Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Burping the coolant system?

First off, I don't run Dexcool. Only water + RMI-25 which was worked well for me over the years in my Grand National.

Prior to the Camaro, I had an SSR (LS-2) that had all sorts of coolant ports that could be opened to bleed off any air in the system.

I do not see these ports on the LS-3. There is something on the water jacket, but I don't think it has anything to do with bleeding the system.

Anyhow, I took out my thermostat completely today because I have these sudden temperature spikes if the car is moving too slowly. Both fans are certainly blowing and I still have the factory settings for the temperatures (but may have the fans programmed as the wrong type).

Even w/o the thermostat and 80+ degrees out, the car was right around 212 on the highway, and more like 225 at idle. I blew off some steam via the overflow hose. I did this a few times, and now it seems to be staying right around 200 (no A/C, no thermostat).

Any useful tips on getting ALL the air out of the coolant system?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by granatl View Post
First off, I don't run Dexcool. Only water + RMI-25 which was worked well for me over the years in my Grand National.

Prior to the Camaro, I had an SSR (LS-2) that had all sorts of coolant ports that could be opened to bleed off any air in the system.

I do not see these ports on the LS-3. There is something on the water jacket, but I don't think it has anything to do with bleeding the system.

Anyhow, I took out my thermostat completely today because I have these sudden temperature spikes if the car is moving too slowly. Both fans are certainly blowing and I still have the factory settings for the temperatures (but may have the fans programmed as the wrong type).

Even w/o the thermostat and 80+ degrees out, the car was right around 212 on the highway, and more like 225 at idle. I blew off some steam via the overflow hose. I did this a few times, and now it seems to be staying right around 200 (no A/C, no thermostat).

Any useful tips on getting ALL the air out of the coolant system?
This is good because it Proves what we already know, Thermostats do not control operating Temps.

The Thermostat only sets the Lowest Temp the engine will run.

The Radiator and Fan Settings are what control the High number.

A custom tune turns the fans on at a lower temp to control the operating temperature.

I don't believe you can run this engine without a thermostat as it controls the flow through different passages.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote