Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
MT Sportsman skinnies at the track

Hey guys,

I would like to know your thoughts on the MT Sportsman 'skinnies' for a 17x4.5 rim. I like the idea that they are 28" tall and that they are a radial, but I've read a few things saying that the load rating might not be up to par for a supercharged Camaro? I'm trapping at around 124 right now and should be 126-127 in the spring. Just want to make sure that I'm buying the right skinnies. I'm not a huge fan of bias ply, and was wondering if anyone has these 28" tall MT's and have run them at the track with similar or higher speed.

Please advise. Thanks!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Hey guys,

I would like to know your thoughts on the MT Sportsman 'skinnies' for a 17x4.5 rim. I like the idea that they are 28" tall and that they are a radial, but I've read a few things saying that the load rating might not be up to par for a supercharged Camaro? I'm trapping at around 124 right now and should be 126-127 in the spring. Just want to make sure that I'm buying the right skinnies. I'm not a huge fan of bias ply, and was wondering if anyone has these 28" tall MT's and have run them at the track with similar or higher speed.

Please advise. Thanks!
The bias ply m&h front runners are great. There are no issues with them. I wouldn't have second thoughts especially since you have concerns about the rsdial skinny.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
white ZL1

Drives: none
I think a rep from M/T said that they should be fine at speeds above 130 as long as we're not talking about sustained high speeds?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by white ZL1 View Post
I think a rep from M/T said that they should be fine at speeds above 130 as long as we're not talking about sustained high speeds?
Yeah, I saw that too. I appreciate the reply. I'm not too concerned about the 130 mph since I would only be there for a very short time. I'm just wondering if the 'load rating' becomes dangerous at this speed? I want to be able to drive to the track which is about 50 miles away. If it rains, bias plys scare the crap out of me.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Yeah, I saw that too. I appreciate the reply. I'm not too concerned about the 130 mph since I would only be there for a very short time. I'm just wondering if the 'load rating' becomes dangerous at this speed? I want to be able to drive to the track which is about 50 miles away. If it rains, bias plys scare the crap out of me.
If you're driving to the track in the rain you have bigger issues than having bias front runners. Lol
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes fast ss View Post
If you're driving to the track in the rain you have bigger issues than having bias front runners. Lol
HA!! No doubt. I meant if I have to drive home in the rain. That actually happened last summer. Bias plys would not have been good on that drive home. We can't predict the weather ya know.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I daily drive the bias ply. No problems. If your worried about rain then the problem will be in whatever rear tires your running. Only complain I might have is that they're bouncy. Steep driveways, speed bumps and things like that either scrape the front bumper or long tubes headers scrape. I just had to learn to go SLOW in those situations
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
I daily drive the bias ply. No problems. If your worried about rain then the problem will be in whatever rear tires your running. Only complain I might have is that they're bouncy. Steep driveways, speed bumps and things like that either scrape the front bumper or long tubes headers scrape. I just had to learn to go SLOW in those situations
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Doesn't anyone run these new MT Sportsman skinnies? They were all the rage on this forum earlier in the year.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes fast ss View Post
I run the bias ply M&H skinnies with slicks, but I only drive Pumpkin about a mile or so from our shop to the track. No issues, but never in the rain.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I have the M/T Sportsman skinnies on my personal car. It's not supercharged, so I don't have that extra weight up front, and obviously I'm not trapping up at the numbers you are, but I have been to the track a few times with them, and they seem to work just fine on my car. No issues. I was advised to keep them aired up to about 50 psi because of the load rating, which I do. FWIW, I do think they handle the wet roads much better than the bias-ply M&H's that I used to have on my car. Can't say the same for the rear M&H drag radials, but that is to be expected.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I have the M/T Sportsman skinnies on my personal car. It's not supercharged, so I don't have that extra weight up front, and obviously I'm not trapping up at the numbers you are, but I have been to the track a few times with them, and they seem to work just fine on my car. No issues. I was advised to keep them aired up to about 50 psi because of the load rating, which I do. FWIW, I do think they handle the wet roads much better than the bias-ply M&H's that I used to have on my car. Can't say the same for the rear M&H drag radials, but that is to be expected.
Perfect, thanks man. I think I'm going to go with the MT Sportsman's. I'll just keep them aired up to 50-55 psi all of the time.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

I just received this reply from tech support at Mickey Thompson regarding these radial "skinnies"...

"At the track you are fine for both speed rating and weight as it is short distance ¼ mile max. You just don’t want to run those on the street."

I thought others were driving these on the street without issue? What am I missing.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
I have the Sportsman skinnies and while they are great at the track I hate them on the street! I guess if you just drive in a straight line but do you really want to go around corners with a 5" wide tire?
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I drive mine on the street like 98% of the time, haven't had an issue yet!!! No, they aren't going to handle or grip like a normal wider tire. But as long as you realize that your car is set up for drag racing (i.e. skinny/fatty), and don't try to attempt high speed cornering, they're fine. Now I wouldn't "daily drive" on them, but my car is not a daily driver....more of a weekend cruiser/racer.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote