Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Ever Heard of Car Pro C-Quartz?

A buddy of mine is putting this on his BMW M3 today, I've never heard of it but he's trying to make it sound like the most amazing thing ever. Wondering if any of you have heard of this stuff:

http://www.cquartz.com/index.php?opt...uartz&catid=41

Opinions? Sounds kind of hokey to me but am curious to hear the experts chime in.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Prospective Buyer

Drives: Acura TL Acura MDX
I'm no expert. I still wash our cars with a hose. But that seems like a glorified wax.
Prospective Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective Buyer View Post
I'm no expert. I still wash our cars with a hose. But that seems like a glorified wax.
Seems more like a sealant to me . . . like to hear what Junkman and Dylan think - I'm a Machine Superwax User.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Theres a few relatively new nano-coatings on the market and this is one of them. They are impressive, but some of the claims are a tad over-exaggerated... its a type of product thats still early in its development and will probably continue to get better and change as the products are out there more.

I know Ryan has played with it quite a bit and Phil from DetailersDomain is extremely familiar with them (talked to him at some length about the products during our dealer training at Adam's HQ) so they'll be able to provide more insight.

At this point in the game I'm not entirely sold on them yet, and there is a large margin of error in the application and use of the product (Phil can elaborate on that too) but they are interesting products. One thing I don't understand is the claim on one hand that it will produce a high gloss/intense shine on paint, but then further down the page claims to not gloss or effect on matte paint. So which is it? Adds gloss or doesn't add gloss? Hard for a product to claim it does both things.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Tecca

Drives: ...
Cquartz is a awesome product, the technology behind it isn't new been around in the european market for a few years. It puts a hard candy like coating on the car that is supposed to be scratch resistant, I am not sold on that but it does leave a superior protective coating on the car.

There are really only 3 competitors in this type of Nano Coatings, do not compare these to sealants, or waxes such as Adams, BFWD, Mequires, etc..

CarPro Cquartz
Optimum Opti-Coat and Opti-Coat 2.0
Gtecniq C1

Cquarts is the user friendly product that anyone can use without much troubles, just apply very very thinly and 2-3 quarts should be used but most on'y put one.

With Optimum Opti-Coat and Gtecnig C1 you need to go through training to put on. However this is the real stuff, and looks absolutly amazing. Plus rain sheets off of it like you just dried your car. This is the best of the best.

Opti-Coat 2.0 is a user friendly version of opti-Coat, you still need a little skill to put it on, however I put this highly over Cquartz in the protection catagory. This is my go to product on rims.

With that said I still prefer to use glazes, waxes, and sealant over coatings on my paint.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Theres a few relatively new nano-coatings on the market and this is one of them. They are impressive, but some of the claims are a tad over-exaggerated... its a type of product thats still early in its development and will probably continue to get better and change as the products are out there more.

I know Ryan has played with it quite a bit and Phil from DetailersDomain is extremely familiar with them (talked to him at some length about the products during our dealer training at Adam's HQ) so they'll be able to provide more insight.

At this point in the game I'm not entirely sold on them yet, and there is a large margin of error in the application and use of the product (Phil can elaborate on that too) but they are interesting products. One thing I don't understand is the claim on one hand that it will produce a high gloss/intense shine on paint, but then further down the page claims to not gloss or effect on matte paint. So which is it? Adds gloss or doesn't add gloss? Hard for a product to claim it does both things.
It also seems like it could be one of those products that you would really have to apply to perfect paint. Once you apply it to your car, it seems like your options become limited?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Tecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
It also seems like it could be one of those products that you would really have to apply to perfect paint. Once you apply it to your car, it seems like your options become limited?
No, and kinda no. The car should be fully polished before application, however it will hide some minor swirls.

You can always remove it with some compound.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
baup5f

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Coupe
Teccboxx,
Ever heard of the product CilaJet?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Tecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by baup5f View Post
Teccboxx,
Ever heard of the product CilaJet?
Man I haven't heard of that stuff for awhile. I never looked twice at that because when it came out it had a 10 year warrenty on it. If I remember right I saw it on Jay Leno's garage. It is a two part epoxy pre-mixed coating. What's unique about it is that it can go on not only the paint but all trim and metal pieces on the car. I think this is what some dealers try to sell you when you buy your car as well.

I have never used or seen the stuff in person.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I've had cquartz on my wife's ride for about 7 months now. So far it's holding up better than a sealant, it still beads and sheets water like day 1, and it does seem to have a anti dirt effect during the rain. My wife's car doesnt seem get nearly as dirty as it used to ( maybe it's just my mind telling me it was worth $60 ). So far overall I've been pretty impressed with the stuff; her ride is outdoors 24/7 and was getting to be a big PITA to keep clean and protected (let's face it the camaro gets more love). I'm hoping it lasts the 2 years it claims, if it does it's worth it to loose the hassle on my wife's ride. Some benefits to cquartz over opticoat or gtechniq would be you can lay wax or sealant over cquartz, and it's much easier to apply than the other two. It applys and removes very easily, it doesn't require advanced skills like the other products do. As tempted as I have been to wax my wife's ride, it really hasn't been necessary, and I'm doing my own personal durability test with the stuff for future reference. All that's been on my wife's car since January is 1 layer of cquartz, I have been tempted to lay down some reload, but for pure durability testing I have the reload sitting on my shelf of goodies until a later date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk