Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #29
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
Perfect idea! didn't think about that! but I have to worry about getting air in the system like I do with the brake fluid?

Do not run the car and turn the wheel while emptying it and it will be fine.

Just refill it before going on your drive.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #30
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
-Motor oil
-Trans oil
-Rear oli
-Brake fluid
-Steering fluid
-Coolant fluid
just out of curiosity what are y'all recommend for DOT 4 brake fluid? my car is just like a cruiser or something lots of horsepower but I don't really track it or race or anything like that just something to have fun with. I was looking at what everybody uses but it's like Castrol or something and it's like $80 and I don't need that much protection lol. Thanks

nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #31
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
For just basic street driving, any Dot 4 will work, even store brand.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #32
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
For just basic street driving, any Dot 4 will work, even store brand.
thank you very much I figured as such but I wanted to just kind of double check. Thanks 👍

Old 06-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #33
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Stay away from DOT5. It’s silicone and not for our brake system.

I suppose if the whole brake system is completely brand new and never had DOT3 or 4, technically you could run DOT5.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #34
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Stay away from DOT5. It’s silicone and not for our brake system.

I suppose if the whole brake system is completely brand new and never had DOT3 or 4, technically you could run DOT5.
sounds good I'll just go ahead and stay with or I should say go with Dot 4

Old 06-04-2022, 11:59 PM   #35
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Late to this thread.
If you haven't cleaned the dust already, as someone else mentioned, damp towels are fine.
The leather isn't bare leather like what is on a baseball glove, it has a coating, so you really don't need to worry about scratching it unless you use something abrasive.

If it has stains on the coating, diluted APC (All Purpose Cleaner) will remove all that are superficial. If they've imbedded in the coating, Carpro Inside will usually remove them if they aren't more than 25% or so imbedded.

I haven't tried many different things on the leather seats for protection, but my favorite is Ultima Interior Guard Plus. It's basically an interior sealant you can use on all leather, vinyl, plastic, and wood trim surfaces. Lasts for months.

I do also like Adams Interior Detailer on top of it, as it has anti-static properties, along with additional UV protection.

The price you were given sounds good for paint correction and coating.
The thing you need to find out is what level of correction you are getting.
75%? 85% 90%?

Does your car have swirls or water spots, and is actually in need of paint correction?
Being that it's been in storage, and still relatively new, it's possible that it doesn't.

Though many cars have the DISO or dealer installed swirl option.

Here's how to find out.

Ceramic coatings are great, they are the longest lasting protection product you can put on your car's paint, and also make the car much easier to clean.
Whatever ceramic product you go with, I can't recommend enough that you do occasional washes with Carpro Reset, which will restore the coating back to it's original state.

I'm curious as to how you plan to use the car? Will it be a garage queen, or a daily driver?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-05-2022 at 12:18 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:13 AM   #36
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Late to this thread.
If you haven't cleaned the dust already, as someone else mentioned, damp towels are fine.
The leather isn't bare leather like what is on a baseball glove, it has a coating, so you really don't need to worry about scratching it unless you use something abrasive.

If it has stains on the coating, diluted APC (All Purpose Cleaner) will remove all that are superficial. If they've imbedded in the coating, Carpro Inside will usually remove them if they aren't more than 25% or so imbedded.

I haven't tried many different things on the leather seats for protection, but my favorite is Ultima Interior Guard Plus. It's basically an interior sealant you can use on all leather, vinyl, plastic, and wood trim surfaces. Lasts for months.

I do also like Adams Interior Detailer on top of it, as it has anti-static properties, along with additional UV protection.

The price you were given sounds good for paint correction and coating.
The thing you need to find out is what level of correction you are getting.
75%? 85% 90%?

Does your car have swirls or water spots, and is actually in need of paint correction?
Being that it's been in storage, and still relatively new, it's possible that it doesn't.

Though many cars have the DISO or dealer installed swirl option.

Here's how to find out.

Ceramic coatings are great, they are the longest lasting protection product you can put on your car's paint, and also make the car much easier to clean.
Whatever ceramic product you go with, I can't recommend enough that you do occasional washes with Carpro Reset, which will restore the coating back to it's original state.

I'm curious as to how you plan to use the car? Will it be a garage queen, or a daily driver?

Thank you! Amazing information. I actually just got all my Adams car stuff yesterday so today (Sunday) I am going to start cleaning the inside.

Honestly she will be a garage queen, weekend cruiser type deal.

I will be checking out that video tomorrow well today in later lol 3AM here I am not sure how bad the paint is. Its always been under a car cover and has only seen briefly rain once.

As far as the place I am thinking about taking the car they will do 80-90% it says with 7 year warranty.

I appreciate the time you took to respond. Any other tips or ideas I am always up for suggestions.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #37
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
sounds good I'll just go ahead and stay with or I should say go with Dot 4
DOT 3 and 4 mix fine, adding 4 will give a little more protection against heat.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:02 AM   #38
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
DOT 3 and 4 mix fine, adding 4 will give a little more protection against heat.
Perfect! getting it all flushed out on Tuesday all the fluids! thanks again

Old 06-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #39
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Joe M always gives the best advice!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #40
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Thank you! Amazing information. I actually just got all my Adams car stuff yesterday so today (Sunday) I am going to start cleaning the inside.

Honestly she will be a garage queen, weekend cruiser type deal.

I will be checking out that video tomorrow well today in later lol 3AM here I am not sure how bad the paint is. Its always been under a car cover and has only seen briefly rain once.

As far as the place I am thinking about taking the car they will do 80-90% it says with 7 year warranty.

I appreciate the time you took to respond. Any other tips or ideas I am always up for suggestions.
That's what I was thinking. 80% or so.

That's why I got out of detailing for money, I got less than what they charge, and I did a 3 step polish leaving only the RIDS (random isolated deeper scratches), rounding the edges of any rids that were highly visible with 3000 wet sanding.

Some cars only had 1 or 2 RIDS, some had a dozen.

If you're happy with 80% for that price, then do it.

I wouldn't do it, but that's because I wouldn't be happy with 80%, but that's just my opinion, yours may be different, and that's OK.

Once you've got the exterior paint in the condition you like, the main issue all garage queens have is dust.
I have done many garage queens, I send all of them to this video to maintain the finish.

Now some of the people who haven't used this product PROPERLY, are going to chime in, claiming it will scratch the clearcoat.
And it will. "IF" you use it improperly.

If you use it properly, it will make dust removal easy, quick, and safe.

The Ultima waterless wash plus concentrate is the best deal for waterless, wash/detail spray on the market.
Around $20-$25 depending are where you get it makes 5.5 gallons of detail spray, and will last you for years and years if you're only doing your own car.

I do like the Adams Detail Spray, and Waterless Wash, they work good, smell great, but they also cost way more than UWW+C.

Be sure to post some pictures of the car after you get it completed.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #41
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Joe M always gives the best advice!
Thanks, but I have to be 100% honest.

There are only a few things I've learned on my own about detailing.
I was fortunate to have help from many professional detailers who provided me with good advice.

So I want to share it with others, so they can benefit from it as well.

There are a lot of dishonest people in this business that want to take advantage of people just to make a dollar. I'm not a fan of those people!

Old 06-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #42
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
That's what I was thinking. 80% or so.

That's why I got out of detailing for money, I got less than what they charge, and I did a 3 step polish leaving only the RIDS (random isolated deeper scratches), rounding the edges of any rids that were highly visible with 3000 wet sanding.

Some cars only had 1 or 2 RIDS, some had a dozen.

If you're happy with 80% for that price, then do it.

I wouldn't do it, but that's because I wouldn't be happy with 80%, but that's just my opinion, yours may be different, and that's OK.

Once you've got the exterior paint in the condition you like, the main issue all garage queens have is dust.
I have done many garage queens, I send all of them to this video to maintain the finish.

Now some of the people who haven't used this product PROPERLY, are going to chime in, claiming it will scratch the clearcoat.
And it will. "IF" you use it improperly.

If you use it properly, it will make dust removal easy, quick, and safe.

The Ultima waterless wash plus concentrate is the best deal for waterless, wash/detail spray on the market.
Around $20-$25 depending are where you get it makes 5.5 gallons of detail spray, and will last you for years and years if you're only doing your own car.

I do like the Adams Detail Spray, and Waterless Wash, they work good, smell great, but they also cost way more than UWW+C.

Be sure to post some pictures of the car after you get it completed.
If you dont mind, what do they mean by 80-90% of? So I finally today cleaned the inside of the car out and damn it looks great.... As I was walking around the car since I have installed LEDs and had LED work light stands on as well I noticed things I hadnt before at certain angles in this certain light color. I only really notice a bunch of what I guess I would call maybe surface scratches?

They dont really swirl or anything from just the areas I noticed it was more just like really light scratches.

Btw I loved both videos and think its kinda funny I watched the first once about light and looking at your car after I accidently figured out not to look head one but at an angle.

I do keep my car covered with a inside car cover made for the camaro and so dust isnt a HUGE problem but yes I know stuff still gets up under the cover from below. I just want to thank you so much for your insight as I have ALWAYS taken extremely amazing care of my cars and trucks but will be the first to say never have I ever waxed or anything lol.... everything has always been clean and never knew about all this other stuff until I got my camaro and it is so overwhelming lol....