Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #43
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
If you dont mind, what do they mean by 80-90% of? So I finally today cleaned the inside of the car out and damn it looks great.... As I was walking around the car since I have installed LEDs and had LED work light stands on as well I noticed things I hadnt before at certain angles in this certain light color. I only really notice a bunch of what I guess I would call maybe surface scratches?

They dont really swirl or anything from just the areas I noticed it was more just like really light scratches.

Btw I loved both videos and think its kinda funny I watched the first once about light and looking at your car after I accidently figured out not to look head one but at an angle.

I do keep my car covered with a inside car cover made for the camaro and so dust isnt a HUGE problem but yes I know stuff still gets up under the cover from below. I just want to thank you so much for your insight as I have ALWAYS taken extremely amazing care of my cars and trucks but will be the first to say never have I ever waxed or anything lol.... everything has always been clean and never knew about all this other stuff until I got my camaro and it is so overwhelming lol....
That is the percentage of defect removal guaranteed. 80-90% can be done with a 1 step polish if the paint isn't too bad.

It only takes around 4 hours to do the whole car, and while it looks "better", a 2 step with a compound and polish will look "even better".

Add a final jeweling step to the process and you'll have the car looking it's best, where the only paint defect will be RIDS.

This is the only way I'll do a car, or I should say used to do. It's time consuming, can take 12-20 hours depending on how much damage exists, and if the paint is finicky (soft).

My acceptable level is 95% correction, which means the only defects left are RIDS and Orange Peel.
The only way to get it perfect is to sand, or use denim pads to level the clearcoat down to remove the RIDS/orange peel, and that is a bad idea because thinning it out that much will cause clearcoat failure eventually.

It would be hard to tell what the imperfections you noticed are without seeing a picture, so I really can't do anything but conjecture, and I'd rather not do that.

Another thing you can do that won't cost anything, to see what defects are present, is to take the car out in the sunlight and inspect the paint.

The sun always tells the truth when it comes to paint.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:18 AM   #44
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
All right y'all all fluids have been changed. Inside has been cleaned and detailed.

Now..... moving on to the engine bay area. I know many will say no power washing under the hood but it needs a light hit with the pressure wash BUT.... My question is, Do I spray down entire engine bay with the all purpose cleaner then hit it with washer? Do I need to delute all purpose cleaner?

Should I think finish it of with detail spray or..... I seen someone take VRT into a squirt bottle and delute it and finsh that way.

Thanks

nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:27 AM   #45
nebchevy

Well.... was gonna post some pics but guess the for needs little pics witg little sizes. So I will do some resize on the computer tomorrow!

Old 06-17-2022, 06:44 AM   #46
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would spray cleaner over pretty much everything but the ECM/fuse and rinse with low pressure water. Try and cover the fuse and ECM with a plastic bag.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #47
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
plastic bag.
For the altenator as well.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #48
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I would spray cleaner over pretty much everything but the ECM/fuse and rinse with low pressure water. Try and cover the fuse and ECM with a plastic bag.
PERFECT idea, didn't think about that! Thank you!

Old 06-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #49
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
For the altenator as well.
Thanks! I love all yall you are just amazing as always! 👍