Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
have not seen it. most people on the ZL1 ditch the factory airbox so you can hear the blower and you pick up boost.

you pick up about 1psi of boost on the CAI kits and thats why the gains are so nice. I can't imigine the K&N filter doing this but I have not tried it either.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Save your money for a CAI

Buying a K&N filter and placing it in the stock air box will not give you any appreciable gain, how can it? Even if you could increase flow through the flat K&N filter you are still drawing air in from the stock air box which was designed to reduce air intake noise not increase airflow. The Roto-Fab and other CAI's have a larger opening for more air intake along with a free flowing filter. More air equals supercharger whine. The first mod I performed was an aftermarket CAI.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Buying a K&N filter and placing it in the stock air box will not give you any appreciable gain, how can it? Even if you could increase flow through the flat K&N filter you are still drawing air in from the stock air box which was designed to reduce air intake noise not increase airflow. The Roto-Fab and other CAI's have a larger opening for more air intake along with a free flowing filter. More air equals supercharger whine. The first mod I performed was an aftermarket CAI.
I'd have to respectfully say, that the only reason there is any sound of the S/C is because the unit is open at the top allowing for the sound to be heard. Sure you will hear it at a minimum, just that now you've opened a sealed door to the outside world.

The ideal creation (IMHO) would be for a true "CAI" system that would be sealed so no heat from the engine compartment can enter, and have airflow coming from a sizable intake area. The current box, if "altered" has the intake but not large enough for true outside to inside flow (lets call it "ram air"). The other would be to use the smooth elbow to keep that air flow constant into the throttle body/SC area. Allow some true cool air from the lower air dam area up and into the filter housing....

At best these things should all be called OAIs for Open Air Intake.

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
I did the stock box/KN filter and then later got the rotofab. the KN gave a very very very smell noise change and a tiny almost imperceptable power change on the butt dyno. the rotofab, however, made changes all over the powerband, and it had a huge sound change from the blower. tires spun easier at lower rpm, car pulled harder at mid rpm. only drawback is that with no tune, my on/off partial throttle at low speed is abrupt/bucky. heard it can be tuned out though.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #19
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the info all! Sounds like I know what my next upgrade is :-)
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #20
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
I'd have to respectfully say, that the only reason there is any sound of the S/C is because the unit is open at the top allowing for the sound to be heard. Sure you will hear it at a minimum, just that now you've opened a sealed door to the outside world.

The ideal creation (IMHO) would be for a true "CAI" system that would be sealed so no heat from the engine compartment can enter, and have airflow coming from a sizable intake area. The current box, if "altered" has the intake but not large enough for true outside to inside flow (lets call it "ram air"). The other would be to use the smooth elbow to keep that air flow constant into the throttle body/SC area. Allow some true cool air from the lower air dam area up and into the filter housing....

My CAI box is sealed at the top and I can hear the whine. So are Roto-Fabs with the hood closed. I'm with ZL1-V on this one.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #21
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
roto fab
Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post

Well then take gold and cover the whole box to help keep the heat out,which is the best way to do so....Cold outside air will come up through the fender well or through the lower front area,so its one half of each other....
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
evonschu

Ordered a rotofab last night. Look fwd to the switchover.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
Ordered a rotofab last night. Look fwd to the switchover.

Good choice your going to love the sound and performance. Your local gas station will be seeing more of you as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #25
evonschu

My question now is where is everyone tying the Catch Can tube in on the Rotofab CAI?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #26
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
My question now is where is everyone tying the Catch Can tube in on the Rotofab CAI?
The Roto-Fab kit comes with a "T". It screws into the intake tube. You then attach the catch can tube to one side of the "T".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #27
Drew P

I swapped just the filter (still on stock box) and picked up around 5rwhp. I later swapped for the CAI brand intake and picked up almost 30rwhp. Both of these gains were after mods in signature.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #28
evonschu

Wow. Put in rotofab tonight. Why didnt I do this sooner?? Everything posted above verified. Massive better throttle response and supercharger noise. I LOVE IT!!! Thx all. Even the Ltft and stft levels are better at near 0-1%. Rotofab ftw. Well engineered. Even came with T junction for catch can. No mention in instructions about this but immediately knew thats what it was for. Every step had color picture. Super easy straight fwd install.