Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!

In case you didn't see it.....

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...o-ar40091.html

I especially love this line....

"That Toyota recalled more cars in the United States than it sold last year and that the Tundra has been a complete bust is conveniently ignored in the effort to trash Detroit as stupid an arrogant."

Never been a Toyota fan, never will. I've never liked the Tundra and thought it was easily the ugliest pickup on the market, but never thought quality issues that cause recalls would be their problem....glad to see it.

All I can say is buy American...buy GM is even better, but at a minimum, buy American.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Wow I didn't realize Toyota was going down like that. That makes me sad in my pants.

Toyota was always my second favorite import to Nissan, but I haven't been involved with any new Toyotas (or had anyone close to me involved in them either) so have been ignorant on quality with them lately.

That's really too bad.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
1bad67camaro
SKREW SALEEN

Drives: 1967 CAMARO
thank god for gm !!!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't personally like to bash the foreign Companys. You all know I hate them, but I don't bring it up in every conversation, you know?

It really surprises me that Toyota - the legendary "resale value" - is having that many quality issues. True, they don't & can't make 'em like we do. But, Wow. It'll be ineresting to see if they actually drop back down to no. 2...I mean this news, and GM's turnaround... Interesting.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
You do realize that Toyota and Nissan are more domestic than Chevy and Ford, right?
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

........I'm not going to start that argument again.:p
Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
While I am no means anti-American made, Toyota products are reliable. Just like GM, they have long track records and its undeniable that they hold their value. That being said YES I own an 05 Tacoma, and it has yet to have any issues, it gets its maintenance just like my Dodge. The article posted is nothing more than brand bashing with a few minor slanted facts to back it up.

Finally, I understand brand loyalty. I do not understand brand bashing. Competition is good, if it means that GM has to produce a better product at a better price then fine. (oh and the whole economic argument is BS life isn't fair, business isn't fair)

PS. Yes the tundra is crap, and I hated thier advertising campaign for it. It took consumers lack of knowledge to boost its claims in performance and features.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

My post wasn't intended to be a "brand bashing" thing....I was more "brand bragging" if you will about GM taking back the #1 spot. I'm a GM fan, plain and simple.

I don't really bash other brands, because when it comes down to it, almost every brand makes a decent to good product.

It just always got me when people would say, I buy a Toyota because I can put 250,000 miles on it before it dies. You can do that with a Bimmer, a Volkswagen, a Ford, a Chevy, any brand, if you maintain it properly.

That was more of a problem with Toyota-ists rather than the company, but still....

I will say that I was suprised that quality issues are becoming a problem for Toyota. I don't like them myself, but they always seem to be in the top 2 or 3 for quality awards.

I still say buy American. And while Toyotas and Hondas are made here in the USA, that doesn't mean they are American. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are all foreign companies. BMW builds numerous vehicles here in the US, but no one ever claims they are a "US Company". GM builds cars (does anyone remember the F-bodies...lol) in Canada, but they aren't Canadian. Ford and GM both build cars in Mexico, but are they Mexican companies? Way too many examples to list all of them. It's pretty easy to decide. Where is corporate HQ? Not North American HQ or Europe HQ....Corporate.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

You know, it's been A LONG time since our last public "discussion" about this, guys. And I've had a lot of time to think about it.

I want EVERYBODY to know I like GM best, all the way, hands down, okay? Okay.

Frankly, GM is no longer an "American Company". It is an "American Based Company"...still means the same thing, pretty much, but there is a difference. GM is, and has been a global Company, Britain, Australia, India...and more. So saying that the Foriegn car companys need to leave the US (like I have, for so, so long.), is pretty much the epitomy of Hipocracy. Because GM is in other foriegn countrys much like Toyota is in ours.

So badging a car with a nationality, still applys. Depending on where the Company is originally from. It's the same as the nationality of humans. No matter where your "born", you still have roots to somewhere else, and that's what you are!

What I will say, is this: I don't care if GM is the #1 Global car company, because if toyota sells in China, too, then they've got us beat already. China (population) is HUGE. However, as long as GM is #1 in the US, Which I think it is safe to say is true, Then I'm happy.

I will also say, that I still think Toyota and Nissan, and the rest, need to back off a little. It's not fair that they're getting these rumored tax breaks to be here, and our own companys aren't.

Then, after saying that...The fact that GM is still "no. 2", and will remain at least that (what other competition for the top to they have?), is a reflection of how great they really are as a company...overcoming the tax breaks they don't get, and the China population factor - and still staying on top. Cause let's face it folks, "on top" is a figure of speech in this instance: GM and Toyota are virtually equals, we're talking hundreds, or thousands of cars difference that make Toyota "# 1"...they're both #1, but there can't be a tie in the books.

Toyota is a Good company, but honestly, and we all know it, GM is better. Toyota has the wind at it's back, and GM is swimming against the current, yet they are still tied.

To put it in Camaro terms. It's the equivilant to this: The Camaro isn't the best Car in the World, but it's still up there. What more can you ask for?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
You do realize that Toyota and Nissan are more domestic than Chevy and Ford, right?
Banging head on keyboard, Banging head on keyboard, Banging head on keyboard...

Seriously, stop posting when your “HIGH”.

Time to go back to research school Billy…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Not too sure about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
........I'm not going to start that argument again.:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Banging head on keyboard, Banging head on keyboard, Banging head on keyboard...

Seriously, stop posting when your “HIGH”.

Time to go back to research school Billy…
:eek: Uh oh.... *closes eyes*

Speaking of banging your head on a keyboard...Could this be described as how you feel???
Attached Images

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 AM   #12
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Speaking of banging your head on a keyboard...Could this be described as how you feel???

Yep, I can only imagine that’s how you’ve felt these past few days…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:07 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

Yep, I can only imagine that’s how you’ve felt these past few days…
Yep. So I went looking and stole these for use along w/ the other smilies....
Attached Images

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Tag, why is this the wrong forum? I put it in the off topic discussions forum. Should I have put this somewhere else?

Oh, and I didn't intend to start the whole "what's US made and what isn't" argument. Sorry.