Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
CamaroSS8491

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS-3
Future suspension upgrade...

Let me start this off by saying I'm basically illiterate when it comes to suspensions.

I want to upgrade my suspension but I'm not sure what I need and what I don't need. The car is 100% daily driver and thats all I plan on using it for. Most of the roads that I drive on are old country winding roads. My goal is to upgrade the suspension to make it a more enjoyable ride. I've already increased the hp and tq a bit and might add a SC in the future(still on the fence about that), so whatever I do, I want to make sure that it will accommadate any future power upgrades I make.

I would appreciate any info you guys have and thanks in advance for any help...
CamaroSS8491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
On a budget : Springs, sway bars and trailing arms:
If you would like to spend more: minus the springs and add coil overs and a complete bush kit.
Research companies on here : Pedders, pfadt, eibach, hotchkis, bmr and the list goes on and on and on...
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
Lowering Springs, Sway Bars, and Sold Subframe Bushings.

The springs will make the car look fantastic while the sways will give you more confidence around those tight corners (a must have)

The subframe bushings will benefit you really well if you plan on having a lot of horsepower/tq. They reduce wheel hop and help with other things that in the longrun would slow you down.

I would go with pfadt racing.. www.pfadtracing.com they're a very good company and seem to have the best customer support and performance mods on the camaro5 forums.

Good luck!

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq

Last edited by gmag21; 08-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I am going with the Pedder's Camaro Street Xa package and Pedder's CAMAROSOLUTIONB sway bars

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
CamaroSS8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
On a budget : Springs, sway bars and trailing arms:
If you would like to spend more: minus the springs and add coil overs and a complete bush kit.
Research companies on here : Pedders, pfadt, eibach, hotchkis, bmr and the list goes on and on and on...
I've been doing my due dilegence but like I stated I'm not suspension savy so I want to make sure I'm getting what I need. To be honest when suspension is like latin to me.......

Thanks for the help its good stuff....
Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Read this thread to learn more about the new Camaro's suspension: The Book

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS8491 View Post
Let me start this off by saying I'm basically illiterate when it comes to suspensions.

I want to upgrade my suspension but I'm not sure what I need and what I don't need. The car is 100% daily driver and thats all I plan on using it for. Most of the roads that I drive on are old country winding roads. My goal is to upgrade the suspension to make it a more enjoyable ride. I've already increased the hp and tq a bit and might add a SC in the future(still on the fence about that), so whatever I do, I want to make sure that it will accommadate any future power upgrades I make.

I would appreciate any info you guys have and thanks in advance for any help...
For the kind of driving and application you are describing I would recommend springs, sway bars, end links, and rear trailing arms. In a nut shell...

The lowering springs will not only give your Camaro a more aggressive look, but will optimize the performance of your factory shock absorbers and lower the vehicle's center of gravity.

The sway bars will eliminate the infamous factory under steer, reduce body roll, and increase steering response. The end links go along with the sway bars and are needed to beef up the weak factory links that tend to fail when stiffer sway bars are added.

The rear trailing arms will increase traction and eliminate wheel hop. They allow the rear suspension to respond to road conditions more quickly and keep the tires in contact will the pavement.

If you have any more questions or need help selecting components feel free to contact me. Thanks
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
I know everyone here is talking lowering springs, but coilovers are the way to go. With just the springs you will place a lot more stress on the stock struts and they wear out faster. While they are less expensive they also suffer from a lack of adjustability. If you go with either Phadt or Pedders coilovers you will get adjustability and have a nice smooth ride for the daily stuff then twist a few knobs and have track ready beast. Sway bars are also probably the first thing I would do, radius arm bushings then coilovers and then the rest of the bushings.
Both Phadt and Pedders are top notch in every way.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
I know everyone here is talking lowering springs, but coilovers are the way to go. With just the springs you will place a lot more stress on the stock struts and they wear out faster. While they are less expensive they also suffer from a lack of adjustability. If you go with either Phadt or Pedders coilovers you will get adjustability and have a nice smooth ride for the daily stuff then twist a few knobs and have track ready beast. Sway bars are also probably the first thing I would do, radius arm bushings then coilovers and then the rest of the bushings.
Both Phadt and Pedders are top notch in every way.
If coil overs are in your budget I absolutely agree.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
If your plan is daily driver only I would not change anything. If you are experiencing shortcomings of the stock suspension then I would make the appropriare adjustments. Like bi11ymc wrote, check this out http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=book
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
CamaroSS8491

Thanks for all the info and the link it is a big help. Its starting to make a little bit of sense......

So, if I go with just the springs then the stock struts will wear out faster? If that is the case when it comes time to replace the stock struts can I buy coil overs to use with the springs I have or is it 2 different systems?
does that make any sense?..

Again thanks for all the info you guys are great....
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS8491 View Post
Thanks for all the info and the link it is a big help. Its starting to make a little bit of sense......

So, if I go with just the springs then the stock struts will wear out faster? If that is the case when it comes time to replace the stock struts can I buy coil overs to use with the springs I have or is it 2 different systems?
does that make any sense?..

Again thanks for all the info you guys are great....
As long as you stick with a lowering spring that doesn't lower your car more than 1.25-1.4 you will not negatively effect the longevity of your stock dampers. Generally, coil overs replace all of your existing hardware but we can set you up with a coil over that can utilize your existing lowering springs in order to save you some money.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
CamaroSS8491

Let me ask this for those that are saying add a sway bar. If you add a sway bar to correct the factory understeer wont that increase the oversteer and make the car more squirrly?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
no
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote