Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
ChriSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black and IOM
Question A Few questions

Hey guys i have a 2012 SS/RS/M6, and i bought a "CarCam" it is a in car DVR Dash cam . I would like to have the Cam running all the time even when the car is off, but the battery on the cam only lasts about an hour so i was wondering if there is a way to have it plugged in to the power socket and have it always getting power? At the moment they power turns off when the car turns off.

Second. yesterday and again today when i try to lock the car with the key fob it will not lock so i thought that it maybe my Key fob so i used my spare and the car still would not lock. both times i had the Dash cam running. I was wondering if the lock problem could be connected to the cam being plugged in ?

And third. Tonight again with the dash cam plugged in and running, I was driving home from going out to eat with my girlfriend and the DIC said that i had low pressure in my rear driver side tire so i switch over to the tire pressure menu and for that side all i see is "--" for tire pressure. i was like great just what i need a Flat at 11 o clock at night on a dark road. i pull over check the tire and it looks fine i get back in the car and press the "ok" button and then the reading returns to normal.

Could all these things be linked or is it just a coincidence? thanks for the the help.

YEAH post 69 lol ok now that that is over with lol
ChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
SD2011SS

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS-RS
Connect it to the cig adapter in the center console, apparently that one works even with the car off??
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
DMC1805

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Do you have an aftermarket head unit?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
DMC1805

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
If you have an aftermarket head unit with a scosche kit, check out this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246752
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2011SS View Post
Connect it to the cig adapter in the center console, apparently that one works even with the car off??
Nope.

My guess is gremlins...

Or this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC1805 View Post
If you have an aftermarket head unit with a scosche kit, check out this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246752
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
ChriSS, to get power to the dashcam when your car is OFF, you will need to wire it directly to a KEYED Power source, a lot of us have hardwired our radar and gps units this way.....and NO, the lighter sockets do not stay on when you turn the car off.

CRAP.....WHAT WAS I THINKING!! I shouldn't post before I have had a cup of coffee! lol

THe only sourse in the cabin is teh homelink that is HOT at all times.....

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 09-12-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Chris I think you have some problems unrelated to the dash cam as well.

The TPMS sensor and keyless locking problem are probably things you might ask the dealer to check into, after all the car is under warranty. I just hope they can duplicate the problem. I have a 2012 SS, sometimes my passenger door doesn't lock with the remote, but they can't get it to do it in the shop.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The only constant on 12v source inside the cabin is the HomeLink buttons. It is directly wired to the battery. That's how I wired my dash cam.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
ChriSS, to get power to the dashcam when your car is OFF, you will need to wire it directly to a KEYED Power source, a lot of us have hardwired our radar and gps units this way.....and NO, the lighter sockets do not stay on when you turn the car off.
Incorrect. That's actually the opposite of what he wants to do. A keyed source of switched accessory power, turns off when the key is not in the ignition or accessory position. What he wants is a 12v constant power source. The problem with this is the car cam will create excess current drain (>150mA) and may kill the battery if it sat overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
The only constant on 12v source inside the cabin is the HomeLink buttons. It is directly wired to the battery. That's how I wired my dash cam.
The only? Not true. In fact, the homelink would definitely not be where he needs to source his constant power due to the amperage rating and current draw for the car cam. As stated before, I don't recommend it but there are many other sources of 12v constant; such as the radio harness and the white plug (pin 2 & 3) of the BCM.

I wouldn't do it because you'd be jump starting your car much more regularly. If you must do this, use a female cig socket adapter, go to the BCM and use an in-line 10 amp fuse.

However, I would avoid doing this. I haven't looked up the power consumption on the car cam but if it isn't designed to work with the vehicle off, you'll be adding a load to the vehicle's electrical system that wasn't there. While the vehicle is not running, there is nothing charging the battery. Adding that additional load could potentially drain the battery beyond its starting point.

Last edited by ecko04; 09-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
If it was my car, I would simply pull the plug on the cam and see if the symptoms go away, or am I missing something?

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
If it was my car, I would simply pull the plug on the cam and see if the symptoms go away, or am I missing something?
BAZINGA
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
ChriSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black and IOM
Thanks for the feed back guys i have been taking out the dash cam when not in use to see if i will have the door lock problems again. i just thought it was odd that it started when i started to use the cam. and for the tire pressure i im going to run it for the week and see if it does it again next Friday i plan to get the oil changed at the dealer (free change) and i will ask the guys there to look at it.
ChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote