Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #57
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjkageagfldafsgjk View Post
But the guys tail lamps were not OEM. Seriously dude thats what he was trying to say. That guy had a tinted out set of tails that were posted, and the 'stock' set he supposedly replaced them with weren't stock. He had cracked open the lamps, swapped out the lens, put in some LEDs, and painted part of the inside a different color than factory. He did not get ticketed for a set of factory tail lamps. He had modified the set on his vehicle when ticketed. Once he changed one thing that DOT # don't mean crap and he's sol.

Lol the only evidence that MD ruled factory tails are illegal is from a post on the internet by some dude who admitted he had modified his taillights, got caught in a lie, and then proceeded to delete all the evidence he could. What source of information is claiming the judge ruled factory g8gt tails illegal? The dude who admitted to modifying his tails and is whining about being ticketed for it? Typing in bold is fun.
Do you have any proof what-so-ever that this guy had the smoked/modified/whatever tail lights installed when he was pulled over and fined?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #58
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Do you have any proof what-so-ever that this guy had the smoked/modified/whatever tail lights installed when he was pulled over and fined?
No we don't.

What we also don't have proof of is that he was stopped with factory tail lights installed either.

We have one side of the story. And that side really isn't even their anymore because the guy deleted about anything to do with his tail lights.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #59
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
No we don't.

What we also don't have proof of is that he was stopped with factory tail lights installed either.

We have one side of the story. And that side really isn't even their anymore because the guy deleted about anything to do with his tail lights.
Innocent till proven guilty.... which I guess 'technically' he was, but he still has the option to appeal, and if he was telling the truth I'm sure he will.

As for the guy deleting everything, I think that would be somewhat standard practice before you go to appeal - this way ones opinion cannot be swayed by what is/isn't found on the internet. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #60
n!ght r!der
That Guy

Drives: really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Does this mean that every Prius driver in Maryland will be fined and forced to trade in their vehicles?

Whoa. This could be a good thing.
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #61
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
He admits that he changed his lights but says he was ticketed due to amount of reflective red. I haven't read all of the way through the thread but the taillights have been modified.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35912

From the thread

"I've ordered yet another set of lights and they will be left alone, nothing done to them at all. I've ordered all new chrome trim, new wheels, installed the tag, ordered new markers and am currently trying to put the car back to stock minus the GXP parts."

It sounds like the cop could have cited him for several things but let him off easy with a $85 fine. Kind of reminds me of when someone is pulled over for speeding but gets a seatbelt ticket while they are wearing their seatbelt.

And another thing, why would you bring in a brochure for evidence instead of actual pictures of the car that was ticketed.

Last edited by BigRigMike; 07-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #62
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
Kind of reminds me of when someone is pulled over for speeding but gets a seatbelt ticket while they are wearing their seatbelt.
been there done that
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #63
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This story made its way to Jalopnik.

If the state of Maryland wants to supercede federal law, then the state should offer a free aftermarket tail lamp that follows its law. Otherwise, I hope this goes to a federal court and gets overturned.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #64
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Haha good old Jackalope... never gets outta trouble for long enough to get his head above water. He is on CobaltSS net as he used to own one. That guy has problems with the Maryland police on his case like you wouldn't believe...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #65
Brokinarrow

Quote:
He admits that he changed his lights but says he was ticketed due to amount of reflective red. I haven't read all of the way through the thread but the taillights have been modified.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35912

From the thread

"I've ordered yet another set of lights and they will be left alone, nothing done to them at all. I've ordered all new chrome trim, new wheels, installed the tag, ordered new markers and am currently trying to put the car back to stock minus the GXP parts."

It sounds like the cop could have cited him for several things but let him off easy with a $85 fine. Kind of reminds me of when someone is pulled over for speeding but gets a seatbelt ticket while they are wearing their seatbelt.

And another thing, why would you bring in a brochure for evidence instead of actual pictures of the car that was ticketed.
Ah ha, I see. And on the last part, lil shady there.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #66
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

In post #10 of this thread, he says he brought in pictures of stock G8's sitting on a dealership lot and showed the judge the pictures. She still said they were not legal.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #67
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjkageagfldafsgjk View Post
But the guys tail lamps were not OEM. Seriously dude thats what he was trying to say. That guy had a tinted out set of tails that were posted, and the 'stock' set he supposedly replaced them with weren't stock. He had cracked open the lamps, swapped out the lens, put in some LEDs, and painted part of the inside a different color than factory. He did not get ticketed for a set of factory tail lamps. He had modified the set on his vehicle when ticketed. Once he changed one thing that DOT # don't mean crap and he's sol.

Lol the only evidence that MD ruled factory tails are illegal is from a post on the internet by some dude who admitted he had modified his taillights, got caught in a lie, and then proceeded to delete all the evidence he could. What source of information is claiming the judge ruled factory g8gt tails illegal? The dude who admitted to modifying his tails and is whining about being ticketed for it? Typing in bold is fun.
He went with the same strategy as people with track-related warranty issues. Of course, those guys are engaging in warranty fraud. This guy did it legally. He deleted evidence that suggested he did anything illegal. He can do this under his 1st and 5th amendment rights.

He may have modified his tail lamps at one time. If you read any of the posts on this thread, you would see that most of us do not dispute this. What we dispute is the ruling on OEM tail lamps. We already know that modified tail lamps are illegal in many states. You don't need to educate us on what we already know. Focus on the court ruling, not the person in court. The ruling affects other people. This guy's behavior regarding his tail lamps does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
No we don't.

It doesn't matter what tail lamps he had at the time of the stop. As far as court arguments go, the point that he had OEM lamps on the car was never disputed, meaning that it was never on record that he had any other set of lamps. Even if he did have aftermarket lamps or modified lamps, the court case never mentioned it. Had the court case mentioned custom or aftermarket lamps, this would have never made the press. People get routinely ticketed for having aftermarket lenses, so it would be far too ordinary to make the automotive news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Haha good old Jackalope... never gets outta trouble for long enough to get his head above water. He is on CobaltSS net as he used to own one. That guy has problems with the Maryland police on his case like you wouldn't believe...
This is starting to sound like a case of bias against him. I'm wondering if he could prove this is some sort of discrimination.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #68
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
This is starting to sound like a case of bias against him. I'm wondering if he could prove this is some sort of discrimination.
I would put money on it. A lot of money from his stories that he told us.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #69
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
It doesn't matter what tail lamps he had at the time of the stop. As far as court arguments go, the point that he had OEM lamps on the car was never disputed, meaning that it was never on record that he had any other set of lamps. Even if he did have aftermarket lamps or modified lamps, the court case never mentioned it. Had the court case mentioned custom or aftermarket lamps, this would have never made the press. People get routinely ticketed for having aftermarket lenses, so it would be far too ordinary to make the automotive news.
Can you give me a link to the court case?
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #70
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Case was just settled. Judge reversed ruling, fine will be refunded, officer that made the traffic stop will be retrained.