Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
Guessing it's you weak MAF. I just installed my intake today, and at part throttle there is a hesitation when you open it up. My MAF is weak also, for now.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
The weak MAF will become more of an issue once modifications are done that increase airflow. He has increased airflow with the CAI. The weak air meter cannot respond/keep up with the additional airflow. Thus the car probably is not adding enough fuel or its slow to do so since the weak MAF is not catching this additional aiflow..this will result in sluggish throttle response, and overall less responsive feeling. The additional airflow these mods create will only improve throttle response and power if the PCM can detect this additional flow so it can change other parameters to match the airflow. If it cant detect this airflow due too a weak/dirty/failing MAF then you are SOL my friend
You may be right, thanks for that bit of information.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
LBV

Drives: G8 GXP manual
Often times airflow-increase mods will move your power band higher, meaning it'll feel a bit slower at low rpms but faster at higher rpms.

Zeta platform, LS3,TR6060 tranny ... ya, it's a 4-dr Camaro!

Borla cat-back, H&R springs, & Sprintbooster & I love it!
LBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
I've got a 2010 LS3/M6 and I put that same intake on it and it picked up. I did check and I've got the "strong MAF", so maybe that's it. There was a noticeable gain with the intake and couple of weeks later I added a scoop and there was a small gain. A few weeks after that I put on long tubes and got another noticeable gain. Then I had it dyno tuned and it came alive! I picked up just over 50 hp total. I highly recommend these mods. It's like a whole different car!
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Cause you should of gotten a vararam. SuperchargedSS is blown with 750+hp on a "weak" mafs iirc.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.

Last edited by litle88; 09-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
It's both the weak MAF and the fuse pull. Put in strong MAF, then do a fuse pull. You should be good.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #21
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Intake power increase/"feel" is one of the most overstated mods there are lol nothing wrong with your car it's just a case of hype vs real world and people not wanting to admit that they spent half a grand on a mod that didn't do jack except get them higher dyno numbers. At least you can say you bought the "best" intake though :-) and the induction sound is amazing 👍
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #22
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
1. You may need a fuse pull
2. You may need a "Strong MAF"
3. Did you disconnect the negative on the battery before the CAI install like the instructions say?
4. Check over all your CAI connections and make sure they are good.
5. Now that you can actually hear the CAI sucking in air, sometimes hearing the air entering the CAI before it is then combusted is why it feels like there may be a hesitation. You are simply hearing the CAI pulling air which with your stock intake you could not here, therefore giving you the perception of hesitation.

It sounds like 1, 2 & possibly 3 could be the culprit. The large majority of people who install our CAI notice and can "feel" the performance gain, so if not there is probably a reason, most likely something I mentioned above. Hope that helps.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
3. Did you disconnect the negative on the battery before the CAI install like the instructions say?
I think that's meant more as safety precaution then anything else, just don't have the key in the ignition when doing this type of install. JMO
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'm really curious if OP will find a "solution" to his "problem" 😐
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
I think that's meant more as safety precaution then anything else, just don't have the key in the ignition when doing this type of install. JMO
It is a safety factor yes, but there has also been many cases where the cars computer takes more time to adjust to the new fuel trims due to the CAI, and therefore give you the performance increase. So rather than seeing the difference at once after installation, you get it gradually over time while the car is adjusting to the new intake, which would barely be noticeable. That's one of the main reasons for disconnecting the negative during installation. Hope that helps.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
It is a safety factor yes, but there has also been many cases where the cars computer takes more time to adjust to the new fuel trims due to the CAI, and therefore give you the performance increase. So rather than seeing the difference at once after installation, you get it gradually over time while the car is adjusting to the new intake, which would barely be noticeable. That's one of the main reasons for disconnecting the negative during installation. Hope that helps.
Right, forces the computer to learn the new effects of the intake instantly.