car like they were suppose and asked her if she was ok and she said she was fine so they didnt do anything. We called onstar trying to get them to tell us her location but they refused to tell us.Even though we had all the information necessary. All they kept on telling us was that she was fine she said which is great but she has no idea where she is! so we had to go searching for her, about 3 hours later we found her no thanks to onstar. Onstar wouldnt send anyone out since they said it hadnt been 24 hour since she had gone missing!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I went with LoJack....I cancelled ON-Star anyways...I've only heard good things about LO-jack...I think its well worth the peace of mind...
I was told even by my dealer, that all thieves have to do is cut some wires by the mirror and ON-star is worthless....All major law enforcement agencies around here use it...The early warning thing, they call up to five phone numbers if there is a problem...I think its awesome...I want my own car back, if its stolen...not just kiss it off and get another one...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Another advantage to Lojack is that it uses radio instead of satellite. If your stolen car is loaded into a container, Lojack will still work, Onstar won't. I kept both. Peace of mind is worth it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
Another advantage to Lojack is that it uses radio instead of satellite. If your stolen car is loaded into a container, Lojack will still work, Onstar won't. I kept both. Peace of mind is worth it.
I've heard that On-star has problems anyway in metro areas where the buildings can block the signal. And with On-star you gotta report it stolen only after you physically discover its gone, LoJack is practically instant, you can be anywhere and know its moved.

As far as insurance, there is a discount for an anti-theft device, but I don't think its any more for Lo-jack.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Onstar does the same thing expect they can also remotely kill the engine on the would be thief.
actually I don't think onstar turns a car off mid drive, because of liability issues with no power steering when the car is off.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

I have it on all three of our cars.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Lojack is a waste of money imo.

The equipment law enforcement agencies need in order to track vehicles, cost a crap ton so most agencies actually don't have the equipment. Only the big cities can afford to have it and even then probably less then half of the patrol cars have the equipment installed. What's the point in having it if you are in an area that doesn't have the equipment needed to track your car?

The number one reason I hear about people getting Lojack is because they hear how easy it is to disable Onstar. Well guess what, Lojack is just as easy if not easier to disable then Onstar and Lojack signal is even worse. I've got some friends are are repo men. If you can get a hold of a repo magazine you will find a little device that costs about $20 that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it completely disables Lojack. For Onstar, you can't simply just clip a wire at the rear view mirror or knock off the antenna (all this does is lower the signal strength but it still works).

Quote:
Actually your logic is flawed. If you car is put in a container neither will work. You can test this for yourself if you don't believe me simply using a box truck.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote