Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
75 & 80 times

I'm curious, how many people have run their STOCK Camaros at 75 & 80, and what were your times like? I'm specifically interested in anyone w/the M6.

I'm starting to get a little irritated - I've made a gazillion passes and no matter what I do I get a 60' of 2.3-2.4. My only runs that dipped into the mid-13's I was able to run 2.2's, but every one of them required me to fry the crap out of my clutch. I'm not new to this, just new to this car, but some comments from people at this track have made me wonder if I should hit Budds Creek to see about those low 13's the mags got. I'm sure that destroying my clutch shouldn't be required to get low 13's. I'm trying to find out if it is me or the track- I can accept either verdict.

I've stopped running the full quarter and am coasting after the 1/8, since I think I should be going close to 9.0 and instead I'm constantly at 9.3/4. Besides, it saves some wear on the car plus sitting in a car with a helmet and sweating my a** off to go 14-something does nothing for my mood. My runs show when I run an 8.9-9.1 1/8 I'm in the 13's. My 1/4 times are clustered in the 13.6-14.1 range. I was in the 13.9-14.2 range with my Stang, but that car was tweaked a bit (all-weathers tho), and the Camaro is getting no tweaks until the warranty is up.
vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
vernal

Really? Nobody?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
getarz4u15ster

Drives: Camaro RJT 2SS/RS
I don't know... .But I can tell ya next weekend when we all run the zoo crooz up there! =O)
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
DT Headers, JBA H/F Catted mid pipes
Magna Flow Comp series exhaust w/ Xpipe
Comp Custom grind Cam
Tune and Machine work done by MPC
CAI Intake
getarz4u15ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
I think you should be better than 9.0 in the 1/8th.

@ Pittsburgh Raceway park-- my fairly stock 02 Trans Am WS6 was 8.9-9.0 consistantly and that is with a crappy 2.1+ 60'. Which resulted in a 13.66 1/4 mile

You should be 8.7 or better in the 1/8th I am thinking.

Good luck man.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
vernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by getarz4u15ster View Post
I don't know... .But I can tell ya next weekend when we all run the zoo crooz up there! =O)
Thanks for the tip about the zoo crooz! Frankly, I thought the name sounded dumb so I didn't even read the thread, I sort of thought it meant puttering around DC. Now I have to try to rearrange some stuff to see if I can make it!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
getarz4u15ster

No Problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernal View Post
Thanks for the tip about the zoo crooz! Frankly, I thought the name sounded dumb so I didn't even read the thread, I sort of thought it meant puttering around DC. Now I have to try to rearrange some stuff to see if I can make it!

No problem, thought you might wanna come and hang out meet some of the other C5 people around.

I will soon be moving right next to 75-80 in New Market. If the track doesn't hook up, like I've heard from other people in the past, I'm thinking some Nitto 555R's will do the trick! =O). Have you thought about buying a set of Drag Radials to put on your stock wheels, that should help you get a nice launch without burning up the clutch. A set of Nitto DR's 305-35-20's fit nicely on the stock SS rim. It's cheaper than buying a new clutch... =O)
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Dedlydragoness

Drives: 2010 Red\Black Camaro 1LT M6
Send a message via AIM to Dedlydragoness
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernal View Post
I'm curious, how many people have run their STOCK Camaros at 75 & 80, and what were your times like? I'm specifically interested in anyone w/the M6.

I'm starting to get a little irritated - I've made a gazillion passes and no matter what I do I get a 60' of 2.3-2.4. My only runs that dipped into the mid-13's I was able to run 2.2's, but every one of them required me to fry the crap out of my clutch. I'm not new to this, just new to this car, but some comments from people at this track have made me wonder if I should hit Budds Creek to see about those low 13's the mags got. I'm sure that destroying my clutch shouldn't be required to get low 13's. I'm trying to find out if it is me or the track- I can accept either verdict.

I've stopped running the full quarter and am coasting after the 1/8, since I think I should be going close to 9.0 and instead I'm constantly at 9.3/4. Besides, it saves some wear on the car plus sitting in a car with a helmet and sweating my a** off to go 14-something does nothing for my mood. My runs show when I run an 8.9-9.1 1/8 I'm in the 13's. My 1/4 times are clustered in the 13.6-14.1 range. I was in the 13.9-14.2 range with my Stang, but that car was tweaked a bit (all-weathers tho), and the Camaro is getting no tweaks until the warranty is up.
I guess my question would be, what RPM are you launching at and do you have traction? From my experience with street tires, my 60 ft's were horrible but when on race tires, launching and maintaining a good 60 ft was not an issue. Like the other guy said you def need to invest in DR's of whatever brand. Since you have an SS, I would imagine with good traction you could get your times down to low 13's, high 12's with a 60 ft of the 1.80-1.90 range, no?

I have seen some pretty good runs at 75-80 and very fast cars putting some great times down. Budds Creek is a good track too. Maybe for our track time in October, we should all go to Budds Creek and see if you do better out there. I am a beginner M6 racer myself, but I have seen some mean runs from previous M6 owners, with minimal mods getting great 60 ft's and times in a 1\4 mile.

Do you ever go to Capital by chance, just curious since I go up there to hang on Fridays sometimes?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Dedlydragoness

Quote:
No problem, thought you might wanna come and hang out meet some of the other C5 people around.

I will soon be moving right next to 75-80 in New Market. If the track doesn't hook up, like I've heard from other people in the past, I'm thinking some Nitto 555R's will do the trick! =O). Have you thought about buying a set of Drag Radials to put on your stock wheels, that should help you get a nice launch without burning up the clutch. A set of Nitto DR's 305-35-20's fit nicely on the stock SS rim. It's cheaper than buying a new clutch... =O)
So you guys will be at the cruise? I was thinking about it, I really want to meet more C5 people in person.

Have you ever used MT's DR's before, I see those used the most and see really good results?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
getarz4u15ster

MT's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedlydragoness View Post
So you guys will be at the cruise? I was thinking about it, I really want to meet more C5 people in person.

Have you ever used MT's DR's before, I see those used the most and see really good results?
Hey I've seen them used.. I don't if they make a set for our the stock 20s.. but I'm not sure about that

Here's a link to my tuner (Dave) with is 1058hp 5th Gen @ Maryland Performance Center up in Frederick.. His car has MT's mounted on custom 18" forglines. Of course he needs it. =O)

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Dedlydragoness

Quote:
Hey I've seen them used.. I don't if they make a set for our the stock 20s.. but I'm not sure about that

Here's a link to my tuner (Dave) with is 1058hp 5th Gen @ Maryland Performance Center up in Frederick.. His car has MT's mounted on custom 18" forglines. Of course he needs it. =O)

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Yeah, I have heard of them before. 1058hp, that is mad crazy, I love it!!! I used to use them years ago on an A4 that I had, they are great, get them if you can. A place that sells them locally in Essex is Jim's Tires, he can tell you anything you want to know about the tires.

Why don't you get a set of wheels just for racing, so you don't destroy your stock ones?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
getarz4u15ster

I don't go to the track enough let alone drive it enough to actually justify buying a set of 18's and putting a set of race tires on it. I know I'm gonna say it.. A guy i work with has a set of Nitto 555R's size 305-40-18's on his mustang and the they look pretty sweet. I've heard really good things about this tire AND they DO make it in a 305-35-20 which is the largest you can go on a stock SS rim. Manufacture really doesn't want you to go over a 285 but they want to see the side wall even with the rim... WHATEVER. =o). Hope you guys can make it to the Zoo Crooz the turn out good last year, plus you get to meet some local people in your area!
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Dedlydragoness

Quote:
I don't go to the track enough let alone drive it enough to actually justify buying a set of 18's and putting a set of race tires on it. I know I'm gonna say it.. A guy i work with has a set of Nitto 555R's size 305-40-18's on his mustang and the they look pretty sweet. I've heard really good things about this tire AND they DO make it in a 305-35-20 which is the largest you can go on a stock SS rim. Manufacture really doesn't want you to go over a 285 but they want to see the side wall even with the rim... WHATEVER. =o). Hope you guys can make it to the Zoo Crooz the turn out good last year, plus you get to meet some local people in your area!
I hear ya on not getting the xtra rims. Oh I am not bashing the NITTO's at all, they are really nice looking tires, I had a set on my past daily.

Yeah the more I am thinking about it, I would like to come out to that. Does it get pretty filled up because I cant register until next week for it?$$$ I can make my 1st non-traction all over the track, amateur M6 pass, lol. Def want to meet some cool locals too!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
getarz4u15ster

haha I've not taken my Camaro to the Track once yet since i've bought it. I've Done all this work to it too..it's definitely not a garage queen... but then again i don't want to blow-up a 40K car at the moment especially now that the warranty is void because of the motor work that's been done.. guess you pay to play though.

You can pre register now, and you don't have to pay anything until you get to timonium. The pre register just secures your spot. link is below....

http://www.timoniumchevrolet.com/WebSiteSurvey
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I have a catback and cai and I ran a 13.0 with a 2.0 60ft. All I did was slip the clutch a little just to get it rolling and bang the gears. Ran out the back at 110mph in 3rd gear.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote