Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Culb

Drives: 2012 2LS
Lighting Experts: Help! Oracle afterburners LED issue

There are three LED lights on my right outside afterburner that are not lighting up. The bulbs are fine, because they occasionally come back on. I don't think it's the afterburner itself, because the picture below is from a replacement that was just sent to me and then reinstalled. The reason I don't think it's the afterburner is because with the original lights, the SAME three LEDs were out in the same spot.

It worked for a while, and then those three LEDs started going out for maybe 10 seconds, then coming back on for 10 seconds, then going back off again. Now they typically stay off for longer, but do occasionally come back on.

AAC's customer service said "Take the new one out and test it for a while. It could be that there is too much pressure on the back of the ring in that area causing the leds to go out.", however I don't really want to take the lens back off yet if there is an easier solution, especially because it's been raining a lot lately (though there is no moisture inside the lens, so I don't think the rain had anything to do with it, but maybe.)

Does anyone know what could be causing this before I take the lens off? Is it possible that it's just a wiring issue since both lights were doing it in the same spot? I don't see why that would affect it, but I'm not an electrician. I was thinking about re-T tapping it into a different part of the original factory wiring to see if that somehow made a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys might give. I tried searching on this site and google for similar issues but couldn't really find anything...

Culb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Culb

So what should I do then? Should I drill another hole to relieve some of the pressure, then fill that with silicone? I already have the hole that the wire is running through filled with silicone (on all 4 lights), but if I were to uncork that, I think moisture would get in.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Culb

I'm updating this in case anyone else may have this issue, but it turns out that the problem might be the resistor on the back has come loose (according to AAC). There is one for every three LEDs, and when I pressed down the one behind the three that were out, it would light up again until I took my finger off of it.

I also provided wrong information in my original post. The three LEDs that are out in the picture were not the *exact* same three LEDs out in the same spot as the original afterburner; they were one group of three away from the original three that were out. So I just thought it was the same three out on the replacement. I should have checked more precisely.

However, AAC customer service has been nothing but helpful and has consistently worked with me to get me fixed up. Stuff can happen with any product from any company, so I'm just happy that their customer service has been so great and helpful.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
fymanva

Drives: 2013 LT2 RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
Don't buy these from Phastek- have yet to get a working set

I have the same problem here with the LED Afterburner Half Ring Set from Phastek/Oracle..... for $180 and atrocious customer support.
Don't buy anything from Phastek Performance! I have yet to receive a set that works right out of the box.

Fymanva
Gloucester, VA
2013 Camaro LT2 RS 'Vert Crystal Red Tintcoat
Attached Images

fymanva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
I had this same problem...started with just one and now its like that on all four...i just disconnected them...didnt feel like re opening the lenses and possibly having the same issue again...i thought about trying to make a diffuser type ring to go over it and see if that would help hide the leds that went out but havent had time to mess with it..im not a fan of being able to see the individual dots anyways...
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fymanva View Post
I have the same problem here with the LED Afterburner Half Ring Set from Phastek/Oracle..... for $180 and atrocious customer support.
Don't buy anything from Phastek Performance! I have yet to receive a set that works right out of the box.

Fymanva
Gloucester, VA
2013 Camaro LT2 RS 'Vert Crystal Red Tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Fymanva I am sorry to hear that you are not receiving the support to help correct your problem. If Phastek is not replying to you promptly please send a message to me directly so that I can help you get this situation corrected.
Fymanva,

We are sorry you are still having a problem with the Oracle Afterburners. We do see that we have sent you a warranty set already to replace the first set you had a problem with. I do see from your emails to us that you had already talked to Oracle yesterday. I know after we received your email this morning that we offered to have you send us the tail lights so we could install the afterburners for you to save you the trouble. I know we have since talked and we do have a single afterburner that we will be shipping out today. We have tested the afterburner to make sure that it is working properly.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
fymanva

Drives: 2013 LT2 RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
Now it's all four that have at least one non-working LED.
Being the Phastek is out of stock, and this will be the third time of installing and re-installing, I have again contacted Oracle.
They told me the kits won't work in Camaro's that are producing over 14v DC, and I would need to install a voltage regulator.
No where does it state that to the customer.
To be fair- it's not Phastek's fault, but it would have been helpful to know this in advance to my purchase. (I would not have purchased them, or in hindsight- put the waste of hours of time and dollars of damage to the tail light assemblies).
This was the worst install and continuous failures I have ever experienced in my customizing history. Sounds like this is not the first time for a LED taillight mod to get kicked to the curb.
fymanva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
justaspade
This Is Bumblebee

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
I have the same issues with 3 LEDs except it's on the halo for the headlight. Same thing though, it's off, on, no consistency. I already exchanged it before I even put it in this summer. Three LEDs for whatever reason we're out on both rings, but not the same LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk