Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-25-2022, 06:42 PM   #1
Vaddy

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
DIY Turbo Kit for LFX?

Hi, so I've been wanting to make a turbo kit for the Camaro. There's a shop near me where they will build a turbo kit and tune it for our cars, issue being turbos are underneath the cars. I am the type to love showing off and was thinking of creating my own turbo kit from an existing kit. Is this a good idea or is there a reason why I've only seen rear-mounted and underneath turbos for our cars? And I am aware of the procharger but not good enough sound but if I am desperate I will go for that option.
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
Vaddy

Also to add, theres a turbo kit for 5th gen but for the SS model, possible to use that and fabricate other stuff?
Old 10-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
What’s the shop?

BUILD STATUS: LOADING BOOST . . .
BatmaroBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:02 AM   #4
Vaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmaroBeauty View Post
What’s the shop?
TeamRXP in South Florida
Old 10-29-2022, 02:39 AM   #5
Vaddy

Been researching a bit and I think I would be able to use the kit pretty seamlessly. I was worried about oilling the turbo because I dont know where it is in the engine but I forgot oilless turbos exist. And as for the exhaust manifold, alot of welding will be happening to fit it. Everything else is basically plug n play since SS models share the same chassis and everything except engine. If anyone is curious about which kit Im looking at here you go https://huronspeed.com/product/cam5t4/
Old 10-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #6
xlmusicp
LTCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT / 2014 C7 M7 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaddy View Post
Been researching a bit and I think I would be able to use the kit pretty seamlessly. I was worried about oilling the turbo because I dont know where it is in the engine but I forgot oilless turbos exist. And as for the exhaust manifold, alot of welding will be happening to fit it. Everything else is basically plug n play since SS models share the same chassis and everything except engine. If anyone is curious about which kit Im looking at here you go https://huronspeed.com/product/cam5t4/
Same chassis different EVERYTHING else. You'd be better off IMHO having the shop custom build your hor and cold side piping and purchase anything else you'd need for the setup separately. That said you won't be able to push anything past 550whp reliably without building/forging the engine.

Note: 550whp reliability really depends on the upkeep/maintenance of your current engine. Ex: Before I forged/built my engine, I blew a rod w/several damaged pistons due to confirmed lack of maintenance by the previous owner of my car.

xlmusicp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
Vaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlmusicp View Post
Same chassis different EVERYTHING else. You'd be better off IMHO having the shop custom build your hor and cold side piping and purchase anything else you'd need for the setup separately. That said you won't be able to push anything past 550whp reliably without building/forging the engine.

Note: 550whp reliability really depends on the upkeep/maintenance of your current engine. Ex: Before I forged/built my engine, I blew a rod w/several damaged pistons due to confirmed lack of maintenance by the previous owner of my car.
Yea I know, I just want to be able to join the FI community lol even if that means I can only push 1psi, I definitely wanna get the engine rebuilt and forged. And how come I would need a shop? Would I have clearance issues with the kit? Cause I was thinking of recording it to help all the v6 camaro guys get into turboing their cars without having to get someone else to do everything.