Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Forza
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM
Second Major Mod - MRT v2 "MY THOUGHTS"

After months of research on these forums, reading through endless threads by you all, and the expertise reviews by @scrming (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50018) and @KMPrenger (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33104), I decided to spend $500 and have the MRT v2.0 installed on my V6.

The sales team was great via email over at mrt-direct.com. Jason from Sales was very patient with me, and to make a long story short, we setup an appointment to have them install my MRT's.

Although I live in Canada, I am close to the MRT facility in Michigan so I drove over this weekend. Sergio welcomed my wifey & myself when we got there, and offered to drop us off at the local Caribou Coffee shop while the car was being worked on.

About an hour later Sergio came to pick us up when my Camaro was ready. Along the way back I started talking about Camaro5 & @scrming(John). Sergio laughed and said @scrming was actually at the facility with his new Ford truck. I'm a geek, so I was pretty excited even though the wife thought I was a nerd! LOL

Like a kid in a candy shop I asked to see John & his truck. Being the nice guy John is, he came out to the floor shop, introduced himself, shook our hands, etc... I felt like I just met a SUPERSTAR! I mean because of him I pretty much made my mind up to install these MRT's. We talked for a bit and he gave me a tour of his cool pimped out truck. All chromed out with monster sized exhaust tips! WOW! Thanks John.

I had more fun meeting everyone than getting the MRT's installed. !!!

Review:
The first time I started the Camaro I was blown away! The best part for me is the cold start. That 20 seconds is heavenly! (FYI I also have a Roto-Fab CAI installed http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131632)

Driving was not that impressive at first. Honestly at first I was like "omg I made a mistake to buy these." It was louder than I thought they would be in cabin compared to the factory suitcases.

After a couple days driving though I am getting more use to it. I really LOVE the way it sounds "outside" the car, and I just LIKE the way it sounds "inside" the car. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my choice!

I'm hoping it grows on me some more, and I need to find a way to lower the drone coming from the trunk area. I feel some vibration under the seat while driving, not sure if that is common or not?

Overall the entire experience was awesome to say the least. MRT staff & owners have a great thing going. Keep up the fantastic work & service!

I'll post pics when the weather is sunny, its supposed to rain all week here.
Forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Hey Paul!

Great meeting you and the wife this weekend!

The exhaust will probably mellow out a bit as you put some more miles on the car.. the exhaust actually "seasons" a bit...

Drone is a very finicky thing... some have found it to be too much, while others say there is very little to none... Ask 20 people and you'll get 20 different answers kind of thing... LOL

There was a thread here some where some guys had done some pretty inventive things to help with drone...

Again, was nice meeting you! Always great to put a face with a screen name!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
AWESOME............another satisfied customer. Nice that you got to meet the POPE......John really is a GREAT guy. I have met him and have seen his truck.

The folks at MRT are GREAT too. They have come on board and are now a sponsor at the other thread for GEN 5. Camaro's.

They have an open house May 14th. Which is now written on my calender and I plan to attend.

As for the drone there is a little but certainly does not bother me. The vibration you feel is normal for this system but again is certainly something I don't notice anymore.

The system will only grow on you to the point you can't help but want to listen to the sounds it makes and turn the radio off when doing some spirited driving. I should know this is how it has been for me for nearly a year now.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
SolarFlare

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT
Very nice! So you'd recommend it?
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Forza
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarFlare View Post
Very nice! So you'd recommend it?
YES, I would recommend.

I am a very picky person and expect customer service for something I pay for. MRT delivers as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'm glad the exhaust sticky helped you and glad your happy with the MRT2. Everyone seems to love them! lol. Give them a bit more time and you'll like them even more I'm sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
riki3fan
Camaro Obsessed

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS Supercharged A6
Send a message via Yahoo to riki3fan
I just wanted to chime in on your thread and thank everyone for helping me make my decision. I've decided to buy the MRT v2 system as well. @scrming's videos were invaluable, as well as many others. I wanted a deeper, throatier sound, and I am hoping desperately that this system will give me that. My hubby is a mechanic, so he will easily handle the install. Colorado is pretty far from Michigan, I'm afraid. I can't wait to get this mod in! I'll be ordering some time this week, most likely. Thank you everyone for your helpful advice!

Mods done before I got her:
Vortech V3 Supercharger, full exhaust, high flow cats, LTH, trailing arms, tow rods and anti-sway bars, window tint, body kit - I've since added Drag Radials

Mods Up Next:
Linelock, upgraded air filter, heat shield

Dyno 601 RWHP

8/20/2019 - Purchased from fellow CCOTR member, who purchased from another CCOTR member in 2015

Gone to a new home: Nadia-2014 2SS/RS A6 IBM

Gone to a new home: Eva-2011 2LT/RS M6 IBM Supercharged!
riki3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Sturmer

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2010 V6 A6
Maybe you should remove factory resonators and install little longer resonators there.
Or remove H-pipe and add small resonated X-pipe.

Its all about testing and finding your own sound that you like best.
Sturmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I like them also and John's and Rtcat's were what I based my decision on. Thank's guys!
As to drone they should mellow a bit. After 400 miles the interior boom as I call it when driving around town at low rpm/speeds and light throttle has reduced some and I can hear more of whats going on "out back", so give it some time.
As to reducing drone I had on it a resonated x pipe already, but my old magnaflows didnt need the stock resonators after the headers reduced the drone alot, so of they came.Now with these mrt v2's I put them back on the same day, way to loud! Res x pipe killed down the drone and boom of the magnaflows but not sure how much aid it gives with mrtv2. adding the stockers back on helped alot with this setup. So rack up the miles first, then see if you need to change anything,but if you do the res x pipe should be enough.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
CliffjumperRS

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red
Forza - great to hear you're loving the system; we're a very happy and growing club. You have many many miles of enjoyment ahead of you. I'll admit, i am with you on my very first impressions. On the way home from having them installed, the thought "Oh my god, what have i done. I made it a yo-boy fart can machine." went through my mind. Rest assured, the sound will change. It will deepen and mellow. Much of the higher frequencies you are hearing right now will begin to mute. But the sound will certainly be there. It's been nearly 6 months since i had mine installed, and i still listen to it on every single cold start. I've come to drive with the tapshift all the time, just so i can control the pitch and volume of the exhaust. It's so bad ass. For me, it totally changed the driving experience. So, congrats, enjoy, and have fun! Put it in 2nd, gas it to 3500 RPM and let off the peddle, and enjoy the oh hell yeah...!
2010 1LT/RS GCN | Roto-Fab CAI | MRT V2.0 | Defenderworx: Chrome Shifter, Polished Door Kick Plates, Polished Door Sills, Black Side Vent Inserts, Chrome Bow Ties, Chrome Cup Holder Surround| GM: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Splash Guards, Wheel Mounted Audio Control, PDIM, 4 Gauge Cluster, Footwell & Cupholder Lighting, Switchblade Silver Interior Trim Kit, Premium Floor Mats| Oracle: Aqua Blue Dome & Trunk LED's, Bright White Plate LED's | RS Chrome Valve Stem Caps | Shined by Adam's & Meguiar's
CliffjumperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffjumperRS View Post
Forza - great to hear you're loving the system; we're a very happy and growing club. You have many many miles of enjoyment ahead of you. I'll admit, i am with you on my very first impressions. On the way home from having them installed, the thought "Oh my god, what have i done. I made it a yo-boy fart can machine." went through my mind. Rest assured, the sound will change. It will deepen and mellow. Much of the higher frequencies you are hearing right now will begin to mute. But the sound will certainly be there. It's been nearly 6 months since i had mine installed, and i still listen to it on every single cold start. I've come to drive with the tapshift all the time, just so i can control the pitch and volume of the exhaust. It's so bad ass. For me, it totally changed the driving experience. So, congrats, enjoy, and have fun! Put it in 2nd, gas it to 3500 RPM and let off the peddle, and enjoy the oh hell yeah...!

......................... .........That is my style everytime I turn into my sub-division and drive to my house.

Last edited by rtcat600man; 04-05-2011 at 08:29 AM.
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
Forza
Account Suspended

It might be in my head, but I like it more already. It could be because you guys explained how it "seasons" or "breaks in", which made me feel better about my decision. Or it could be because I am getting use to it.

Another strange thing is my coins in the center console vibrate & buzz. I keep $5 or so in change for coffee in the center console. So now the exhaust vibration make the coins buzz. That will never go away unfortunately, regardless of break-in.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
It might be in my head, but I like it more already. It could be because you guys explained how it "seasons" or "breaks in", which made me feel better about my decision. Or it could be because I am getting use to it.

Another strange thing is my coins in the center console vibrate & buzz. I keep $5 or so in change for coffee in the center console. So now the exhaust vibration make the coins buzz. That will never go away unfortunately, regardless of break-in.
and an empty energy drink can on top of the coins REALLY BUZZES! LOL!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
I like them also and John's and Rtcat's were what I based my decision on. Thank's guys!
As to drone they should mellow a bit. After 400 miles the interior boom as I call it when driving around town at low rpm/speeds and light throttle has reduced some and I can hear more of whats going on "out back", so give it some time.
As to reducing drone I had on it a resonated x pipe already, but my old magnaflows didnt need the stock resonators after the headers reduced the drone alot, so of they came.Now with these mrt v2's I put them back on the same day, way to loud! Res x pipe killed down the drone and boom of the magnaflows but not sure how much aid it gives with mrtv2. adding the stockers back on helped alot with this setup. So rack up the miles first, then see if you need to change anything,but if you do the res x pipe should be enough.
Your welcome.........glad to see your as HAPPY as I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post

I drop all my loose change in a Detroit Red Wing tin that is in the glove box. This gets emptied every couple weeks. After a few months it goes to the bank and exchanged for more MOD money........