Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Cosmetic care for new paint job

Getting a dent and paint fixed on my bumper as we speak... jw what the time frame on cleaning a new paint job is? Washing, claying ,polish, wax etc..

Thanks
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Ask the shop doing the work. A lot depends on what paint they use, if they bake the parts or not, etc.

Generally its gonna be at least 30 days, I've heard upwards of 120 from some places... in the end they'll be the ones responsible for fixing it if theres a problem so go by their recommendation above anyone elses.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
tjk_art

Thanks Dyaln. He said 30 days, but was in a rush so I didn't get the chance to ask him what all that includes. Does that mean don't touch it for 30 days? Or are car washes excluded? I like to use those high pressure self service bays..
Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
No, you can wash it, clay it, even polish it if you want. Keep in mind though, claying and polishing will be wasted efforts until you can wax/seal it because any work you do will be undone rather easily without some protection on there.

As hard as it is I'd say just keep it clean by washing or wiping down with detail spray until the 30 days are up.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
chopper

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
Mine is in the shop as we speak some a hole hit the side of my car while it was parked they have to remove the body kit on the front bumper and repaint the whole front bumper and the side fender I was curious as well cause I always wash mine w the high pressure washer at the do it urself car bay would a high pressure sprayer hurt a new paint job
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
tjk_art

Washed mine with the self service bay about a week after I got it. They hand polished it and left white residue everywhere, it drove my crazy!!!! I had no problems power washing.

A little after a month I clayed, machine polished, sealed, and waxed.Check with your body shop though.. my dealer told me I only had to wait 30 days before waxing.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
chopper

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
No, you can wash it, clay it, even polish it if you want. Keep in mind though, claying and polishing will be wasted efforts until you can wax/seal it because any work you do will be undone rather easily without some protection on there.

As hard as it is I'd say just keep it clean by washing or wiping down with detail spray until the 30 days are up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
Washed mine with the self service bay about a week after I got it. They hand polished it and left white residue everywhere, it drove my crazy!!!! I had no problems power washing.

A little after a month I clayed, machine polished, sealed, and waxed.Check with your body shop though.. my dealer told me I only had to wait 30 days before waxing.

Are you referring to after u bought your car or did u have a custom paint job or repair? I know if it's a new car off the lot you can wash it and wax it immediately
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
tjk_art

I had to get my bumper replaced and painted.