Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
Exclamation Flaw: Brakes stop working!

A few days ago, I was stuck in traffic on a hill doing about 1 mile per hour (welcome to California). Like a sensible person I am, I decided to turn off my engine and coast downhill in neutral. Okay. I was driving like normal for about 5 minutes. And then all the sudden the brakes stop working sending me on a speedy course into the car in front of me! My quick reaction, I had to turn the engine back on to reengage the brakes. Whoa... close call. I decided to try it again to see if it would do this again (with the car in front of me about a whole car length in front now). And behold, it did it again! I have been driving for 24 years and owned 5 cars (non-GM) prior to this and none of my other cars ever disengaged brake while in neutral.

Last edited by IncrediblyX; 02-27-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: It is not a flaw.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyX View Post
A few days ago, I was stuck in traffic on a hill doing about 1 mile per hour (welcome to California). Like a sensible person I am, I decided to turn off my engine and coast downhill in neutral. Okay. I was driving like normal for about 5 minutes. And then all the sudden the brakes stop working sending me on a speedy course into the car in front of me! My quick reaction, I had to turn the engine back on to reengage the brakes. Whoa... close call. I decided to try it again to see if it would do this again (with the car in front of me about a whole car length in front now). And behold, it did it again! I have been driving for 24 years and owned 5 cars (non-GM) prior to this and none of my other cars ever disengaged brake while in neutral.
This is a HUGE design flaw and this needs to be fixed!!! This car has given me PTSD and now I freak out everytime I have to brake.
Maybe I am wrong here, but these are power brakes, with the power off I would not expect them to work. I know every car I had this was pretty much the same, when I would roll my car in the driveway with the car off the brakes really did not work well. I certainly would not do it down a hill.

Beside why are you coasting down a hill with your car off, that in itself cannot be safe.

Last edited by nyrfan; 02-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
That is normal. Any car with Power Brakes will have a hard time stopping without the engine running. No need to worry. These cars just require more vacuum to run the brakes. Drive on my friend, drive on.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
IncrediblyX

If the brake is pressed, it should remain on. Just like when you hit the power button on the radio... it turns on and the same with the brake lights. Seems like a simple fix. As far as steering... it stopped working too, but I wasn't really worried about that since I was moving so slowly.

Another thing I noticed was that, the brake pedal didn't go down all the way, it felt like there was a brick or something wedged underneath the brake pedal when it shut off.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Wasp

Drives: 2011 Camaro Victory Red 2SS/RS
Not only is this dangerous but also ignorant. Not sure what year model started the electric steering but you have power steering as well as power brakes. Without the engine running you won't have either.

Not only are you risking your life but you endangered others as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
If the brake is pressed, it should remain on. Just like when you hit the power button on the radio... it turns on and the same with the brake lights. Seems like a simple fix. As far as steering... it stopped working too, but I wasn't really worried about that since I was moving so slowly.
You are comparing a battery powered device to a device powered by engine power / vacuum. Not going to work that way.

Radio has an on/off switch, brakes to not for obvious reasons.

I can honestly say I am glad I don't live near you.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
All I have to say is WOW

There's a flaw alright, but not with the car
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
msp2887

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
This is a HUGE design flaw and this needs to be fixed!!! This car has given me PTSD and now I freak out everytime I have to brake.
What kind of sensible person turns off their engine while moving on a public road?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Mr.Jgunn65

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2/SS
Is this guy serious?!?!WTF.......
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Nvincent4708
1st State Camaro

Drives: 2014 1SS M6
It's not a flaw, it's how it was designed. It is designed to work with vacuum. You were putting yourself and everyone else at risk by attempting this.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
All I have to say is WOW
double >
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I hope you are kidding.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
IncrediblyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jgunn65 View Post
Is this guy serious?!?!WTF.......
Other cars I have owned didn't do this. That's why I did it.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:

Do you have a death wish or something?Worse yet, you might kill or injure someone else with your ignorance!!!
Why are you driving with the car turned off?
as others have eluded to, the brakes and steering are POWER, and require the car to be running to be 100% effective.

The camaro is a performance type car and require the system to be on to be functional to it's fullest potential for how it was designed.

definitely not a problem with your car,I am not sure what types of cars you have owned in the past but all my previous cars if the engine was off for whatever reason there was a significant drop in braking and steering ability.

Closed Thread