Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Actually, Clyde, we're simply 'splainin' the rationale, compiled over many-many months here. No need to flee, and your contributions and opinions are sought. It's just that, for some here, we've been 'round 'n 'round a time or twelve. We DON'T want a ZL1 (and we're very happy it was named as such!); we DO want something more than a 1SS/1LE; we recognize the elephant(s) in the room (BOSS and BOSS LS) and we expect/anticipate GM to come up with valid responses at BOSS-correct price points (low-$40s and upper-$40s) before the Gen-5's sunset.

Low-$40s = 1SS/1LE, pretty much as shown @ SEMA, only minus the "showcar" trimmings (leather 'n such). Offer it Base as a 1SS, and offer a 2SS-style upgrade to satify "those" folks...

Upper-$40s DOES afford (no pun) a legitimate opportunity for an LS7'd badge-worthy Gen-5 Camaro, to ably compete against ANY Dearborn-borne BOSS, as outlined above...

I do NOT expect a 1LE to be priced below a BOSS. GM simply doesn't NEED to. Same with the BOSS LS competitor. What's THE most outstanding track-able Camaro POSSIBLE for something between $45 and $50? And, if it fits the budget, WHY would we "settle" for less than the LS7?! If GM massages a 6.2L, it will still only be a 6.2. The LS7 will still equal/exceed the 6.2's "warrantiable" power and, left unmodified/unboosted, the LS7 will live a very l-o-n-g and charming life. And willingly tame the bucking broncos...

The problem with a "massaged" LS3? It doesn't exist in 60/100 (OE warranty), emissions-compliant, certified-'n-validated form...and that takes time and money that, apparently to this point, ain't happenin'... Every dollar $pent on an LS3 makes a buck closer to an LS7...

WIXOM: According to "sources", there is a bright-shiny future till summer-'13, at least. Plans beyond then are "incomplete"... If an LS7'd ZEE was intro'd, and demand for the car was "as anticipated", Wixom would be assured an even brighter-shinier future!

Stay tuned.
You know, I would agree a Z28 in the 40k range would be great. I think they would sell a lot of them. I have a ZL1 on order but man that thing is expensive. I'm not sure I will buy it when it comes in (still wrestling with that decision). My only thing with the Z28 is what engine? I love the LS7 but I see a few problems with it. First, GM is going DI and next gen LS is on the way. That means current LS models will go away. Second is capacity. I've personally been through the wixom facility. I do not think they could keep up with demand if the put the current LS7 in a Camaro. Great facility but it is hand build and relatively constrained.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
You know, I would agree a Z28 in the 40k range would be great. I think they would sell a lot of them. I have a ZL1 on order but man that thing is expensive. I'm not sure I will buy it when it comes in (still wrestling with that decision). My only thing with the Z28 is what engine? I love the LS7 but I see a few problems with it. First, GM is going DI and next gen LS is on the way. That means current LS models will go away. Second is capacity. I've personally been through the wixom facility. I do not think they could keep up with demand if the put the current LS7 in a Camaro. Great facility but it is hand build and relatively constrained.
I think I've heard that they are setup to build more than 10k engines a year there, and I think they're probably half that right now between the LS3, LS7, and LS9. So them cranking~5000 LS7's for the Z28 is feasible. Thats probably how many LS7's they were doing 5 years ago when the Z06 came out.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #31
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think I've heard that they are setup to build more than 10k engines a year there, and I think they're probably half that right now between the LS3, LS7, and LS9. So them cranking~5000 LS7's for the Z28 is feasible. Thats probably how many LS7's they were doing 5 years ago when the Z06 came out.
FBOD said "there's lots we've still not disclosed (on the ZL1) so stay tuned..." ---- 3 months ago.

Anybody know if they are holding any more relevant performance secrets??
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #32
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
You raise some interesting points, BC...

1) I wonder how Chev dealers are gonna feel when some of these ZL1s show up...and the "owner" DOESN'T? Those $5-10,000 deposits, some dealers were asking for, will suddenly make $en$e...

2) Wixom, and LS7 capacity, explained in post #837: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...149090&page=34 DG, having been a member in good standing throughout this ZEE discussion, has the numbers "in his pocket" as well.

3) For the reason you sight, above (ZL1 price), Z/28s with LS7s priced in the mid-$40s could keep Wixom going...all by itself! And, like the BOSS is to the Shelby GT500 in certain cases, not much "sacrifice" would be required to purchase a ZEE vs. a ZL1...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 12-24-2011 at 12:53 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #33
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

1) I wonder how Chev dealers are gonna feel when some of these ZL1s show up...and the "owner" DOESN'T? Those $5-10,000 deposits, some dealers were asking for, will suddenly make $en$e...

2) Wixom, and LS7 capacity, explained in post #837: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...149090&page=34 DG, having been a member in good standing throughout this ZEE discussion, has the numbers "in his pocket" as well.

3) For the reason you sight, above (ZL1 price), Z/28s with LS7s priced in the mid-$40s could keep Wixom going...all by itself! And, like the BOSS is to the Shelby GT500 in certain cases, not much "sacrifice" would be required to purchase a ZEE vs. a ZL1...
All valid points IMHO Lowdown. It's a big ticket speciality item, the dealers will have the opportunity to see what the market bears, but, if they don't get big fish, selling them at MSRP won't be a problem. Not many around will one be able to find anyway. It's a non advertised limited edition...there will be low numbers produced so even those wanting to order will be hard pressed throughout the cycle to get one. There's a number in mind we won't be privy to in my opnion. It all will be factored in. Now, many more $45K range Z-28's, that will appeal to a broader, wider market, will be easier and less restrictive to move. It can carry over into 6th gen, why not...put to good use the outgoing LS familiy and use the LS7 in '13 Z-28. Shoot, '70-'74 Z-28's used the identical SPHP 350 in both Corvette and Camaro Z-28. That's where we should be returning to, sharing the big dog with both families!.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #34
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if the 10K number is "all in" meaning dry LS3, LS7, LS9. How many Z28's would they sell? I think it could easily be a number that required a mass produced powertrain but I could be off base.

As for Wixom, it will be interesring to see what happens. Everything they make today is likely going away in the next 3 years. It is a cool facility that shows how entrepreneurial a big company and its union can be. Outstanding facility staffed by really good people. Very small operation.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #35
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Again, in its "hay day", circa '07, about 10,000 LS7s were built...Z06 + GMPP crate engines. '11 was predicted, mid-August, to total less than 5,000 for all three versions...

Could Camaro sell 5,000+ mid-$40s LS7'd ZEEs, even in "this" market? I believe it would...as a MINIMUM...which would easily return Wixom to "capacity", and probably take up virtually ALL the slack, there, as the dry LS3 and LS9, like the C6 Vette, ride off into the sunset...

You have obviously been taken in by the mass hysteria for the all-conquering ZL1...at now $54Gs+...along with literally 100s if not 1,000s of others. And, by your own admission, at this price you're having 2nd thoughts. AND you're NOT alone...

You, and most of the other "head-scratchers", are NOW potential ZEE buyers...if, as Drew Carey now sez, "The Price Is Right"...
Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #36
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Again, in its "hay day", circa '07, about 10,000 LS7s were built...Z06 + GMPP crate engines. '11 was predicted, mid-August, to total less than 5,000 for all three versions...

Could Camaro sell 5,000+ mid-$40s LS7'd ZEEs, even in "this" market? I believe it would...as a MINIMUM...which would easily return Wixom to "capacity", and probably take up virtually ALL the slack, there, as the dry LS3 and LS9, like the C6 Vette, ride off into the sunset...

You have obviously been taken in by the mass hysteria for the all-conquering ZL1...at now $54Gs+...along with literally 100s if not 1,000s of others. And, by your own admission, at this price you're having 2nd thoughts. AND you're NOT alone...

You, and most of the other "head-scratchers", are NOW potential ZEE buyers...if, as Drew Carey now sez, "The Price Is Right"...
Come on down....!!!!!!! Indeed, 5K units at 45K range would be an easy to hit target, if not an impossible to miss production level. I personally see it going at least twice that point if Chevy brings to market the Z-28 you, 2ndChance, I and other propose the car should be. It's baseball, hot dog's, apple pie and Chevrolet!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #37
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If they get slammed, maybe Mercruiser Stillwater could take up the slack

LS7 is a $7,000.00+ premium over the LS3, just for the motor, not counting the added cost for the trans/diff needed for the extra horses. LS7 car would get into ZL1 price territory real quick.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #38
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Ummm Lowdown I believe your mathematical prowess is required.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
LS7 is a $7,000.00+ premium over the LS3, just for the motor, not counting the added cost for the trans/diff needed for the extra horses. LS7 car would get into ZL1 price territory real quick.
...if it had all the gold chain amenities absolutely unnecessary for the true-believing ZEE buyer...

If ya want bling, head to another model/forum section. Having said that (and I have many-many times), it does NOT mean that, to justify the broadest sales base NECESSARY, you can't have yer back-up camera and rearview mirror Gold Chain Holder...as an OPTION...

With deference (and NO direct connection) to Gene Simmons, KISS...Keep It Simple (stupid?) Satchmo...

Skip around the ZEE Section, do a wee bit o' readin', and the Business Case is present...and, like the car, BULLET-PROOF...and, most important of all, BUILDABLE...NOW!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #40
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yes it can be had in the mid $40's.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #41
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
...if it had all the gold chain amenities absolutely unnecessary for the true-believing ZEE buyer...

If ya want bling, head to another model/forum section. Having said that (and I have many-many times), it does NOT mean that, to justify the broadest sales base NECESSARY, you can't have yer back-up camera and rearview mirror Gold Chain Holder...as an OPTION...

With deference (and NO direct connection) to Gene Simmons, KISS...Keep It Simple (stupid?) Satchmo...

Skip around the ZEE Section, do a wee bit o' readin', and the Business Case is present...and, like the car, BULLET-PROOF...and, most important of all, BUILDABLE...NOW!!!

<...a kiss is just a kiss..."As time goes by" "Satchmo" Mr. Louis Armstrong.
And the time going by clock keeps on ticking for the Z...
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #42
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Quote:

I think in the near future the back-up camera's are going to be required on US vehicles.

Tags
announced soon