Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #1863
Alfred15

Drives: 2013 altima SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
For $15 more you could have gotten the complete remote. Lol. Just ordered it with free shipping for $22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exuse my ignorance, but if you get the full remote, how could you use it on your on your new car?

I will definitelly look into a new casing or the blank keys to fill the empty hole, but i'm wondering if i could use the whole fob.
Alfred15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #1864
Alfred15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebern View Post
Strangest thing happened to me. I signed the papers on an in stock Camaro last Thursday. Dealership told me I wouldn't be able to take it home because of the recall. (they didn't even know what it was for I had to tell them) I spent this week calling Chevy and the dealership only to find out that it will take weeks to months to finally get new keys.....I call yesterday and ask if any update and they say well your car is not on the recall list so come pick it up. I picked it up today and they gave me the car with the same switchblade keys! I have no idea what happened, maybe they recalled the recall......
Ok now that sounds frikin interesting!!! I thought all gen 5 camaros were on the recall list. It sounds like something worth checking into with my dealership. I'll tell them i would sign any waiver form or whatever to keep my keyblades (i test drove the car they still have with the keyblade), with the promise of not growing beyond my 6.2 and hitting the keys with my knees
Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #1865
Alfred15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271224743459

It's a pair of blank keys for $10 shipped and it comes from California. I just ordered a set, so I can put them in my FOBs whenever I do the recall.

Looks like the best deal so far. Only 10 bucks, same fob housing and no empty holes, that should work for me. Thanks for the link. Question, is it hard to open the fob without scratch or damage it? Im kind of clumsy to be honest.

Last edited by Alfred15; 06-27-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #1866
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred15 View Post
Looks like the best deal so far. Only 10 bucks, same fob housing and no empty holes, that should work for me. Thanks for the link. Question, is it hard to open the fob without scratch or damage it? Im kind of clumsy to be honest.

I don't think you need open the fob. When you open the key about 3/4 of the way, there is a little pin hole. I think you just push that pin out and the key comes out. Then insert the blank and put the pin back in.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #1867
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred15 View Post
Exuse my ignorance, but if you get the full remote, how could you use it on your on your new car?

I will definitelly look into a new casing or the blank keys to fill the empty hole, but i'm wondering if i could use the whole fob.

The full remote comes with a blank key. I know someone who can laser cut it and it takes 10 seconds to program it to the car.

The case will just replace you existing casing. Both my keys look brand new but at the time when I ordered it, it was assumed the recall would replace the entire fob. I figured id turn my used one in and get a new fob for the heck of it while still having two switch blade fobs.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #1868
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Link to OEM 5 Button Remote with blank. $23

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=310567036669

Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #1869
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
Update to the recall, they added this note:

Pages 2 and 3, June 2014 Bulletin No.: 14294A

Note: If a customer declines this recall repair, please make sure that he/she fully understands the possible consequences.
“There is a risk, under certain conditions, that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the “run” position. If this occurs, engine power, and power braking will be affected and power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the “run” position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.”
If the customer still refuses, provide the customer with a copy of the “Notice to Customer” document contained in this bulletin. Record “customer declined recall repair” on the repair order and, if possible, have the customer sign the repair order. Retain this repair order at the dealership.

And here is the copy of the notice:

REPRODUCE LOCALLY - PROVIDE TO CUSTOMERS WHO REFUSE RECALL REPAIR
Notice to Customer
General Motors released this safety recall in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act because a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle.
It was implemented to address the potential consequences of that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the “run” position. If this occurs, engine power and power braking will be affected and the power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the “run” position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.
Even though you have declined to have this safety recall performed on your vehicle, please be advised that if you change your mind, your GM dealer will always be available to complete recall 14294 in accordance to the recall notification letter.
As part of this declination process, your dealer will ask you to document your refusal to have Safety Recall 14294 performed on your vehicle by signing a Repair Order stating “customer declined recall repair”. You will be given a copy of this document for your records. Of course, your signature is voluntary but doing so will help prevent the mailing of recall reminder notices to you as the current owner of record.
If you sell this vehicle, you should advise the buyer that this safety recall was not performed on the vehicle and that the recall repair is still available. This notice should also be placed in the glove box so that a future owner of this vehicle will be aware of this safety recall.

They must be read the post's here...

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #1870
josh11293

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
Update to the recall, they added this note:

Pages 2 and 3, June 2014 Bulletin No.: 14294A

Note: If a customer declines this recall repair, please make sure that he/she fully understands the possible consequences.
“There is a risk, under certain conditions, that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the “run” position. If this occurs, engine power, and power braking will be affected and power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the “run” position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.”
If the customer still refuses, provide the customer with a copy of the “Notice to Customer” document contained in this bulletin. Record “customer declined recall repair” on the repair order and, if possible, have the customer sign the repair order. Retain this repair order at the dealership.

And here is the copy of the notice:

REPRODUCE LOCALLY - PROVIDE TO CUSTOMERS WHO REFUSE RECALL REPAIR
Notice to Customer
General Motors released this safety recall in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act because a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle.
It was implemented to address the potential consequences of that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the “run” position. If this occurs, engine power and power braking will be affected and the power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the “run” position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.
Even though you have declined to have this safety recall performed on your vehicle, please be advised that if you change your mind, your GM dealer will always be available to complete recall 14294 in accordance to the recall notification letter.
As part of this declination process, your dealer will ask you to document your refusal to have Safety Recall 14294 performed on your vehicle by signing a Repair Order stating “customer declined recall repair”. You will be given a copy of this document for your records. Of course, your signature is voluntary but doing so will help prevent the mailing of recall reminder notices to you as the current owner of record.
If you sell this vehicle, you should advise the buyer that this safety recall was not performed on the vehicle and that the recall repair is still available. This notice should also be placed in the glove box so that a future owner of this vehicle will be aware of this safety recall.

Paul
Hey when was this information sent out? If this is true im signing the waiver and getting my car today
josh11293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #1871
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post

Paul
You do realize who Camaro5 member "fbodfather" is . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #1872
Alfred15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Link to OEM 5 Button Remote with blank. $23

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=310567036669

Is it hard to find someone to laser cut the key? I live in Houston.
SO what you are saying is that i can buy the OEM remote, cut the key and program my remote to use it as my regular key/fob??

If that is posible i wont mind getting the ugly keys and using this as i see fit.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #1873
mister45th

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE Camaro (RS)
Im just wondering, what state are you guys in that have been able to pick up your cars? Im in the process of trading my 2013 1LE for the 2014 1LE and would like to know if i can move ahead with the process. Im in Georgia
mister45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #1874
Alfred15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister45th View Post
Im just wondering, what state are you guys in that have been able to pick up your cars? Im in the process of trading my 2013 1LE for the 2014 1LE and would like to know if i can move ahead with the process. Im in Georgia
i'm in Texas and my dealer says the parts are ready but they need to work on my car. I just called him and asked him not to cut the keys, so i can get the car without any more delays and with the regular keyblades he said he was going to look into this.
Reading in different posts, there are several people who after signing a waiver or something similar they got the original keys.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #1875
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
Do all Camaros have keyed locks....I read this and never even noticed if I actually have a place to insert the key on the door.? Can't wait to get home and check.

Yes..... Only on the driver side

Excuse typos!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #1876
Jonquez

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Dealership just called me. He said the service department got the memo yesterday from GM and they went ahead and ordered everything, Hopefully just a few more days.
Sad that I can't go see transformers 4 in my new camaro, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait.
BTW mister45th, I'm in georgia and that's from youman's chevrolet in Macon.
Jonquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall